73 Mastercraft sbc cooling?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 73 Mastercraft sbc cooling?

Bought a 1973 Mastercraft several years ago and finnally have to time to begin bringing her back to life. Rough shape, needs a repower. Original 307 sbc block, heads are cracked. Crank has spum main bearings. Not sure on the 71C 1:1 yet?

I'm sure I'll have many questions has the resurrection begins. This site appears to be the place to come for needed information.

1st question....Does anyone know who produced the original exhaust manifolds? Where they GM or marine industry supplied. Heavy cast iron and cracked also. Have not attempted to pres. test them yet. I'm sure they are outdated by now so any recommendations on replacements would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
    Steve

Welcome to Team Talk. First and foremost, you need to post some pics of the boat. Sounds like a great project. You can get exhaust manifolds, and plenty other parts, from Discount Inboard Marine.

Where in the Midwest are you located?
    - Peter
    TANDEM AXLE PACKAGE - $950 DELIVERED WHEEL IMAGE
    5 14X5.5 T06 WHEELS W/5 ST215/75R14 KENDA LOADSTAR RADIALS SS CENTER CAPS, LUGS, MOUNTED, BALANCED & READY TO INSTALL

PM or email me for tire, wheel or package pricing.
    CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
    LED lights, Chrome & Powder Coated Lugs
    2 LED 6" BRAKE LIGHTS DELIVERED $25

tiresplease@gmail.com

Comment

Hey, thanks!! We are located just east of Clear Lake, Mn near highway 10. Yes, I do plan to post pictures as soon as time permits. Great to see you are located in St Paul! I'll have to update my profile.

Steve

Comment

Cool...only about an hour away. While our hulls are different in that my '77 was a new body style, most things are similar if not the same. Don't hesitate to give me a shout when you have questions.
        - Peter
        5 14X5.5 T06 WHEELS W/5 ST215/75R14 KENDA LOADSTAR RADIALS SS CENTER CAPS, LUGS, MOUNTED, BALANCED & READY TO INSTALL

tiresplease@gmail.com

Comment

You need to post a picture so we can help you identify who marinized the engine. My guess is OMC. Ford, Chevy and Chrysler supplied the long blocks, but the marinizer added the cooling system, fuel and ignition pieces, exhaust, accessories, etc. each marinizer went about things a little differently.

Comment

73 Mastercraft sbc cooling?

These are the best pictures I have right now. More coming soon. Trashed motor on the stand is the original 307 sbc. About the only salvagable parts were the manifolds, oil pan, valve covers, intake, cam and thermostate housing. The manifolds are cracked on the outside. Haven't had a chance to pressure test them yet but will most likely be repaced with updated versions. Question was "who" marinized this engine? I'm thinking OMC, but I've been wrong more times than I can count.

Thanks!
            Attached Files

Comment

Great looking boat Steve. I believe you are correct on the OMC. I'm surprised they don't have OMC on the exhaust manifolds.
              - Peter

tiresplease@gmail.com

Comment

looking forward to more pics...
                sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

That is not an OMC. Its a Crusader. Tell tale signs are the motor mounts, thermostat housing, exhaust manifolds and paint color (OMC was more of a green-blue).

Comment

After looking Crusader up and finding manifolds, I'd have to say you are right. There are no identifiation marks on these old ones at all. Thanks!!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Is your goal to return it to stock condition? If not, repowering with a modern engine might be an easier goal considering the rough shape of what you've got.
                      1998 Maristar 200VRS

Comment

This will probably be a top thread of the year. That ole classic is awesome.

As far as the boat is concerned, obviously you know that restoring everything will cost more than buying a newer boat with newer technology. This being said try to keep it origional. Your boat is a rare find and dropping new modern power will hurt the authenticity of the boat.

The block has spun main bearings or rod bearings....who cares. What matters is that it can be freshened up at a machine shop. The crank may be able to be cleaned up depending on how bad. I would try to keep the numbers matching block in that boat as much as possible.

So I would research heads and send the old cam off and have a new one made off of the factory cam. Maybe even tweak it a little. The intake and new exhaust can be cleaned up and everything painted to match original color.

Yes it's easier to drop in new modern power but I would keep this as a classic.
                        Rollin' Gangsta Style

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
                        If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

Comment

Nothing to add, except I hope Kyle, trbenji, thatmr
                          mastercraft, mike and the countless others offer up their knowledge!! It's great reading the posts here, and on other sites. Oh, more cowbell, I mean pictures please!!

Comment

As stated above it is a Crusader. My 1973 has the same manifolds. It is a 350 reverse rotation as well.

Comment

You have a rare boat. They made about one boat a week in 73. I was proud to find mine too.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X