Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a Mid 90's 205

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Looking for a Mid 90's 205

    I'm looking to get our first MasterCraft, I have it narrowed down to 96+ 205 preferred, would entertain other options as well such as a 190 but really leaning towards open bow for cruising. Main uses would be wakeboarding, barefoot, and non-competition skiing. Looking to stay under $16k.

    Thanks!
    1996 ProStar 205

  • #2
    http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=51693
    James

    1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=51669
      James

      1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks James, I've been talking to Jason already on that 1996 205, hadn't seen that 94 yet.
        1996 ProStar 205

        Comment


        • #5
          I know you are looking for an open bow, and if that is what you want, I would get it, otherwise you will always be wanting one. That being said, if you cannot find a 205, here is a 190 that looks to be pretty clean and has the upgraded LT-1 engine. Not sure if you have done your research or not, but in 94 MC went to all fuel injected engines. In 93 they offered the LT-1 engine, but the standard engine was carbureted. Good luck with the search. The spring may offer a little better selection as well.

          http://bham.craigslist.org/boa/3466266231.html

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by CC2MC View Post
            I know you are looking for an open bow, and if that is what you want, I would get it, otherwise you will always be wanting one. That being said, if you cannot find a 205, here is a 190 that looks to be pretty clean and has the upgraded LT-1 engine. Not sure if you have done your research or not, but in 94 MC went to all fuel injected engines. In 93 they offered the LT-1 engine, but the standard engine was carbureted. Good luck with the search. The spring may offer a little better selection as well.

            http://bham.craigslist.org/boa/3466266231.html
            I keep going back and forth in my head over the 205 vs 190. How often would I need the front bow? Is it actually comfortable enough to hold say two average sized adults?

            My main concern is with someone skiing you lose the backseat unless they ski from the top of a tower which for the people that would be skiing with me wouldn't be a big deal. One could also use the rear eyelet for them as well.

            I have a line on a great 97' 190 LT1 in awesome shape that I might grab.
            1996 ProStar 205

            Comment


            • #7
              Well, for me, I really wanted the open bow and, though I do not use it every time I go out, it is nice to have the extra seating. Yes, two average size adults can sit up there and be comfortable, but remember what this boat is made to do. Not really made for cruising in comfort. Think about the amount of people you would typically ride with too. I think the 190 is rated for 7 where the 205 is rated for 10. Not that I ride with 10, or would even know where all 10 would sit, but at least I know I have the option. I do not really do too much skiing so I do not run into the problem of worrying about those in the back seat, but you do have a point. I have tied the tube up to the ski pole and I think the people who were sitting in the back did move to the bow, but I mostly just tie up to my tower now.

              If you have a good line on a 190, I would say go check it out. If you have any questions about it, just post them on the forum and you will probably get more answers and opinions than you might expect. And welcome to Team Talk!
              Last edited by CC2MC; 12-28-2012, 11:54 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm armchair searching at the moment, nothing in MN with it being winter. Been looking all over the place, the 190 is in CO but I know the dealer it is at and trust them for a blind buy. Main concern with the 190 besides space is wake for wakeboarding, while I won't be doing huge tricks (prior concussions) I still enjoy straight airs.

                Found a few I'm going to email about, hard part will be figuring out how to "look" at them. I have buddies in the areas of the first 2, so that should work.

                1996 Mastercraft ProStar 205
                http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/3488945201.html

                1996 Mastercraft ProStar 205
                http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/boa/3470671259.html

                1999 Mastercraft ProStar 205
                http://tulsa.craigslist.org/boa/3469295024.html

                1996 Mastercraft Prostar 205
                http://goldcountry.craigslist.org/boa/3467803481.html
                1996 ProStar 205

                Comment


                • #9
                  Unless you are planning for a lot of slalom, I'd stick w 205. 94-95 is suppose to be a better ski wake. 96+ is probably better for boarding. One thing that would help is to find / buy / make a jumpseat for the walkthru like "east tx skier" did. That way, you and 3 buddies could go skiing, and use the pylon. IMO, Two guys on a 205 observer seat is a bit tight....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ben View Post
                    Unless you are planning for a lot of slalom, I'd stick w 205. 94-95 is suppose to be a better ski wake. 96+ is probably better for boarding. One thing that would help is to find / buy / make a jumpseat for the walkthru like "east tx skier" did. That way, you and 3 buddies could go skiing, and use the pylon. IMO, Two guys on a 205 observer seat is a bit tight....
                    ^^+1 - I have '95 205. Great wake for slalom, makes an ok wake for boarding. If your going to board get one with a tower. You run out of space really quick. I use my open bow mostly for stuff and people. Even when boarding with a tower + ballast - not great sitting in back seats.

                    Most of the time my back seat stays home. If you look ones with towers take a close look at the installation points. These boats were not designed to have towers so make sure they were installed properly and not causing stress cracks at the deck/tower union.
                    sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by blakekrone View Post
                      I'm armchair searching at the moment, nothing in MN with it being winter. Been looking all over the place, the 190 is in CO but I know the dealer it is at and trust them for a blind buy. Main concern with the 190 besides space is wake for wakeboarding, while I won't be doing huge tricks (prior concussions) I still enjoy straight airs.

                      Found a few I'm going to email about, hard part will be figuring out how to "look" at them. I have buddies in the areas of the first 2, so that should work.

                      1996 Mastercraft ProStar 205
                      http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/3488945201.html

                      1996 Mastercraft ProStar 205
                      http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/boa/3470671259.html

                      1999 Mastercraft ProStar 205
                      http://tulsa.craigslist.org/boa/3469295024.html

                      1996 Mastercraft Prostar 205
                      http://goldcountry.craigslist.org/boa/3467803481.html
                      The only one of those I would be interested in is the last one. Houston is not in good shape, Dallas is custom. That does not appear to be factory gel. It is either paint or a wrap. Also custom leather? It may be ok but it is a long way away from you to take a chance. The third is not that great of shape and that model year is not that hot on resale. The last one looks really nice.
                      sigpic1996 Prostar 205 LT-1

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jakethebt View Post
                        The only one of those I would be interested in is the last one. Houston is not in good shape, Dallas is custom. That does not appear to be factory gel. It is either paint or a wrap. Also custom leather? It may be ok but it is a long way away from you to take a chance. The third is not that great of shape and that model year is not that hot on resale. The last one looks really nice.
                        I'll second that, I was going to link it but noticed you already had it. That's a nice boat. There's this one too:
                        http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/boa/3469159928.html

                        But I'd be calling the guy with the one for $16 and seeing how motivated he is to sell.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have been looking for a 205 for quite awhile as well. I think the listing in goldcountry is a buy and flip from this summer. I spoke to the previous owner earlier this year and he was asking less than $12k at that time.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by XtwentyNot View Post
                            I'll second that, I was going to link it but noticed you already had it. That's a nice boat. There's this one too:
                            http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/boa/3469159928.html

                            But I'd be calling the guy with the one for $16 and seeing how motivated he is to sell.
                            Saw that one as well, with it being a 95' it's first gen hull, 2nd gen is better from what I've been told/read.
                            1996 ProStar 205

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Whisky View Post
                              I have been looking for a 205 for quite awhile as well. I think the listing in goldcountry is a buy and flip from this summer. I spoke to the previous owner earlier this year and he was asking less than $12k at that time.
                              Talked to current owner a bit, I was trying to do some research to see if it was previously listed as well, he did mention he was the 3rd owner.

                              The boat is in great shape from the pics, tempted to make him a blind offer and see what he says.
                              1996 ProStar 205

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X