I am a chicken and need help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am a chicken and need help

I need to replace my oil pressure gage, every time I get under the dash I chicken out and not sure where to start.

Who has done this with success and where should I start. Do I need to pull the complete dash out or can I remove the little cap screws on the panel.

I have a 2002 X30

Thanks for any input and pushing me forward

Before you replace the gauge, is the sending unit still good. I've seen more sending units fail than I have gauges.
    Bob

Comment

Had marina check it out, they stated everything was fine with my pressure at engine. But I guess I never asked if the sending unit was ok.

Comment

Ditto that on the sending unit. Gauge function test is as easy as disconnecting the wire at the sending unit, then grounding that wire. You should see no pressure, then full pressure respectively. If you do, then your gauge and associated wiring is all OK and you know the sending unit is in need of replacement.
        - Peter
        TANDEM AXLE PACKAGE - $950 DELIVERED WHEEL IMAGE
        5 14X5.5 T06 WHEELS W/5 ST215/75R14 KENDA LOADSTAR RADIALS SS CENTER CAPS, LUGS, MOUNTED, BALANCED & READY TO INSTALL

PM or email me for tire, wheel or package pricing.
        CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
        LED lights, Chrome & Powder Coated Lugs
        2 LED 6" BRAKE LIGHTS DELIVERED $25

tiresplease@gmail.com

Comment

do you need the engine running during this test

Comment

No Sir.

Comment

Originally posted by uplander View Post
              do you need the engine running during this test
              Originally posted by Tristarboarder View Post
              No Sir.
              But you do need the key on.
              - Peter
              5 14X5.5 T06 WHEELS W/5 ST215/75R14 KENDA LOADSTAR RADIALS SS CENTER CAPS, LUGS, MOUNTED, BALANCED & READY TO INSTALL

tiresplease@gmail.com

Comment

Yep. Gotta have power to the gauge, then ground the wire to see full deflection of the needle. Easy to do, can do it in your driveway. My $ is the sender, cheap fix and they go bad easily.

Comment

FYI, you can pick up the sender from your local auto parts store.
                  Being on the water is best, but when I'm not on the water I'm on TT.

2002 X Star
                  Sold - 76 S&S

Comment

Originally posted by 76S&S View Post
                    Good point. Nothing specifically marine about this part.
                    - Peter

tiresplease@gmail.com

Comment

What engine do you have? I had to replace my sending unit on my 2003 209 with the MCX. Very cheap and very easy to do. It takes 2 min to replace so do it yourself dont waste your money by having the dealer do it!
                      I think the part was around $25-$30 if I remember right.
                      2003 Prostar 209 MCX

Comment

Originally posted by 76S&S View Post
                        You can take the old unit off and take it to Napa. See if they can help. Or google the part number and try to find the cheapest price online.
                        2003 Prostar 209 MCX

Comment

Thanks for replies, going to give it a try tomorrow if the weather is warm again.

I have the LTR motor
                          Attached Files

Comment

Got out to the boat today, turned key on and then pulled the wire from sending unit. The gage did move slowly to the right, then I grounded it and it did not do much. From what I have read when I ground it then it should move back to zero.

I will take any help

Comment

Originally posted by uplander View Post
                              Got out to the boat today, turned key on and then pulled the wire from sending unit. The gage did move slowly to the right, then I grounded it and it did not do much. From what I have read when I ground it then it should move back to zero.

I will take any help
                              Sounds like the the gauge is toast -should make a major move if grounded. should be no problem changing out the gauge - three wires on gauge - power via igniotion, ground and sender wire.

You can check new gauge without installation. run 12 volts to new gauge - plus ground and the attach sender wire. Start motor pressure reading... iirc.
                              sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Working...
                              X