Towing with a Land Rover LR4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing with a Land Rover LR4

The wife and I just bought a new Land Rover LR4 and just wondering if anyone has towed with one before. Although it won’t be my main tow vehicle, my main tow truck is Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel, it will be nice to know how the Rover will tow my X25 if the need ever arises. I know the Rover can handle 7700 lbs and the X25 with trailer gear comes close to that weight. Also just wondering if it is even worth buying the tow hitch receiver and the wiring harness for the Rover.
    Attached Files

I tow with my Discovery, and it tows our X1 + Trailer + 600lbs of lead just fine. I think you should get it.

My next car will be an LR4. Did you get the auto leveling suspension?

Comment

I guess they all have air suspension

Comment

I have a 07 LR3 that I tow my X2 with. I don't have any problems towing unless there are alot of hills and then it really gets a workout. But since I live in central Illinois I really don't have to worry about it.

Just to give you a heads up unless land rover changed things you may have to change the led lights out on your trailer with the old style bulbs. If you don't your trailer light will flash all the time. I had this problem and took it back to the dealer and told them they wired something wrong. They told me it was correct and had no idea why they flashed it must be a problem with my trailer lighting. I did a search online and found the problem and changed out the lights and everything works fine.

Comment

You'll be fine with an LR4 for towing the 25. It has a larger more powerful engine than the old LR3 and with air suspension you wont have the sagging look. Congrats on the purchase, I've always had a soft spot for Rover.

Comment

How do you get 25 with trailer and gear at near 7700 lbs?

Comment

X25 and LR4 rolling down the highway? That's some serious cash going by. I suggest pulling it past one of the occupy protests... Tehehe.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick911 View Post
                How do you get 25 with trailer and gear at near 7700 lbs?
                Full load and full fluids plus gear allotment plus trailer would still come in at slightly less than 6500lb.

Comment

Originally posted by willyt View Post
                  X25 and LR4 rolling down the highway? That's some serious cash going by. I suggest pulling it past one of the occupy protests... Tehehe.
                  Past? How about through??

Comment

Originally posted by GT500 MC View Post
                    Past? How about through??
                    You meant over, no...

Comment

Originally posted by MIskier View Post
                      You meant over, no...
                      Through, over, just don't miss any of them...

Comment

Not totally familiar with the LR4, but my Discovery is listed at 7700 pounds in LOW range - which of course isn't possible on the highway. In HI-range its 5500lbs. I've towed a 20 foot enclosed trailer (empty weight of 2200 lbs, loaded we were close to max weight) from Colorado to VA in the Rover...IMO the Disco is barely adequate as a tow vehicle. Mine has the 4.0 V8 and SLS rear suspension. The things that make it a great off-roader: Soft suspension, short wheelbase, long suspension travel, receiver hitch tucked under the bumper for better departure angle - all limit it's ability to as a towing rig. (and mine has been off-road in Moab, Colorado and Virginia mountains). I've owned mine since August '01, do all of my own wrenching on it, and will probably have it forever, warts and all!

I also own a Suburban - the longer wheel base, firmer suspension and more powerful engine of the Suburban make it far better as a tow vehicle, especially with heavy tandem axle trailers.

I know the LR4 isn't a body-on-frame, off road intended vehicle (although it is a very capable off-roader) and it has a much more powerful (and modern) engine - so it may tow better than the Discovery but I would re-check the towing capacity and the cost of adding the receiver hitch, trailer brake, etc. LR Dealers are not ashamed to charge for accessories
                        Jack
                        -----------------------------------------
                        1989 ProStar 190 Power Slot
                        Somewhere between SML and LKG

Comment

Originally posted by GT500 MC View Post
                          Through, over, just don't miss any of them...
                          Then don't forget to wash that slime off your bumper.

Comment

I've been towing my 08 Xstar with my LR3 for the past 4 years with no problems. There is plenty of power to spare and no problem pulling the hills. The LR4 should do even better.

Comment

Well I have a LR4 and a X-15 but havent tried the combo yet. I cant get over the $400 for the receiver attachment. Should pull well though. But for know mine stays behind the 2500.

Comment

Working...
                              X