Engine expert opinions wanted - L18 big block

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine expert opinions wanted - L18 big block

I took my boat in to my local Mastercrfat dealership for a regular oil change, replace spark plugs and to get some cosmetic work done. The Dealership tells me it sounded fine when it got there, but after they replaced the plugs, they fired it up and heard an unsettling clicking noise in the engine and they have spent the past 6 weeks trying to diagnose it to no avail.

Next step is to remove the engine so they can get to the underside and remove oil pan etc.

Any thoughts or suggestions I could relay to the dealership. This situation is costing me SERIOUS cash and time on the water and this money so far has all gone to trying to diagnose and not to fix. Engine has 320 hrs I think.
    Last edited by jdl xstar; 05-10-2013, 10:28 AM. Reason: been in shop 6 weeks, not 4
    Previous - 2007 X-Star w/ 8.1l
    Previous - 2007 X2 w/ MCX

Originally posted by jdl xstar View Post
    I took my boat in to my local Mastercrfat dealership for a regular oil change, replace spark plugs and to get some cosmetic work done. The Dealership tells me it sounded fine when it got there, but after they replaced the plugs, they fired it up and heard an unsettling clicking noise in the engine and they have spent the past 4 weeks trying to diagnose it to no avail.

Next step is to remove the engine so they can get to the underside and remove oil pan etc.

Any thoughts or suggestions I could relay to the dealership. This situation is costing me SERIOUS cash and time on the water and this money so far has all gone to trying to diagnose and not to fix. Engine has 320 hrs I think.
    Why is the dealership charging you, to me it sounds like they screwed up, Even you say that they said they say it ran fine when they took custody then they work on it now it's jacked.
    James

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
    sigpic

Comment

I was a mechanic many years, and I have seen boats come in the door fine, and develop other problems while being ran at the shop, through no fault of the mechanic. The odds aren't good of it happening, but it does happen. However, Diagnostic should be one flat fee, ESPECIALLY if the problem developed while they had the boat. It's hard to have any idea of what's gone wrong with that amount of information, and certainly without the boat in front of me. Good luck, it's always sour news when the boat has problems...

Comment

Wonder what dropped into one of the cylinders! If their original comment is accurate about being fine before changing spark plugs, seems like you would want to pull the heads before you drop the oil pan.

Comment

Originally posted by drschemel View Post
          Wonder what dropped into one of the cylinders! If their original comment is accurate about being fine before changing spark plugs, seems like you would want to pull the heads before you drop the oil pan.
          I'd tell them to start with that too...

Comment

clicking?

lifter maybe? valve spring? I'd definitely take the heads off before removing the whole engine.

Comment

Originally posted by drschemel View Post
              They did this and the heads checked out fine. They have essentially taken apart everything that is accessible while engine is in place and everything checked out fine. Now they are removing it to diagnose the hard to reach areas.

I agree with the flat fee comment and I'll bring that up with him. I mean, they are charging me full shop rate to poke around with nothing to show for it.

I was wakeboarding the weekend prior to taking it in and it ran perfectly fine. Took it WOT for the hell of it and hit normal speeds.

Funny because when I first dropped it of, I declined on a new $150 decal and now the bill is 10X that and growing with nothing to show.

I wish their mechanics would get on here to tap into the knowledge base.

Comment

Please keep us posted.... Sad to hear of an engine with only 320 hours with such a problem.... I cannot believe a MasterCraft dealership cannot diagnose the problem in that amount of time....
                Ted W

Hook Em' Horns

Comment

Originally posted by broncotw View Post
                  Please keep us posted.... Sad to hear of an engine with only 320 hours with such a problem.... I cannot believe a MasterCraft dealership cannot diagnose the problem in that amount of time....
                  Thanks and totally agree. I have voiced my disappointment in the length of this process and he assured me that his mechanics are very experienced with this engine and they aren't just learning ont he fly.

Comment

Correction... 6 weeks. Dropped it off on March 29.

Comment

Correction... 6 weeks. Dropped it off on March 29.
                      wow... that's a long time to be working on a boat... a really long time. Have they localized where the noise is coming from? they should have a stethascope style thing that they can listen to the engine with and at least tell where it's coming from...

Comment

Originally posted by chriscraftmatt1976 View Post
                        wow... that's a long time to be working on a boat... a really long time. Have they localized where the noise is coming from? they should have a stethascope style thing that they can listen to the engine with and at least tell where it's coming from...
                        Good question. My hunch is that they don't because he has just been telling me how hard it s been to locate the problem which is why they've had to take it apart. He said if they can't find the problem after taking engine out, he said they'd send the engine to another mechanic shop.

He said that they are equiped to handle most engine issues, major surgery isn't necessarily what they do so they would have to outsource that. To me, all I'm hearing is money flying out the door.

Comment

are you sure that the spark pluge that they put in are not to long and were not hitting the pistons.

Comment

He said they pulled the heads already. So eliminates spark plug interference.
                            IF they actually removed the heads??
                            IMO top end and injectors "click". Nothing in the bottom end clicks if its effed up. It knocks or clunks!
                            If they got you for 15+ hrs already and haven't used a simple stethoscope they are idiots. End of story.
                            Hope this turns out well but sounds like you're being taken for a ride.
                            So what's the noise sound like? You hear it run yet?
                            '06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Comment

Good question. My hunch is that they don't because he has just been telling me how hard it s been to locate the problem which is why they've had to take it apart. He said if they can't find the problem after taking engine out, he said they'd send the engine to another mechanic shop.

He said that they are equiped to handle most engine issues, major surgery isn't necessarily what they do so they would have to outsource that. To me, all I'm hearing is money flying out the door.
                              To add to my last comment. They are giving you the runaround. Can't see anything by just pulling the engine unless you remove the oil pan but they're gonna outsource that ?
                              You can look into the cylinders with a bore scope. That and a comp ck will tell a lot. No need to even pull the heads.
                              Can someone help this guy out?
                              Pulling the engine is the dumbest thing one coould do before isolating the noise. Then it can't be run.
                              '06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Comment

Working...
                              X