Seawater strainer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seawater strainer

Noticing some pictures of the newer MC's with seawater strainers. Did a search but only a couple of threads come up.

I read somewhere and can't find he thread that some times these strainer don't seal and an air gap can prevent raw water flow.

I boat in muddy waters with lot's of duck weed.

Something worth while?
    sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

I assume the strainer you are talking about is the black canister with a clear cover. If that's the one then yes, they do not seal well.

I went to the Sherwood strainer. Skidim along with others carries them

Just my .02 cents worth

Comment

what are your thought on the concept? - worthwile? I am anal about clearing water jacket a couple times a season with a clean water run in the driveway..
      sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Go with a Sherwood. I had one on my old boat and it was awesome - worked perfectly for the entire twenty years. I just bought one to install on my '06 X30. I got mine from Overton's website - ordered it on Tuesday and it was on my doorstep Thursday afternoon. Free shipping.

Comment

I think it's worth while.

I have seen small bugs, twigs, etc in the screen. Is it going to harm the engine to let those things through? Good question. Bugs probably go through easily... Sticks on the other hand probably don't do the impeller blades any good.

Our lake is fairly clean. If you're on a dirty lake, I would certainly use one.

Comment

Mike I think I know where you are going with this.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
            sigpic
            When I was a child, I used to talk as a child, think as a child, reason as a child; when I became a man, I put aside childish things.
            1 Corinthians Chapter 13 - 11

Comment

Where is he going?? 😊

Comment

Originally posted by Traxx822 View Post
                Mike I think I know where you are going with this.

Yeah - putting one on my boat...

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg205 View Post
                  Yeah - putting one on my boat...
                  Sweet get me one.

sigpic
                  When I was a child, I used to talk as a child, think as a child, reason as a child; when I became a man, I put aside childish things.

Comment

Originally posted by 2010Prostar197 View Post
                    Where is he going?? 😊
                    I just blew a head gasket and Mike thinks this might help prevent it from happening in the future

sigpic

Comment

One came I'm my 93 190 and I think it's a great idea .. Can never to be careful Name:  49a9c1217bf2262d91fab2ef84b91cc7.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  65.9 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Comment

I see it's upside down. Does it work well that way? Just curious.

Comment

There is also no motor in the boat from bad winterization when I purchased it. So hence the wrong position from hoses being moved and taken off. was just purely showing older mastercraft boats can fit them..but i have seen them in different angles

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg205 View Post
                            Noticing some pictures of the newer MC's with seawater strainers. Did a search but only a couple of threads come up.

I read somewhere and can't find he thread that some times these strainer don't seal and an air gap can prevent raw water flow.

I boat in muddy waters with lot's of duck weed.

Something worth while?
                            Originally posted by 2010Prostar197 View Post
                            I assume the strainer you are talking about is the black canister with a clear cover. If that's the one then yes, they do not seal well.

I went to the Sherwood strainer. Skidim along with others carries them

Just my .02 cents worth
                            Although I seen the couple posts where the person(s) had issues with that strainer, I have to add that I have that strainer and it works just fine for me. It is mounted inside the rear starboard locker (for my v-drive) for easy access. Nice thing about the way it is mounted is that you can open and clean the strainer and you don't loose the water (prime) between it and the raw water pump.

Looking at the Sherwood, it appears to be smaller in size and I think you would have an easier time mounting it in-line or in otherwise smaller access areas.

Just a different worth.
                            I love to travel, but hate to arrive. ~~ A. Einstein
                            -----
                            You donít stop riding because youíre getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.
                            -----
                            Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a Ride! ~~ Hunter S. Thompson
                            -----
                            My wakeboard is calling, and I must go ride! ~~ Me

Comment

I also went with the Sherwood strainer on my 93 Stars and Stripes....

There is a ton of duck weeds and debree where I ski.....

It was a really tight fit as you can see in the pics....

Since the install, I have had zero problems....
                              Attached Files
                              Ted W

Hook Em' Horns

Comment

Working...
                              X