MC's in NE Ohio on Berlin Lake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MC's in NE Ohio on Berlin Lake

I have been skiing in the Northest Ohio area now for 20 years and have owned my MasterCraft since 2001. Most of my time is spent skiing on Berlin Lake back in the chanel area, or part of the river, with by older brother. We started out on his 79 Ski Tique back in 1989 until he sold that in 1998 to do some home updates. We were without a comp boat for a few years until I bought my 1994 ProStar 205 from Rons Marine. One year after that my brother bought his 1999 Ski Nautique. We have spent a lot of time on Berlin and see many comp boats out there. You would only see my MC 50% of the time since I always go skiing with my brother and we switch between boats each trip (makes it hard to get used to a wake since they are different). We worked our way through all the sports starting with 2 ski's, slalom, kneeboard, barefooting, and then finally wakeboarding, which we kind of end up doing all the time now. Just so you know, I am 42 and my brother is 44, so we are not that good at wakeboarding compared to others I see at Berlin, but we have a good time.
    All that being said, I see many MasterCraft boats in the area and on the lake, and I wonder how many of you on are this forum? I am sure there are a few that are on here that don't put their boats on either Berlin, West Branch or Milton (which are both North of Berlin), but I would like to hear where you do go. When Berlin gets too low we end up going to Salt Fork, but I see fewer comp boats down there.
    If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.
    1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
    275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
    Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams

I have a lot family in the Akron area, and an uncle with a X-9/209. I have been to Salt Fork with them, and it was horrible. They have property on Clarion in PA and go there most of the time, but I have never been. I did a comp on Springfield Lake many years ago when there was Back Bay Marine (?) across the street.

I may try to come up later in the summer, and I will prob be looking for a pull while I am there, especially if I don't have time to go to Clarion with the family.
    Sattelye Wakeskates
    Inland Surfer Wakesurf Boards
    Spy Sunglasses
    Jet Pilot

Comment

Yeah, Salt Fork is a nice lake but completely sucks when a slight breeze hits. Total mess. Its also funny you mentioned Springfield Lake because in our early days we used to hit Portage Lakes and tried Springfield Lake once in my brothers Tique. The funny part of the story was that they had a rule about no speeding after 7PM and we didn't know it. Cops waiting at the dock and ticket time!!

Originally posted by Cary K. View Post
      I have a lot family in the Akron area, and an uncle with a X-9/209. I have been to Salt Fork with them, and it was horrible. They have property on Clarion in PA and go there most of the time, but I have never been. I did a comp on Springfield Lake many years ago when there was Back Bay Marine (?) across the street.

I may try to come up later in the summer, and I will prob be looking for a pull while I am there, especially if I don't have time to go to Clarion with the family.
      275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams

Comment

Sucks about the ticket. The family with the MC lives almost across the street from Portage Lakes entrance off Manchester, but NEVER go there. Don't remember their reasoning, but it must be bad if you live that close and don't use the lake.

I remember when I went up for the comp, that everybody I talked to thought Springfield Lake was disgusting and nobody from the area could believe I actually would get in the water. I didn't think it was that bad, it was cold as heck though!
        Sattelye Wakeskates
        Inland Surfer Wakesurf Boards
        Spy Sunglasses
        Jet Pilot

Comment

Portage Lakes is a cruising lake with houses everywhere. They have two small areas that you are allowed to either ski or speed depending on the time of day, then all you can do is go in circles. It sucks for skiing but it is nice for cruising and hitting a bar or dinner on the lake.
          275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar

Comment

Double D- We live in the Akron area (Stow) and primarily use West Branch simply because it is close to home. We usually head out on Friday evening and camp at the state park so that we can get some quality runs in morning and just before sun down. All of the lakes in this area are crazy duing the middle of the day unless it is cold or raining. As water levels drop at Berlin, which seems quite early most seasons, Salt Fok and Lake Seneca stay full. We also head to the Ohio River.

