Gas tax+boat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas tax+boat

Guys just wanted to remind some of you with the new year that many of you (especially nc guys) need to keep your reciepts for your boat gas this year. In NC your refund is roughly 34 cents a gallon. May not sound like much but if you burn gas like we do you could be due for a 300+ dollar refund at the end of the year. Thats pretty much your insurance bill for the year paid back by the state for tax usage you shouldn't be paying! d*** the man, save the empire. For state specific info check here

http://www.discoverboating.com/ownin...taxrefund.aspx

lol...not surprised that Illinois is not on the list... more $$$ for this state to waste any way they want.
    sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Has anyone done this before and had to show documentation for their number of gallons claimed?

For TX it states, "refund claims must be supported by fuel receipts containing the following information:
      name and location of sellar
      name of purchaser
      type of fuel purchased
      date of purchase
      number of gallons purchased
      price per gallon
      amount of tax paid on fuel

That is a lot of information I don't have! I figure I'll try and see if they request documentation.

Comment

Well, unfortunately I get screwed again in CA. At http://www.sco.ca.gov/ardtax_gastax_....html#sect2671 under the Gas Tax Refund General FAQ it says:

Is a refund available for the tax paid on gasoline used in a vessel?

Refunds of the tax paid on gasoline are available if the vessel is used in the ocean beyond the three (3) mile limit. Refunds of the tax paid also are available if used in propelling a vessel operated by its owner on waters located on private property owned or controlled by the claimant.
        I have my receipts from 2010. A log of good they are going to do me.
        Last edited by GoneBoatN; 01-15-2013, 01:48 PM.
        I love to travel, but hate to arrive. ~~ A. Einstein
        -----
        You donít stop riding because youíre getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.
        -----
        Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a Ride! ~~ Hunter S. Thompson
        -----
        My wakeboard is calling, and I must go ride! ~~ Me

Comment

^thats why I posted the reminder. We started saving receipts last year. Just wrote boat on them and stuffed them in the glovebox. Just in case

Comment

Originally posted by 02ProstarSammyD View Post
            Guys just wanted to remind some of you with the new year that many of you (especially nc guys) need to keep your reciepts for your boat gas this year. In NC your refund is roughly 34 cents a gallon. May not sound like much but if you burn gas like we do you could be due for a 300+ dollar refund at the end of the year. Thats pretty much your insurance bill for the year paid back by the state for tax usage you shouldn't be paying! d*** the man, save the empire. For state specific info check here

http://www.discoverboating.com/ownin...taxrefund.aspx
            Thanks for the tip on this. Wish I would have known about it sooner since WA state has some of the highest gas tax in the nation! FYI fellow Washingtonians can obtain the form to submit with your fuel receipts at: www.dol.wa.gov/forms/442071.pdf
            I'll definitely be saving all of those fuel receipts this year.
            sigpic1999 Prostar 205 with 330 HP LTR

Comment

I wish Minnesota would have this credit. Might have to become a squeaky wheel.
              - Peter
              TANDEM AXLE PACKAGE - $950 DELIVERED
              5 14X5.5 T06 WHEELS W/5 ST215/75R14 KENDA LOADSTAR RADIALS SS CENTER CAPS, LUGS, MOUNTED, BALANCED & READY TO INSTALL

PM or email me for tire, wheel or package pricing.
              CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
              LED lights, Chrome & Powder Coated Lugs
              2 LED 6" BRAKE LIGHTS DELIVERED $25

tiresplease@gmail.com

Comment

OHIO is a No! Figures...
                If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
                275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
                Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams

Comment

I wish Minnesota would have this credit. Might have to become a squeaky wheel.
                  it only makes sense. not using the highway for this vehicle. If nothing else you pay more to tow than others

Comment

Tennesse

Why is some states on the list and some aren't?

Comment

Farmers have been doing this for a long time.
                      - Peter
                      TANDEM AXLE PACKAGE - $950 DELIVERED
                      5 14X5.5 T06 WHEELS W/5 ST215/75R14 KENDA LOADSTAR RADIALS SS CENTER CAPS, LUGS, MOUNTED, BALANCED & READY TO INSTALL

PM or email me for tire, wheel or package pricing.
                      CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
                      LED lights, Chrome & Powder Coated Lugs
                      2 LED 6" BRAKE LIGHTS DELIVERED $25

tiresplease@gmail.com

Comment

Because only certain states have this on the books. To me I'd wager that the states that aren't have lower populations or lower taxes. NC is out of whack with gas. They throw this cookie out, no one takes advantage of it, and they win. Its very clever and actually fair. May the smart prosper

Comment

Here in Wisconsin we lose too. A break of some sort would not be turned down. If someone doesn't want to use it, don't apply.

Comment

Originally posted by _fng_ View Post
                            Has anyone done this before and had to show documentation for their number of gallons claimed?

For TX it states, "refund claims must be supported by fuel receipts containing the following information:
                            name and location of sellar
                            name of purchaser
                            type of fuel purchased
                            date of purchase
                            number of gallons purchased
                            price per gallon
                            amount of tax paid on fuel

That is a lot of information I don't have! I figure I'll try and see if they request documentation.
                            but appears to be $0.20 (20 cents) per gallon with only a 2% (or 2 cent?) hold back for filing. I have gone thru 30 gallons a day ($6 rebate minus hold back), so it could add up pretty quickly with our long boating season here in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
                              Farmers have been doing this for a long time.
                              yep, what I was thinking ... but since my dad passed away ('04) I haven't tried to keep records of what goes into my tractors. But I guess you could also include lawnmowers, weedeaters, etc. along with tractor diesel, fuel for any UTV and boats ... man, that could add up to a considerable amount of fuel over a years time... I wonder about all the time I spend driving around in the pasture of the ranch, deer leases, etc. ... hmmmmm

Comment

Working...
                              X