Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Ski/wakeboard Boat!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • First Ski/wakeboard Boat!!!

    Hi everyone and respect to the MC fraternity. Just bought 1995 prostar 190 had a few silly newbie questions need help with:
    1. previous owner was not sure how long gas had been in engine supposedly 30 plus days, is there any way to verify if the gas is good or bad before starting the engine and causing probs?
    2. oil on dipstick looks black, what type of oil should I use to replace with the best money can buy?
    3. the previous owner says that the engine is a chevy engine? the only obvious things I can see are : black engine , with blue text EFI on it can anyone tell me which engine this is original or not, and is there a link to the engine break down and maintenance?
    4. the hull is in good condition, just at the bottom of the bow I guess where the boat was beached the gel coat is gone and I can see brown/gold fiberglass looking coat, with what and how should I repair this or is it ok to leave it like that?
    5. the prop looks to be original three blade, two blades have tips bent a little, no cracks or tears, is that ok, and if not can it be repaired or not worth it and does the type of prop effect the wake ? since we will be wake surfing and boarding ?
    Thanks for your time will post pictures asap appreciate in advance all the help I can get ....

  • #2
    1. Drain all gas and buy 91+ octane.

    2. Best oil is oil with Gold Particles in it. They haven't invented it yet, but that would be the best...

    3. Look into the manual, or take lots of BIG pictures and post them here...

    4. i would reapair everything and make it lke new... ( Search ) = Gelcoat. Lots of info here...

    5. Put a 6 blade prop on her. 3 is good so 6 would be better...

    Ps. ignore all but #1 & 3 as it's sunday night and I still feel a little woozy and can't think from 3 days on the lake...
    1999 MasterCraft Maristar, V210, 330 Hp LTR
    Mods: Upgraded Stereo, Amp, 6 Disk Changer, Zero-Flex Tower, Custom Fit Bimini Top, and of course...Teak Oil!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by wakesurfer View Post
      Hi everyone and respect to the MC fraternity. Just bought 1995 prostar 190 had a few silly newbie questions need help with:
      1. previous owner was not sure how long gas had been in engine supposedly 30 plus days, is there any way to verify if the gas is good or bad before starting the engine and causing probs?
      2. oil on dipstick looks black, what type of oil should I use to replace with the best money can buy?
      3. the previous owner says that the engine is a chevy engine? the only obvious things I can see are : black engine , with blue text EFI on it can anyone tell me which engine this is original or not, and is there a link to the engine break down and maintenance?
      4. the hull is in good condition, just at the bottom of the bow I guess where the boat was beached the gel coat is gone and I can see brown/gold fiberglass looking coat, with what and how should I repair this or is it ok to leave it like that?
      5. the prop looks to be original three blade, two blades have tips bent a little, no cracks or tears, is that ok, and if not can it be repaired or not worth it and does the type of prop effect the wake ? since we will be wake surfing and boarding ?
      Thanks for your time will post pictures asap appreciate in advance all the help I can get ....

      1. I'd drain the gas and replace.
      2. Newer boats are recommended to use 15W40. I was also told that if I can't find that it is OK to use 10-40. Someone will chime in though for your year. But I imagine it is the same.
      3. Post a pic and someone will know.
      4. Definitely get the gel repaired otherwise further damage will occur. Post some pics and you will get an idea of how bad the damage is.
      5. If it is an OJ prop, you can send it to them for repairs. Typically it costs $70 - $130
      '97 Prostar 190 - LT-1

      Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.

      Comment


      • #4
        Congrats on the new boat and welcome!

        You are getting all the right answers. Simple way to tell a GM from a Ford is the where the distributor is located. The Ford will have the dist in the front of the engine and the GM dist will be at the rear.

