Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1986 MasterCraft Prostar Production

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1986 MasterCraft Prostar Production

    I have a 1986 Prostar Gray with the Red Rainbows on the sides. It seems that folks either love or hate the rainbow boats. I am a lover, only reason I bought it. It seems that there just are not many 1986 boats around. All my books and materials have dates of mid year 1985. It was actually sold to the first owner in January of 1986. Was this a partial year production boat or were sales down with everybody waiting for the 1987 new design to come out. It would be cool to see what the production numbers were for 1986. I never meet myself on the water and many times people ask me what year it is and they've never seen one in person only in photos. What does everybody know about these oddballs?

    Also, behind the rear seat, it has the Old Style MasterCraft Competition Ski Boat in a matching decal on panel, is this anything special or did all the boats have this? I have seen and been in old S&S boats that did not. Never been in another 1986.

    Look forward to hearing from everybody.

  • #2
    Originally posted by phickman View Post
    I have a 1986 Prostar Gray with the Red Rainbows on the sides. It seems that folks either love or hate the rainbow boats. I am a lover, only reason I bought it. It seems that there just are not many 1986 boats around. All my books and materials have dates of mid year 1985. It was actually sold to the first owner in January of 1986. Was this a partial year production boat or were sales down with everybody waiting for the 1987 new design to come out. It would be cool to see what the production numbers were for 1986. I never meet myself on the water and many times people ask me what year it is and they've never seen one in person only in photos. What does everybody know about these oddballs?

    Also, behind the rear seat, it has the Old Style MasterCraft Competition Ski Boat in a matching decal on panel, is this anything special or did all the boats have this? I have seen and been in old S&S boats that did not. Never been in another 1986.

    Look forward to hearing from everybody.
    The year model for each year are introduced in late July, early August and production goes to that period the next year. Nothing unusual about that. Production numbers, who knows, but MC, but it was just another normal year.
    The transom decal is correct for that boat, cause a friend had a white deck/hull with the red rainbow colors and that was the decal that was on his. I loved that boat.
    Charter Member Number 1

    Quote: 2RLAKE,
    At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.




    Comment


    • #3
      I just bought an 86 I love it. Mine is blue the rainbow dcals were pretty beat up so I removed them and just have the mastercraft with the two stars on the hull sides. It looks clean. I left the one on the transom for now. I also noticed that you don't see many of these either.

      Comment


      • #4
        As for the MC decal on the panel behind the rear seats , several people put MC decal there to "dress up the boat " when not using the back seat , kinda like putting MC decal on the windshield of your boat . I know both my 77 and 85 had them on the panel behind the rear seat .

        Comment


        • #5
          Finding a 1986 Master Craft is a rare treat. I had not see one in person since being a kid, until someone on my parents lake got one. It is a gray hull w/ blue rainbow decals. It looks pretty decent up close, however have only seen it in a boat house with a cover on it at all times. My parents had an 84 and did wait for the new 1987 Pro Star to come out, bypassing the 86........
          2009 MasterCraft 197 TT
          #46 of #100

          Comment


          • #6
            Could someone post a pic. I would love to see this.

            Tom
            Tom

            1988 ProStar 190 red/gray
            -Ford 351
            -OJ 13x11 prop
            -Kenwood Stereo

            Need a manual go here http://www.mastercraft.com/knowledge/owners_manuals/

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ProStar190Fan View Post
              Could someone post a pic. I would love to see this.

              Tom
              . .
              Attached Files
              STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ski_king View Post
                . .
                That's exactly like the one our friend had and what a sweet driving boat. I think that was the most comfortable driver positions I have ever had the privilege of sitting in.
                Charter Member Number 1

                Quote: 2RLAKE,
                At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.




                Comment


                • #9
                  So is the '86 esentially the same as the '83, '84, '85 - except it's not a starts and stripes scheme?
                  '97 Prostar 190 - LT-1

                  Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                    So is the '86 esentially the same as the '83, '84, '85 - except it's not a starts and stripes scheme?
                    Thats what I always understood, but someone on here said it was the 87 hull with the 85 deck. Also 86 was the year MC went from PCM to Indmar.
                    Last edited by ski_king; 09-03-2008, 08:51 AM.
                    STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ski_king View Post
                      Thats what I always understood, but someone on here said it was the 87 hull with the 85 deck. Also 86 was the year MC webnt from PCM to Indmar.
                      That's what I was told also about the deck and the boat. My 86 had the PCM in it though.
                      1995 Mastercraft Prostar 205

                      Former 1986 Mastercraft Skier

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        My 86' also has the PCM.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          There are also some related comments in the "Hull differences......." thread. To view them, click here.
                          MasterCraft /MariStar OEM Decals (1989 to 2001) for various models.
                          Over 70 different decals to choose from!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                            So is the '86 esentially the same as the '83, '84, '85 - except it's not a starts and stripes scheme?
                            Rainbow colors...
                            93 190
                            .
                            Don't be a boot licker
                            .

                            Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

                            sigpic

                            ..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

                            RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
                            NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

                            feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

                            .

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I have a friend that bought his new in 86 and still has it. The only problem he's had is his strut broke about5 years ago, not sure if it caused any other damage to the boat. To me the 86's are most similar to the 85's except the stars. They have very similar interiors (the fabric) ,they were all fiberglass ( seats and all ). And the most similar thing is they creeked! Every 85 or 86 I was ever in had a slightly noticable creeking noise under power. It never bothered me and we were told it was from the boat being all glass. I loved the boat but hated the graphics. If I owned one I would put the stars all the way around her.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X