Correct trailer position for Boat Buddy Latch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct trailer position for Boat Buddy Latch

I've heard different opinions and can't seem to get the correct info from the trailer manual, but for the 2004 trailer with the Boat Buddy Latch system, what is the correct way to trailer tow?

Should the pin be through the latch or in the safety position extended out of the latch.

I've been told by one dealer that if you tow the trailer with the pin in the latch then the pin will be bent, but it doesn't seem very safe with only the back straps and front winch strap during towing.

Comments and what others do please.

Thanks,

Rod

You'll get opinions on both sides here. The MC manual says leave it engaged as an extra measure of protection. I was told by my dealer to disengage it so it wouldn't get bent by the stresses placed upon it during towing.

My advice would be to disengage it and have an extra strap or chain connecting your bow eye to the trailer. I'd also recommend a strap over the top of the boat just behind the engine box connecting to the eyes on the trailer. My $.02.
    Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Comment

I leave mine engaged all the time. I have had 2 MC PS 190's, both with Boat Buddies, since 1991, and I have never had any problems with the pin getting bent. Perhaps it's luck, but I don't think so. I have a fairly steep ramp, and have had some inexperienced drivers in the tow vehicle pull me out of the water pretty agressively. I would think that would be the most extreme pressure on the pin that could happen (other than an accident). Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't there only be excessive pressure on the pin during agressive forward acceleration (or hard stop while in reverse), or while pulling the boat out of the water.

I often wonder how many of the stories about bent pins are a result of improperyly engaged pins during loading. in other words, leaving the pin closed and coming into it with the boat eye. That could certainly bend it.

Comment

I leave mine engaged all the time as well. I agree with Chris on the bent pins theory...
        If my words don't make sense, try reading them backwards.

Comment

I have always towed with it engaged. The wench strap should take enough pressure off the pin.

Comment

Chris, I think you're right on most bent pins. My father-in-law bent his that way.

Even so, were I still using the boat buddy, I'd be disengaging it and using something else as a backup. If things get truly hairy on the highway, that little pin isn't going to save the boat. There is zero chance of bending it while underway if it's not engaged. Not to say that your theory about the possibility of it being bent isn't perfectly plausible. No matter which side of the aisle you're on on this issue, I think everyone can agree that the winch isn't enough by itself and the more fail safe devices employed, the better.

Like I said, this question will continue to draw responses on both sides of the issue.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Comment

When I bought my '95 Prostar 190, the salesman told me to leave the pin in, so I did, and the bow eye literally wore through the pin in one season. When I took the Boat Buddy back to the dealer, the (new) salesperson said that the proper protocol was to only use it to pull the boat out of the water. They replaced it, and I've had no more problems until this month, when it ceased working. I think some of the recovery evolutions were kind of aggressive, since the pin is now bent, and won't trip the slider catch. I guess 10 years is pretty good working life for a slam-bang mechanical device. I'm going to replace it.
              "Wake? What wake?"
              Rob Shirley, Founder
              Mastercraft

Comment

I have always left mine engaged and never had a problem. I try to make sure it is in the middle of the eye. I pull up with the strap, never been able to make the boat buddy work like it should. I think I'm just afraid to drive the boat while on the trailer (story of boat through the back window )

Comment

I do the same thing Leroy. Well after I drive on.

The wife calls me abrasive
                  The kids call me Daddy Sweetwater
                  But the ladies, they just call me El Guapo

Comment

I leave the pin engaged. Also, I cannot say enough superlatives about the boat buddy. I changed from that ridiculous bar contraption on the 1980's trailer to the boat buddy. It's like going from dial-up to cable internet!
                    Brian

Current: 2000 ProStar 205

Former: 1987 ProStar 190

sigpic

Comment

I also leave mine engaged and have not had a problem (lots of towing; launching / loading). Before I give the command to pull the boat out of the water I always lean over the bow and attach the strap hook and crank it tight. I don't think the pin ever rests against the bow hook after I've snugged up the hook.

Comment

I too leave the pin in while towing and have not had a problem yet. I usually take the boat in and out of the water 5 times a week...when the weather's nice
                        Guns don't kill people, I kill people

Comment

A little WD-40 on the mechinisms a couple of times a year do wonders for ease of operation.

Comment

I just got my MC but have been a boat owner for a long time. My pin stays disengaged any time my boat is on the highway (my boat ramp is only 100 yards from home). I use a ratchet strap on the front eye and one across the transom. Some people have told me this is overkill butt years ago taking me new Ski Brendella home I happened to look in the rearview just as I hit a bump and saw my boat come 2" or better off the trailer. (The dealer told me I didn't need a transom strap) If for some reason the winch strap comes loose that pin will bend or worse. There is no such thing as to much protection for my boat. Just my 2 cents.
                            [Originally Posted by kjohnson
                            Did you take the boater's test prior to purchasing. Flush a $100 bill down the toilet. If it bothers you, you aren't ready to own a boat.

Jeff
                            Blue Skies and Soft Landings
                            2005 X-Star LQ9 with closed cooling
                            1998 PS205 Sammy W/Monster Tower SOLD

Comment

Couldn't agree more. Tie 'er down!

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Comment

Working...
                              X