Shafted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shafted

I need to remove a shaft from a 07 XStar, I see a nut at the coupler threaded to the shaft, how do I remove that nut? when I put a wrench to it the shaft spins as I try backing off the nut. Anyone have a solution how to keep the shaft from rotating while removing the nut?
    I read in a post I may need a wheel puller to push the shaft through the coupler, I think I can handle that and the dripless seal shouldn't be an issue, I hope

Pull one of the 4 coupler bolts out and use a coupler wrench to hold keep the assembly from spinning.

B is the coupler wrench.

Tim
    Gone, surfing.

Comment

thank you for the reply.
      don't have a coupler tool but I think you provided me with an idea of what to do now

Comment

If you have an extra person they can usually hold the prop, if not, I've heard of people using a 2X4 and letting it wedge up tight to boat or trailer.

Comment

Good Idea jmw but don't think I'll have anyone hold the prop without gloves though, Eric at OJ just tuned one for me and the edges are quite sharp

Comment

You can use a flat head screw drive and wedge between the shaft and one of the bolt head.

Comment

Why didn't I think of that, I had a good size screwdriver at the time
              All good ideas, thanks

Comment

anyone know the shaft size-length or part number for a '07 XStar

Comment

Working...
                X