If you are ever out at West Branch, and see our Maristar come up a say hello. We often hide from the wallies that come out mid-day in "swimmers cove" on the south shore of the lake near the beach.
            Attached Files

Comment

Double D - My buddies and I are on Berlin almost every weekend and were there all last week on vacation. I have a 03 197 that is red and white, my buddy (Captain Planet on this forum) has a 30th anniversary 190 and our other buddies have an X2 and a 19 skier. We are usually out in the morning looking for good water and in the afternoon pulling the kids. We all live in the North Canton/Massillon area. If you see us out on the water idle over and say hi, we will look for you as well.

Comment

My wife and I spend most of our time at Westbranch (40th Anniv. PS197) but we get out to Berlin and Portage Lakes a couple of times a year just for a nice change of scenery. Berlin has a lot more going on than Westbranch and it makes for great people watching. We tend to ski mostly at Westbranch and use the other lakes for cruising.
                Cruise on over if you ever see us.

Comment

CF-Koch. Thanks for the response. The only time I was ever on West Branch was when I test drove my boat in 2001. We live closer to Berlin and can get there in 45 minutes, and I was not sure if West Branch had any "river type" areas that were good for skiiing. The water level becomes a problem for us about late August depending on rainfall. Some years we never have to go anywhere else but others its off to Salt Fork in August September. We have also gone to the Ohio River in the past down by Stuebenville and a place called Lincoln Park. But its been a few years. Too many things to get hooked on or hit for a fixed shaft boat.
                  Thanks for the invite and if you ever do make it to the chanel area at Berlin, say hello as well.

Originally posted by cf_koch View Post
                  Double D- We live in the Akron area (Stow) and primarily use West Branch simply because it is close to home. We usually head out on Friday evening and camp at the state park so that we can get some quality runs in morning and just before sun down. All of the lakes in this area are crazy duing the middle of the day unless it is cold or raining. As water levels drop at Berlin, which seems quite early most seasons, Salt Fok and Lake Seneca stay full. We also head to the Ohio River.

If you are ever out at West Branch, and see our Maristar come up a say hello. We often hide from the wallies that come out mid-day in "swimmers cove" on the south shore of the lake near the beach.
                  275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar

Comment

Double D, good to hear from somebody on the lake. As casx2 pointed out, we were out there all last week on vacation and are there just about every weekend. I have the 30th Anniversary 190 and am usually down at the "river" at some point during the day. I remember your Ski Tique, it was white with yellow letters wasn't it?

Anyway, If you see us out c'mon over and say hello. Where do you dock on the lake? I think I remember seeing your boat out on the water, but not parked anywhere.

As for your wakeboarding, you will have to catch up with one of the 17 year olds at our club. He competes in INT tournaments and can really fly. He skiis out on the 19 skier with ballast.
                    1998 ProStar 190 30th Anniversary, Corvette LT-1, STARS AND STRIPES BABY (with a really bad bimini)!!!!!!** * Footin' anyone?
                    RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT

"The truth is treason in the 'empire of lies'" - Ron Paul

Comment

Will do!! Our camping vacation is coming up on July 24th to the 29th. We usually stay at the State Park. Where did you stay on vacation?

Originally posted by casx2 View Post
                      Double D - My buddies and I are on Berlin almost every weekend and were there all last week on vacation. I have a 03 197 that is red and white, my buddy (Captain Planet on this forum) has a 30th anniversary 190 and our other buddies have an X2 and a 19 skier. We are usually out in the morning looking for good water and in the afternoon pulling the kids. We all live in the North Canton/Massillon area. If you see us out on the water idle over and say hi, we will look for you as well.
                      275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar

Comment

Originally posted by Double D View Post
                        Will do!! Our camping vacation is coming up on July 24th to the 29th. We usually stay at the State Park. Where did you stay on vacation?
                        Casx2 and I belong to a trailer park on the lake. Our docks are in the no-wake zone west of the Route 14 bridge. We've been there all our lives.
                        1998 ProStar 190 30th Anniversary, Corvette LT-1, STARS AND STRIPES BABY (with a really bad bimini)!!!!!!** * Footin' anyone?
                        RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT

Comment

Captain, good memory on my brother's Tique. You will still see it on the lake because a guy who lives just off the lake sometimes keeps it in the water just North of the island (by 225 bridge) over by the barn.

