Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting on one ski

Hi everyone,

This might sound like a dumb question to lots of people but I just got my first mastercaft a month ago. I learned to ski a long time ago but would go years in between skiing. Now that I have my own boat I get it out once a week and go skiing a few laps every time. I'm getting better and dropping a ski now, I'm getting better at this but I'd like to have some tips or tricks on getting up on one. I'm not lucky enough to have a bear foot boom or anything like that. Any tips would be great!

Thanks

Do you have a double boot ski, or is the back foot open

are you left foot forward or right

Comment

There are several ways to go about it - here's my big pointers.

A - head up, shoulders back, arms straight knees bent.

B - Don't "move" just hold position - your single biggest effort should be in clenching your butt and keeping your knees strong.

C- Look at the windshield of the boat.
      This does several things.
      If your head is up and looking at the window you won't get dragged under.
      If your arms are straight your shoulders will stay behind them like a rudder.
      Keeping the hips/low back/knees strong will keep you from buckling down onto the ski.
      Finally not moving keeps you stable/strong.

I for one do not endorse any foot out tom foolery.

Comment

Purchase an Easy up rope, dont set ski straight up and down in the water, get the back of the ski closer to your butt than you think. Make sure at least 4-6" of the ski is above the water.

Look up get up, look down fall down.

Comment

As of right now i have an older set of combo skis so its just the back foot open. So everyone suggest keeping my back foot in? what about driver of the boat? is this just a full throttle like 2 skis or is it more of a drag?

Comment

What TN said.
            Closer the tail of the ski is to your butt the easier you will come up
            Bailey
            '02 X-9
            Lake Blue Ridge

Comment

Throttle depends on your weight, but certainly more power needed then a two ski get up because of the lack of surface area. I have my wife count "three Mississippi" from the in gear position to almost full throttle. That gives me a nice quick pull-up, but doesn't jerk the rope out of my hands. YMMV

Comment

I was having a hard time trying to start on one ski. My problem was I couldn't hold on through the plow and I kept flopping over. I bought one of these trainer ropes and a pair of the MasterLine Pro-Lock gloves and I popped right up. This was after trying unsuccessfully for about two seasons.
                As far as position goes, I'd listen to the folks who've said keep the back foot in the rear binding and get your back heel up as close to your butt as possible.
                G

Comment

Another thing to consider is the ski itself. Make sure what you're using is size appropriate. We had a guy once trying to get out on a pair of "teen" skis which were way too small for his build. And then there's always You Tube.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYlbWMEwMqE

Comment

If you have both feet in and don't have a cheater rope, it makes a difference which side of the ski you put the rope when you are starting. If you have your left foot forward, put the rope to the right of the ski. If you are right foot forward, put it to the left of the ski.

Comment

Originally posted by gweaver View Post
                      I bought one of these trainer ropes and a pair of the MasterLine Pro-Lock gloves and I popped right up.
                      G
                      I too am facing the same issue. I have a kid ready for water starts but she can't seem to get it. How do these ropes work? Do they slip over the front of the ski and then somehow detach once the kid is up? I'm not understanding the mechanics of this.

Comment

Originally posted by H2ORidr View Post
                        I too am facing the same issue. I have a kid ready for water starts but she can't seem to get it. How do these ropes work? Do they slip over the front of the ski and then somehow detach once the kid is up? I'm not understanding the mechanics of this.
                        rope keeps the ski from flopping left right -
                        sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Originally posted by H2ORidr View Post
                          It's built like a regular handle but the rope triangle is extra long so you can stick the tip of the ski right in the middle of it. Allows the ski to be straight up and down and also can catch the ski a bit if it's drifting to one side. The loop is bit enough that the ski will slide out of the triangle as you get up. Back when I was learning to slalom we had double handle ropes that worked the same way.

Comment

Back foot to butt
                            Arms around the outside of your legs...handle in front of shins
                            Get enough tip out of the water so that the toes on your front foot are just under the water's surface

Driver does NOT hammer the throttle...easy progressive throttle up

Comment

Starting on one ski

I'll apologize in advance because I'm going to offer some contrary advice. I tried using an easy up or bridle rope and it just didn't work for me at all--maybe I was expecting it to be "too easy" with that device. At any rate, I felt it was actually making it harder and "in the way".

What worked for me was to make sure the ski was angled slightly away from the boat (like 11 or 1 o'clock position instead of straight up. Then as the boat begins to pull, really focus on keeping the ski pointed in that direction. Fully agree with arms straight and knees pulled up to your chest as far as possible--and hold that position as long as possible, but allow yourself to "roll forward" onto the front of the ski as you feel it start flatten out and then stand up. FWIW, I'm a new skier too. . only my second season. I have used the same technique to help my 15 year old daughter learn to get up this year, and it's working for her too.

My last "hint" is that once you get up, you'll gain confidence, but might also find that you struggle on the very next try (or outing). This has been both mine and my daughter's experience. It does take a few "up and down" days before you develop the muscle memory to stop thinking about it. . . but it'll happen!
                              Last edited by Kweisner; 07-02-2014, 07:01 PM.
                              "This one goes to eleven." 2007 ProStar 197 TT w/MCX and Powerslot.

Comment

Working...
                              X