        Pictures are big on this site. Makes getting accurate answers much easier.
        - Peter
        TANDEM AXLE PACKAGE - $950 DELIVERED WHEEL IMAGE
        5 14X5.5 T06 WHEELS W/5 ST215/75R14 KENDA LOADSTAR RADIALS SS CENTER CAPS, LUGS, MOUNTED, BALANCED & READY TO INSTALL

        PM or email me for tire, wheel or package pricing.
        CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
        LED lights, Chrome & Powder Coated Lugs
        2 LED 6" BRAKE LIGHTS DELIVERED $25

        tiresplease@gmail.com

        Comment


        • #5
          At the risk of getting chastised...

          1: 30 or even 60 days isn't really an issue. If it's 90 days, you may want to drain it. If the boat runs, run it to half a tank, then fill it with fresh. Even if you drain it, you'll still be burning the stuff in the lines anyway. You won't be doing damage by running 2 month old gas, it just might run a bit rough until it gets fresh stuff.

          2: Oil is subjective. It's more important to change it with quality stuff (and a quality filter) at 50 hours or once a year than what you use. Some swear by Shell Rotella or Mobil 1, I like Amsoil 20-50 synthetic. Don't forget to change the tranny oil with Dextron 3 or 4.

          3: You'd need to post a pic or go by the serial numbers. The hull number would tell you what's supposed to be in the boat, the engine number will tell you what it is. Sounds like a Chevy 350 efi to me which was an option. See your manual or hit the knowledge center on the Mastercraft site.

          4: Yes, I would get the gel repaired. Some people don't worry about it, but I would at least roller (thin foam roller) some gel coat or marine enamel on it to keep it sealed.

          5: A new prop can be expensive. You can (and should) get your prop repaired. Those bent edges can cause vibration and affect performance. It's $100 well spent. If you really want to replace it, you can go to a 4 blade for a bit more hole shot.
          Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps. -Emo Phillips

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MariStar-Man View Post
            1. Drain all gas and buy 91+ octane.

            2. Best oil is oil with Gold Particles in it. They haven't invented it yet, but that would be the best...

            3. Look into the manual, or take lots of BIG pictures and post them here...

            4. i would reapair everything and make it lke new... ( Search ) = Gelcoat. Lots of info here...

            5. Put a 6 blade prop on her. 3 is good so 6 would be better...

            Ps. ignore all but #1 & 3 as it's sunday night and I still feel a little woozy and can't think from 3 days on the lake...
            Nice of you to answer with such a worthless post to a first time owner, considering you set a record for stupidest questions asked about their boat. You telling someone to do a search is priceless.
            1996 Prostar 190, 350 TBI and Powerslot

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Chicago190 View Post
              Nice of you to answer with such a worthless post to a first time owner, considering you set a record for stupidest questions asked about their boat. You telling someone to do a search is priceless.
              ROTFLMFAO. Exactly what I was thinking 190. Good thing John came along and made things right.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Chicago190 View Post
                Nice of you to answer with such a worthless post to a first time owner, considering you set a record for stupidest questions asked about their boat. You telling someone to do a search is priceless.
                omg, lmao!! that has to be the "post of the month". i am suprised he didn't post some 300 pics of his own boat.

                Comment


                • #9
                  You guys are taking yourselves to seriously. My first question was how to take care of my teak. It was a pile on, but all in good fun.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    thanks for the pun! I can relate, to the fun. Appreciate all the info, ....dont worry more to come have a good week ahead!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Awesome help! thanks a lot1

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        some pictures

                        thanks for all the help from the core. Here are some pictures.
                        Attached Files

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You have the standard 350 TBI engine. Very reliable and plenty of power.

                          Definitely fix the gelcoat damage ASAP.
                          1996 Prostar 190, 350 TBI and Powerslot

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            thanks a lot for taking the time to respond.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Chicago190 View Post
                              Nice of you to answer with such a worthless post to a first time owner, considering you set a record for stupidest questions asked about their boat. You telling someone to do a search is priceless.
                              Originally posted by scott023 View Post
                              ROTFLMFAO. Exactly what I was thinking 190. Good thing John came along and made things right.
                              I thought about adding some similar comments but figured I'd refrain. Glad I wasn't the only one with these thoughts.
                              '97 Prostar 190 - LT-1

                              Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X