My brother was out this past Friday (in his 99 Nautique, Blue Metallic with white hull, and a pylon) with a group of his teacher friends (nice being a teacher with a comp boat, and I am stuck with a real job) but I was not able to get out because my son had a baseball tournament in Aurora all weekend. The only thing that made it worth it is we went 5-0 and won it.

We dont dock anywhere. We trailer it from Jackson TWP and drop in up by the damn, then drive all the way back. We used to drop in off 225 across from the airport but that ramp sucks the big one.

There is no way we'll be catching up to a wakeboarder that competes. Compared to that we look like beginners.

Maybe see you in a few weeks. We are heading down to Myrtle Beach this weekend for our final tournament and then I plan to get out more often.

Originally posted by captain planet View Post
                          Double D, good to hear from somebody on the lake. As casx2 pointed out, we were out there all last week on vacation and are there just about every weekend. I have the 30th Anniversary 190 and am usually down at the "river" at some point during the day. I remember your Ski Tique, it was white with yellow letters wasn't it?

Anyway, If you see us out c'mon over and say hello. Where do you dock on the lake? I think I remember seeing your boat out on the water, but not parked anywhere.

As for your wakeboarding, you will have to catch up with one of the 17 year olds at our club. He competes in INT tournaments and can really fly. He skiis out on the 19 skier with ballast.
                          275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar

Comment

I am pretty sure I know the place. The large docks with pontoons hanging off the west side. I always see the nice 190 with the Stars & Stripes docked there when we pass back and forth. Is that the 30th Anniversary boat? (Duh! I just read your signature.)
                            I also used to know a family that used to stay there. There last name was Cindia?? or something like that. We know there are a few places like that around Berlin but never dig deep enough to figure out how to get involved.

Originally posted by captain planet View Post
                            Casx2 and I belong to a trailer park on the lake. Our docks are in the no-wake zone west of the Route 14 bridge. We've been there all our lives.
                            Last edited by Double D; 07-13-2009, 01:22 PM. Reason: Read the Signature of the Captain.
                            275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar

Comment

Originally posted by Double D View Post
                              Captain, good memory on my brother's Tique. You will still see it on the lake because a guy who lives just off the lake sometimes keeps it in the water just North of the island (by 225 bridge) over by the barn.

My brother was out this past Friday (in his 99 Nautique, Blue Metallic with white hull, and a pylon) with a group of his teacher friends (nice being a teacher with a comp boat, and I am stuck with a real job) but I was not able to get out because my son had a baseball tournament in Aurora all weekend. The only thing that made it worth it is we went 5-0 and won it.

We dont dock anywhere. We trailer it from Jackson TWP and drop in up by the damn, then drive all the way back. We used to drop in off 225 across from the airport but that ramp sucks the big one.

There is no way we'll be catching up to a wakeboarder that competes. Compared to that we look like beginners.

Maybe see you in a few weeks. We are heading down to Myrtle Beach this weekend for our final tournament and then I plan to get out more often.
                              We were out on Friday....Uh....you didn't miss much. It was worse than a Saturday. We were figuring on getting a few footin passes in on our last real day of vacation. That didn't happen, in fact I left my slalom ski under the seat and just pulled my kids all day. I don't know where everybody came from but it was crazy.

I think my other buddy at our club knows your brother. He has mentioned knowing the guy that owns, or used to own, your old Ski Tique.

You better hurry, the lake is 1.4 feet below summer pool right now. If we don't start getting some rain we will be hurting by the middle of August.
                              RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT

Comment

Working...
                              X