From design-a-boat to build-a-boat: 2014 X-14V

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From design-a-boat to build-a-boat: 2014 X-14V

Our 2014 is now in production and I'm pretty excited. We only ordered it in September. Given that we're just settling into winter here, no one around me is that interested in a boat, but I'm bursting to tell someone... so I thought I would share on teamtalk.

Max, the Customer Service Coordinator at MC, is very kindly taking pictures of my boat as it progresses through the line.

They expect my boat to be finished around Nov 12. The gel colour will be sprayed on Monday and I'll post more pictures as I receive them, just so we can all build my boat together.

If anyone has questions on the build process, I can ask Max, or perhaps get him to come online and answer them. I've learned so far that each mold can be used for about 1000 boats, although there's significant reconditioning, buffing and polishing on the molds through their life to keep the boats they produce perfect. So I suspect the molds you're seeing here are the ones that made the first x-14V back in 2009. The gel colour will be 0.24mm thick. Each different colour is taped and sprayed separately - with extra care being paid to the metal flake to keep a consistent balance of flake through the surface.

Enjoy... Here is pre-day 1. This is the design a boat view, followed by two pictures of the actual molds for the X-14V. I'm not sure what boat is following me down the line but it looks like a pickle fork bow. Our boat is a mixture of gunmetal flake with black and white. The colours don't really come out that well in the design-a-boat picture so I look forward to seeing the finished product.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rtw_travel; 11-04-2013, 11:06 AM. Reason: 0.24mm typo
    2014 X-14V
    2012 X-14V (gone)

You must be beside yourself, I know I would. Congrats!

I'm headed to the plant next Wednesday so I will look for it.
    X-30

Comment

Sick

Congrats man and welcome to the x14v family! It is a good one.

Comment

Congrats. I remember going through the same thing back in 08 and 09 with my X14DD's.
        '97 Prostar 190 - LT-1

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.

Comment

Originally posted by Specter View Post
          I'm headed to the plant next Wednesday so I will look for it.
          Please take a picture if you get a chance! Ideally one with people working on it, because I think Max will only send me the end of day pics.
          2014 X-14V
          2012 X-14V (gone)

Comment

so cool keep the pics coming always neat to see one being built

Comment

Originally posted by rtw_travel View Post
              Please take a picture if you get a chance! Ideally one with people working on it, because I think Max will only send me the end of day pics.
              Will do my best.
              X-30

Comment

I love my x14v that I got this last summer. Enjoy your new ride!

Comment

Gelcoat application

You can see the white gel coat is now on. Remember they are building it from the outside in, so the first to be sprayed inside the mold is the exterior gel coat.

If you refer back to the design-a-boat drawing, you can see the hull bottom is white, and there are two white stripes on each side of the boat. You can see they've done the white coat, and there is tape & paper masking everywhere else. Apparently each gel has its own spray nozzle, so the boat stays in this one booth for each of the three colours that I've picked to be sprayed on the hull. In the hull picture, the tech is measuring the thickness of the gel on one of the strips.
                  Attached Files
                  2014 X-14V
                  2012 X-14V (gone)

Comment

Next step => Fibreglass.

Remember we're building from the outside in. The gel colour we saw yesterday is now covered with fibreglass. You'll see they've added some pink bars to the top deck - these are sound deadeners and backing for things like the carpet snaps.

There is also a third mold in the bottom picture - the stringer. The piece off this mold will fit between the hull and top deck, and adds strength to the boat. No wooden stringers here!
                    Attached Files
                    2014 X-14V
                    2012 X-14V (gone)

Comment

Very cool, it's like a private tour

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaSurfer View Post
                        Very cool, it's like a private tour
                        No kidding. That's fantastic that you're getting so many shots of it, I'm quite sure that there aren't many that get that treatment.

Comment

Max, the Customer Service Rep has been fantastic at taking pictures and answering all my many questions. I got his contact info from SchuyHigh, and independantly from my local MC dealer too. You may remember Schuyhigh posted pics of his finished MC on teamtalk a few weeks ago.

I suspect anyone having a boat built would get these pictures if they asked for them. Given that I won't make it to Vonore, they are the next best thing.
                          2014 X-14V
                          2012 X-14V (gone)

Comment

The shells have been released from the molds, extra bits ground off, and then put together. You can see they've already drilled and cut the holes for the various hull penetrations.

Max says its still dusty from the drilling/ grinding. Specter - I think you're visiting the factory today: would you mind just giving my boat a quick wipe down? It would satisfy my MCOCD. :-)

It's interesting to see the hull without all the paraphenalia that makes it an "X" series: you can certainly see the prostar 190 pedigree, but at 21'4", it's just longer.

I didn't realize the the metalflake would extend up onto the transom. We thought it was just a small accent from the bow and running down to the waterline on the sides. It looks way better than design a boat!
                            Attached Files
                            2014 X-14V
                            2012 X-14V (gone)

Comment

TOO KOOL!! MC is represented well by Max!

Comment

Working...
                              X