96 PS 190 PCM ZR6 Conversion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 PS 190 PCM ZR6 Conversion

Figured I'd take the advice of CruisinGA and start a thread on my ZR6 conversion. Pretty sure not too many guys will actually refer to this how to thread but it is the off season@ ericB I got the motor through Discount Inboard Marine from PCM. It is a leftover rated at 375HP @ Ben I was looking into a repower for ZO capabilities and when I inquired at DIM they gave me a great price on the ZR6 with a new 1.1 tranny. I'm selling my power package complete and unloading my PPSG to a buddie offset to the cost. Right now I'm looking at a custom driveshaft as the motor has to be pushed forward to get clearance for the bell housing, and maybe a spacer plate for the front mounts to get the motor a little higher. Should have more pics after the weekend. Pretty cool that the red matches my boat!
    Name:  71a8eb10a3d1d467886bc86dcc466047.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  59.8 KB
    1996 ProStar 190
    PCM ZR6 W/ Zero Off

First and foremost, awesome project! The motor looks good sitting there. How far forward does the motor need to slide?

Comment

I have a 96 Prostar with an lt1 Corvette engine in it rated around 320 horsepower...I can only imagine that boat with another 50 to 60 horsepower....wow! if the perfect pass stargazer doesn't work out with your buddy can I be first on the list?

Comment

dang.... now THAT is awesome!
        "if one day the speed kills me, do not cry because i was smiling." -Paul Walker

Comment

Buoy- I travel to NYC and area on the reg for work. You need to finish this up by springtime so I can get a barefoot pull behind it! It should be rocket fast!
          Bailey
          '02 X-9
          Lake Blue Ridge

Comment

indmar to PCM? that's an interesting switch, would have thought all your harnesses would be different

Comment

Originally posted by Dylan View Post
              First and foremost, awesome project! The motor looks good sitting there. How far forward does the motor need to slide?
              Thanks! Right now it looks like I have to go all the way forward. Going to do a final mock up on Saturday and hopefully drill and tap new holes, get the motor bolted in and lined up so I can measure and order a new driveshaft.
              1996 ProStar 190
              PCM ZR6 W/ Zero Off

Comment

that is just absolutely SICK!!! good luck with the project
                1998 Stingray 180LX
                2000 Infinity ZX-1 good riddens
                2003 Prostar TT 197 sold

2007 Prostar TT 197.....special delivery from the dealer 3/18/08 sold 6/7/11

Comment

Awesome! Going to be watching this project!
                  1991 PROSTAR 190 Flagship Blue POWERSLOT OJ XMP CNC 13.7x17.5 .110 4B
                  A.K.A. One of a kind mistake
                  2011 Best In Show- 1987-2000 class

Trying to keep slalom alive

Need a new prop to fit your needs? Call OJ PROPS 800-359-9730

"It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are stupid, than to open it and prove it"?

Comment

Great project Mike, looking forward to seeing it progress.
                    '97 Prostar 190 - LT-1

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                      Great project Mike, looking forward to seeing it progress.
                      I agree with John.

I'll add this:

I think you don't see a lot of people asking about repowers or howtos because there just aren't a lot of people doing them. I think the more that do happen and are well documented would increase other people doing the same kind of stuff.

I'm very interested in the conversion/upgrade and especially in the ECM wiring part of it. I assume the mechanical is pretty straight forward.
                      Tim
                      Gone, surfing.

Comment

That looks awesome in there. Why are you doing this changeover? Just for a power increase?

Comment

Here's my dumb question: Why couldn't you use the original mounts from your Indmar chevy engine on this chevy PCM? I would think your old tranny would mount up and then your shaft and angle issues would be resolved, no???

With the different mounts, position, and tranny, will you be able to get the proper angle on the shaft without binding?
                          1997 PS 205

Comment

PCM utilizes a different mounting system. The engine sits level, while the transmission has the 9 degree down angle. One of the things I prefer over the Indmar marinization.

I'm assuming he's using a PCM engine/Power Plus transmission package as he said he was selling his entire driveline to help offset the cost.

Comment

Thanks for all the positive comments guys, this project is a little daunting. Right now the wiring harness seems to be the least of my worries. I got the adapter from DIM, the boat end, (black)is for an older boat, it won't plug into my harness, and the one i need is no longer avilable. So I'll just cut off the boat end and hard wire that as I can just unplug from the motor.
                              Name:  48f9a163ce083e5f6424a82af8efc6f8.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  52.9 KB
                              1996 ProStar 190
                              PCM ZR6 W/ Zero Off

Comment

Working...
                              X