Bottom paint need answers.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottom paint need answers.

Ok. Think I found a good boat for me. I'm looking at a very clean 2002 230vrs. All pictures of the boat look great. I am unfortunately a good distance from this boat. So of I go after it I am going to buy. After a lengthy discussion with the owner I'm convinced its a good buy. The only thing I am concerned about it what he called bottom Paint. He says is a coat of paint to cut down on alge. Does anyone know anything on this?

yuck... on the bottom paint - but not unheard of.. got pictures?
    sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Means it was moored. Check for blistered gelcoat, or worse, signs that it's been re-gelcoated.
      '04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX

Comment

Is it a salt water boat?
        1996 ProStar 190
        PCM ZR6 W/ Zero Off

Comment

is that the red and white one that's been on ebay, with the feet stickers on the seat behind the drivers seat?

Comment

Not a salt water boat to my knowledge. What do you mean by moored?

Comment

Originally posted by chevroletman View Post
              Not a salt water boat to my knowledge. What do you mean by moored?
              Left in the water for the season.
              1996 ProStar 190
              PCM ZR6 W/ Zero Off

Comment

Sellers sometimes apply bottom paint as a quick fix to hide problems...beware...it doesn't belong on a ski boat.

Comment

Yes it is. The one on ebay. I unfortunately can't get any info on the boat prior to two years ago. Don't even know if its been on salt water. Does anyone know if bottom paint can be removed permanently?

Comment

I removed the bottom paint from my boat a 2000 X-Star that was abused. Removed it with a waterbased remover and then wet sanded the hull and polished. Came out looking like new.

Comment

Leaving a ski boat in the water is probably the least desirable way to have a boat at the lake. The chances for damage and hull blisters go off the chart in comparison to dry, rack or lift storage. As stated above there are many reasons the PO could want to paint the bottom. If the boat was indeed moored it was most likely to help with bottom fouling. For resale (as this owner is finding out) there are few things you can do to turn off a potential buyer for a boat in this type category. Your purchase price and interest in the boat should reflect this.

I always consider what resale will be when shopping for a boat. Part of that will also deal with desirability of the boat I'm looking at as it will effect my chances of turning it later down the road. Any hopes of restoring MC type value and moving it in a reasonable amount of time will depend on restoring the bottom to original condition and the cost to do so. That is of course unless you like bottom paint and never intend to sell. My brother in law had some spider cracks repaired this spring which required nearly the entire bottom to be re-sprayed. I believe he paid close to $2K for this. I would imagine sanding and re-gelcoating a hull like yours would be about the same. I would expect it to be slightly less without the gelcoat if it can be sanded and rubbed out due to the labor involved. Either way I would be taking closer to $3K off what a similar boat of age and condition would go for to cover the expense to restore as well as to cover the pain and effort involved with managing the restoration.

On background information, did you try boathistoryreport.com? I used it on my last two purchases and was happy with the results. They also seem to be the highest rated.

Comment

Originally posted by chevroletman View Post
                        Ok. Think I found a good boat for me. I'm looking at a very clean 2002 230vrs. All pictures of the boat look great. I am unfortunately a good distance from this boat. So of I go after it I am going to buy. After a lengthy discussion with the owner I'm convinced its a good buy. The only thing I am concerned about it what he called bottom Paint. He says is a coat of paint to cut down on alge. Does anyone know anything on this?
                        keep looking for another boat

$0.02

93 190
                        Don't be a boot licker

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

sigpic

..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
                        NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Comment

Chevroletman, I'm not trying to push you away from that boat but I do have a 99 maristar in that same model for sale but mine has a tower. You can pm me for price if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by bturner2 View Post
                            Leaving a ski boat in the water is probably the least desirable way to have a boat at the lake. The chances for damage and hull blisters go off the chart in comparison to dry, rack or lift storage.
                            Boat has to be in the water to use it.. Maybe that is why I average 100 hours a year.. I leave it at the cottage (lake house) from spring till fall in the water. No trailering, no launching, inconvenience, etc

Buying a lift is out of budget due to deep water. I wax the hull a couple times a season. So far it's in great shape.

So this isn't neglect.... Its the way we do it around here....

So back to my point....

Bottom paint isn't necessarily because of abuse... maybe because someone was overly taking the manual word for word and put on bottom paint.
                            2008 Mastercraft 40th Anniversary X-star
                            www.buckeyemarine.com

2008 Touareg V8 Galapagos Metallic, Sienna leather, Execline, Technology pkg, Sports pkg,Class III hitch.

2012 Volkswagen GTI 5dr DSG, Carbon Grey Metallic w/ Leather/Luxury, Technology and 18" Serron Pkg's. H&R springs, Unitronic Stage 2 Chip, Ultimate racing 3" downpipe w/200 cell metal cat, xenondepot 3k HID Fog lights.

Comment

Mastercraft specifically excludes gelcoat blistering from warranty. Bottom painting is one way they recommend to prevent it. Leaving it in the water seasonally is a crap shoot. OP needs to get a look at that hull before buying.
                              '04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX

Comment

Working...
                              X