Hehe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hehe

Just got an email back from insurance agent. We filled out a form to get a quote on the X-55 we have on order, with the 7.4L engine. The question back:

"Are you sure this has 522 horsepower? Typically these boats have 340-400 horsepower"

You betcha, baby!

Originally posted by Astepatatime View Post
    Just got an email back from insurance agent. We filled out a form to get a quote on the X-55 we have on order, with the 7.4L engine. The question back:

"Are you sure this has 522 horsepower? Typically these boats have 340-400 horsepower"

You betcha, baby!
    Almost couldn't get insurance on the XStar because of that.

They had to send the application for "Head Underwriter" approval. It took two weeks to get an answer. They basically said "Because you have insured boats with us for 10 years, and had no incidents, we have the ability to override our 500hp rule on your 24' boat....."

Comment

That's awesome!

Comment

I would take this seriously and not like a prideful joke.

Usually when they see over 500hp = speed = increased liability

I would be in communication with the underwriter that this 500+hp is more like a low gear truck not a performace speed demon.
        They may or may not write you and you may or may not get the best rate if they dont fully understand.
        1991 MariStar 240sc, 454, tower, WetSounds, Krypt and Rockford Fosgate

Comment

Originally posted by bsloop View Post
          I would take this seriously and not like a prideful joke.

Usually when they see over 500hp = speed = increased liability

I would be in communication with the underwriter that this 500+hp is more like a low gear truck not a performace speed demon.
          They may or may not write you and you may or may not get the best rate if they dont fully understand.
          You're spot on. That's exactly what I did in my response to the question, explained the torque and top speed. Must have been okay because they supplied the quote and I "think" it's pretty reasonable.

But I'm not going to lie, it made me smile.

Comment

You're spot on. That's exactly what I did in my response to the question, explained the torque and top speed. Must have been okay because they supplied the quote and I "think" it's pretty reasonable.

But I'm not going to lie, it made me smile.
            But see the "true HP" thread. I might have explained that, often, hp is overstated. And that, in this case, hp is probably 499. It's an honest answer, and everyone is happy.
            Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Comment

most underwriters look at length to horsepower ratio. in their minds a 25 ft inboard/outboard with 500hp should top out in the upper 60's. they don't understand that our boats are tractors that may do 45 on a great day.

Comment

Originally posted by ttu View Post
                most underwriters look at length to horsepower ratio. in their minds a 25 ft inboard/outboard with 500hp should top out in the upper 60's. they don't understand that our boats are tractors that may do 45 on a great day.
                Wait a minute...someone compared me trading my Crownline E4 for the X-55 to be like going from an Explorer to a Range Rover. Another said a minivan to a sports car. Now you're telling me I bought a tractor?

Comment

Man, my John Deer can only run about 40, but man I can bush hog that field in no time...45 is a fast tractor!

Comment

Originally posted by FourFourty View Post
                    Almost couldn't get insurance on the XStar because of that.

They had to send the application for "Head Underwriter" approval. It took two weeks to get an answer. They basically said "Because you have insured boats with us for 10 years, and had no incidents, we have the ability to override our 500hp rule on your 24' boat....."
                    Wow - so - if you want a boat with 500HP+ you're on your own? I haven't had to look go down this path. I only have liability on my '95 so I only pay $81 a year...
                    sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

You betcha, baby!
                      Be sure to check SkiSafe. They blew my first quote out of the water.
                      2012 X45 7.4L

Comment

Originally posted by 2012X45 View Post
                        Be sure to check SkiSafe. They blew my first quote out of the water.
                        What he said^^^^ deal with company's that know ski boats. And uhh, those other boats with all that crap on them
                        1996 ProStar 190
                        PCM ZR6 W/ Zero Off

Comment

So I've been shopping for insurance on the new X55. Thought I'd share what I've found so far. We have our current Crownline E4 with Boater's Insurance. I haven't yet asked them for an updated quote.

Here's the quotes I have, most expensive to least expensive. All are for approximately the same coverage, with a few noted exceptions. All are agreed value.

1. Boat US. Most expensive by far, 80% higher than the lowest quote. No layup period.

2. Traveler's. This is my where my car coverage is, so thought I'd try a bundle. No layup period. 33% higher than the lowest quote. No layup period.

3. Global Marine (underwritten by ACE). Only a few bucks more than Ski Safe and higher coverage.

4. Ski Safe. Least expensive, by just a few bucks, but they didn't use the liability limit I entered. it's lower. and has a 5 month layup period.

I still need to get a quote from my current carrier, but so far Global Marine is best from a cost perspective. I'll probably revise the Ski Safe quote too.

Comment

So I've been shopping for insurance on the new X55. Thought I'd share what I've found so far. We have our current Crownline E4 with Boater's Insurance. I haven't yet asked them for an updated quote.

Here's the quotes I have, most expensive to least expensive. All are for approximately the same coverage, with a few noted exceptions. All are agreed value.

1. Boat US. Most expensive by far, 80% higher than the lowest quote. No layup period.

2. Traveler's. This is my where my car coverage is, so thought I'd try a bundle. No layup period. 33% higher than the lowest quote. No layup period.

3. Global Marine (underwritten by ACE). Only a few bucks more than Ski Safe and higher coverage.

4. Ski Safe. Least expensive, by just a few bucks, but they didn't use the liability limit I entered. it's lower. and has a 5 month layup period.

I still need to get a quote from my current carrier, but so far Global Marine is best from a cost perspective. I'll probably revise the Ski Safe quote too.
                            Interesting to say the least. They were just a few dollars apart in my quotes and I switched from skisafe to BoatUS to save a few bucks and have no layup.
                            '97 Prostar 190 - LT-1

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.

Comment

Boat US was most expensive quote I received as well.
                              2012 X45 7.4L

Comment

Working...
                              X