Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Dock Edge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best Dock Edge

    Anybody have a good recommendation for a dock edge material that won't stripe up the boat (besides not hitting the edge at all ).

    Most of what I find is white/gray PVC material and I'm assuming that would rub off. The cloth/nylon based stuff that you install in a looping fashion any better?

    Thanks in advance.

  • #2
    If you buy a quality dock edge, typically it doesn't rub off on the boat when it touches. Dockedge makes good stuff. For sale at Basspro shops I believe.
    2008 Mastercraft 40th Anniversary X-star
    www.buckeyemarine.com

    2008 Touareg V8 Galapagos Metallic, Sienna leather, Execline, Technology pkg, Sports pkg,Class III hitch.

    2012 Volkswagen GTI 5dr DSG, Carbon Grey Metallic w/ Leather/Luxury, Technology and 18" Serron Pkg's. H&R springs, Unitronic Stage 2 Chip, Ultimate racing 3" downpipe w/200 cell metal cat, xenondepot 3k HID Fog lights.

    Comment


    • #3
      If you can find a roll of industrial felt, 1/2 x 8 or 10 inches it works better than anything I've ever found. I got some from a place that manufactures metal siding and roofing.
      Being on the water is best, but when I'm not on the water I'm on TT.

      2002 X Star
      Sold - 76 S&S

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks for the replies.

        How about cable covers for the lift cables? I have some padded Mastercraft guide covers on my trailer that should work well if I can find them for sale.

        Any other ideas?

        Comment


        • #5
          I have seen people use old fire hose for the sides of the dock. that seemed to work well.
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Hoosier Bob
          She always misses me and when I turn her on it is hard to turn her off! She is MC and she completes me! She is the first ride that wants it as much as I do!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jewilson2 View Post
            Thanks for the replies.

            How about cable covers for the lift cables? I have some padded Mastercraft guide covers on my trailer that should work well if I can find them for sale.

            Any other ideas?
            You could use PVC pipe for the cable covers or a fun noodle.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jewilson2 View Post
              Thanks for the replies.

              How about cable covers for the lift cables? I have some padded Mastercraft guide covers on my trailer that should work well if I can find them for sale.

              Any other ideas?
              Pool noodles from Walmart... cost like $2 and just cut a slit down the length to get over the cable.
              2008 Mastercraft 40th Anniversary X-star
              www.buckeyemarine.com

              2008 Touareg V8 Galapagos Metallic, Sienna leather, Execline, Technology pkg, Sports pkg,Class III hitch.

              2012 Volkswagen GTI 5dr DSG, Carbon Grey Metallic w/ Leather/Luxury, Technology and 18" Serron Pkg's. H&R springs, Unitronic Stage 2 Chip, Ultimate racing 3" downpipe w/200 cell metal cat, xenondepot 3k HID Fog lights.

              Comment


              • #8
                Ideally you want vertical dock bumpers, spaced about 6-8 feet apart. I simply made pvc sleeves that slide over the dock posts.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by sethro View Post
                  Ideally you want vertical dock bumpers, spaced about 6-8 feet apart. I simply made pvc sleeves that slide over the dock posts.
                  Pictures???

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I couldn't find any really good pics, just this crappy one on my phone. It is just 3" PVC with an approximately 1" slit cut in the back from the bottom to about half way up the pipe. It fits pretty tight so there is no slop when installed on the post. My docks are 8' long, which works fine for any Stars and Stripes that show up at the dock. Works even better for bigger boats, but if I was designing a bumper system I would space them about 6' apart.
                    Attached Files

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      We lined our whole dock with these from Wahoo docks. Awesome stuff and easily replaceable in 2 ft sections.
                      Bailey
                      '02 X-9
                      Lake Blue Ridge

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by CruisinGA View Post
                        We lined our whole dock with these from Wahoo docks. Awesome stuff and easily replaceable in 2 ft sections.
                        Do you have a Wahoo dock? We are wanting to put in a new floating dock this spring and I found Wahoo and like their designs. Just looking to talk to someone that has actually purchased one.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by sethro View Post
                          I couldn't find any really good pics, just this crappy one on my phone. It is just 3" PVC with an approximately 1" slit cut in the back from the bottom to about half way up the pipe. It fits pretty tight so there is no slop when installed on the post. My docks are 8' long, which works fine for any Stars and Stripes that show up at the dock. Works even better for bigger boats, but if I was designing a bumper system I would space them about 6' apart.
                          I use a dock like this is the summer at a friends house. They did it a little different in that the poles with the pvc are seperate from the dock poles. They then bungee the top of the pole/pvs to the dock pole to give it a little slop to lessen the impact on the dock as well as on the boat.
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Hoosier Bob
                          She always misses me and when I turn her on it is hard to turn her off! She is MC and she completes me! She is the first ride that wants it as much as I do!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            We had used fire hose, attached in a wavy pattern on our dock. It did leave marks on the boat, even though it's a private site with no other boat traffic. The drip molded decals on my buddy's x7 were even gouged a bit over time.

                            I agree with an earlier comment that states the best option is to have vertical posts that will contact the rub rail. Our dock now has vertical 2x4's through bolted to the deck that work well.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The fact is that there is no good dock edge that I would tie to for an extended amount of time. The best solution is vertical posts covered in PVC to ride on the rubrail, but even that is not perfect... especially in an area with a lot of boat traffic or rough conditions.

                              For extended mooring, I love these: http://www.wakewatcher.com/ or setting a mooring off the dock and pulling the boat in as needed. For us, our waterways here are way too busy to tie a boat to the dock.
                              -Cameron
                              2007 ProStar 197
                              1996 ProStar 190

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X