Cantilever Boat Lift?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cantilever Boat Lift?

Need to create a hospitable home for an MC, starting with a boat lift. Looking at buying a used Pier Pleasure 5000 lb. Cantilever lift. After speaking with the seller he says a cantilever lift is not optimal for an inboard, but I discussed with another TT member epnault, and he's says he disagrees. I trust Eric, but being a novice in this area I'm looking for some TT expertise.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MC FEVER; 09-19-2013, 12:27 PM. Reason: mis-quoted source

Personally, I think a cantilever lift is the best way to go. I had one for nearly 6 years that my 197's sat on and it was great. Pretty much everyone in my area uses a cantilever lift for their inboards.
    Not sure why the guy would suggest it is not a good fit but you will love it.
    Good luck and hope this helps.

Comment

Depends on the lift and construction. My friends is junk. Barely used (cycled) goes through cables every three years and makes scary noises when cycled. Wouldn't be my first choice but that would be just based on my experience.

I've owned 2 ShoreStations and have had very good luck with them.

Comment

Thanks jkski and bturner2

Does anyone out there have a Pier Pleasure Cantilever that they are currently using?

Comment

The seller claims that an inboard won't work on this lift because it could damage the strut, driveshaft, or prop because it has a cross brace. I disagree because it is all how you set up your bunks for the worst case clearance. My vertical lift frame is identical to this and has cross brace that is near the strut but I set up my bunks to match the keel bunks on my MC trailer which make it physically impossible to hit your underwater gear (strut, shaft, or prob). See pic.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by epnault View Post
            The seller claims that an inboard won't work on this lift because it could damage the strut, driveshaft, or prop because it has a cross brace. I disagree because it is all how you set up your bunks for the worst case clearance. My vertical lift frame is identical to this and has cross brace that is near the strut but I set up my bunks to match the keel bunks on my MC trailer which make it physically impossible to hit your underwater gear (strut, shaft, or prob). See pic.
            Thanks for the graphic. I think I'll have to take a closer look at the lift, in person.

Comment

Good idea, and I can join you. I think we can make this work for Prostar 190 or 205 without a tower. Here is what to look for and much of the result of these would help with negotiation but not necessarily be a deal breaker.

1. Cycle the lift to the top and bottom position looking at the cables, pulleys, and winch function (as burner alluded to)
              2. Inspect the tarp for wear. Not just holes or tears but the shape of the attachment straps to the canopy frame.
              3. Inspect the canopy and lift frame for any bent or cracked parts
              4. Verify the capacity is 5000#
              5. Inspect bunk wear

Comment

Originally posted by epnault View Post
                Good idea, and I can join you. I think we can make this work for Prostar 190 or 205 without a tower. Here is what to look for and much of the result of these would help with negotiation but not necessarily be a deal breaker.

1. Cycle the lift to the top and bottom position looking at the cables, pulleys, and winch function (as burner alluded to)
                2. Inspect the tarp for wear. Not just holes or tears but the shape of the attachment straps to the canopy frame.
                3. Inspect the canopy and lift frame for any bent or cracked parts
                4. Verify the capacity is 5000#
                5. Inspect bunk wear
                I'm going to try and set something up for either tonight or early on Sunday. Either work for you?

Comment

I bought a used cantilever lift and it works great. You have to be mindful of where you are on the cradle. As long as you don't pull too far forward before lifting, you'll be fine.

Comment

FEVER-set it up to your schedule and I will see what I can do

Comment

+1 the canti will work fine

Set up bunks properly, high enough to completely eliminate chance for skeg or prop hitting if possible. This will depend on your water depth. Odd are you will be fine.

Agree to ensure that you don't go too far fwd.

Some people like these since cables and pulleys are out of water when lifted. Like bturner, I have SS and am completely satisfied.

New canopies are likely a available online if needed.

Check for cracked welds and cable condition.

Comment

My apologies to the seller, also a TT er. I misspoke earlier. He said the cantilever was not optimal for use with a mastercraft. Did not mean to offend you or insult you.

Comment

My cantilever has worked great for the last 10 yrs. 3 different inboards have had no issues. You obviously need to set up your bunks correctly, but that's easy. I really like that the lift has little stress with the boat in the "full up" position.
                          1997 PS 205

Comment

A cantilever will definitely work. However, we sold ours for a vertical lift. If I was buying used, I would search for a vertical. Depending on the lake levels (if they change a lot) a cantilever will need to be pushed in and out to work properly, plus the vertical usually can go lower so it can be in shallower water. We still have a cantilever for the pontoon and they work fine and will likely have less expense when it it time to replace cables.

Comment

Good points in vertical versus cantilever

FEVER,
                              I text you some used vertical ones for sale close to our lake.
                              Eric

Comment

Working...
                              X