X7- Disappointing performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X7- Disappointing performance

Hi Guys. First thanks for the advice received on the reason for the 12.5 x 12 four blade prop on my (new to me with 84hrs on the clock)2005 X7 with a 350 MCX engine. I am now in the position with Mastercraft where they are telling me to go to a UK dealer. My problem is that at 5100+ revs with just me in boat and a "perfect propeller" the boat only just reaches 40 mph (Checked with a GPS).

This performance is no better than my 1988 prostar powerslot with a 240 351 ford Inmar engine.
    I believed the X7 would do circa 45 to 50.

Can any other X7 owners give me a view of their top end performace.
    regards

Same boat as yours in the Prostar apparel, but I top out at 45mph with no gear and just me in the boat. Speed drops down to 42ish with gear and 3 or 4 people.
    -Cameron
    2007 ProStar 197
    1996 ProStar 190

Comment

I have a '10 X14v. I do not know my prop off hand, although I know it is smaller than my former boat 1997 PS190 with LT1. This boat hits a top-end of 45 mph. It does weigh over 1,000 lbs more than my last boat. While I am sure a larger prop would push me beyond 50 like my old boat... i would sacrifice pull power out of the hole... and at the end of the day, I am all about what the boat can do between 0 - 36 mph. I don't care much about anything beyond that. Just my $0.02.

Comment

Last time I checked , an x7 is a ski boat !! Not a racing boat

Comment

Originally posted by lettmeknow View Post
          Understood, but for those of us that barefoot top end is a big deal and 40 is pushing it for many of us. Sad to say, but the only way to avoid issues with top end on a 197 is to go beyond the MCX in the engine upgrade. By the way I'm with Euro, my 92 190 runs 47 loaded with the 351 HO. Would pull barefooters at 43 to 44 if they wanted/needed to. Top end is one of the reasons I haven't jumped to a 197.
          Last edited by 92 190 PS; 08-18-2010, 12:02 PM.
          2008 Prostar 197

Comment

Originally posted by lettmeknow View Post
            Thanks for your useless contirbution. It really helps build "team relationships". Do you not have anything better to do.

Comment

now kids, play nice please!

Comment

I'm pretty sure the 197/X7 should run 45 empty w/ a driver... 40 does seem low... a four blade prop is not going to help your top end. most of the time it cuts it down 1 or 2 mph.
                is the bottom of the boat clean?
                what is the altitude?
                fresh fuel in the boat?
                a perfect prop for one fellow may not be the the perfect one for another fellow.
                PM Eric @ OJ and talk with him. He will work with you till you are happy and that is guarantied!
                Last edited by DooSPX; 08-18-2010, 12:03 PM. Reason: saw Sodar posted speeds...
                1991 PROSTAR 190 Flagship Blue POWERSLOT OJ XMP CNC 13.7x17.5 .110 4B
                A.K.A. One of a kind mistake
                2011 Best In Show- 1987-2000 class

Trying to keep slalom alive

Need a new prop to fit your needs? Call OJ PROPS 800-359-9730

"It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are stupid, than to open it and prove it"?

Comment

Thanks for your input

Comment

Many thanks for taking the trouble to input.

Comment

Last comment Euro is you may want to adjust weight (front to back etc) in the boat a bit to see if it makes any difference. Might try a fat sac or similar and move it around and see if you gain any performance. Agree with Doo, have heard great things about Eric and if you call him with prop details and RPM's he can probably get you a MPH or two...
                      2008 Prostar 197

Comment

Originally posted by eurosysytem0 View Post
                        Many thanks for taking the trouble to input.
                        We are just trying to help out a fellow MC'er!

"It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are stupid, than to open it and prove it"?

Comment

Thanks, Hull is spotless. Fresh water lake at sea level. I appreciate your point about prop but my query relates to the standard spec and expected performance. My family undertake all 5 disciplines (Slalom, jump, tricks , wakeboard and barefoot) and as said by one of the other team talkers the top end issue is barefooting a 16+ stoner plus when I buy and expensive piece of kit I expect it to hit the speeds in the reviews. Again thanks for the input.

Comment

You obviously have a 1:1 transmission and it seems you are reving up properly. You could come up another 200 rpms and maybe a new prop will do that. Do you carry a lot of gear in the boat? A 5mph difference in speed between your boat and my boat does not make sense.
                            -Cameron
                            2007 ProStar 197
                            1996 ProStar 190

Comment

okay, thank you for clearing that up!
                              try taking as much weight out as you can and play will fuel load levels.
                              I would not expect more than 42 from the 197 hull with a MCX after a few people and gear in the boat. One reason why your older prostar was a rocket is because of wetted surface area of the hull. the 197/X7 is heavier for one, then add the extra (WHOLE LOT) of wetted surface area is a HUGE factor for top speed.
                              I want to touch again on props... the stock prop is a good average for the average owner to work at average altitudes, etc.
                              a prop tailored to YOUR needs will be a HUGE advantage. by the way, OJ has the try before you buy program. he will send you any prop you like and you dont pay until you want one of them or your happy.

btw, sounds like a great boat for a great family.! please post pics when you can.

Comment

Working...
                              X