Boating in Chicago

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boating in Chicago

Possibly moving to the Chicago area in the next 6 months and wondering where the majority of folks take their boat? We have a 2012 X35. Not familiar at all with the area other than we'd be looking at a house within a reasonable commute time to the O'Hare airport daily. Schaumburg area, etc
    Last edited by geshields; 01-17-2014, 03:23 PM.

We moved to Glenview 1.5 years ago so I know what you are feeling. Glenview is about 2o minutes northeast of Ohare. We have our boat on the Fox River up in Port Barrington. That's about a 45 minute drive for us. We like the Fox. The only problem -it get's too crowded after 12 on weekends. We usually go out anytime during the week or early on weekends.

Other places I hear people go is just north of Wisconsin border. Geneva is probably the busiest. South you can ski on the Illinois River by Channahon. I've never been down there but there's some guys on the forum that go down that way regularly.

I hope I've helped. Let me know if you have any other questions about moving up here.
    1995 Maristar 225 VRS

Comment

I live in Arlington Hts. and it is between 20 and 30 minutes to ORD. I ski on the Fox River out of Port Barrington area too. It would be about a 30 minute drive from AH to the boat. Yes weekends do get a little nuts, if you start early you will love it. I understand the IL. river is nice but if you want to stay near ORD the Fox is your best beat.

Comment

What part of town you moving to - North - south - west parts of town?

many places to go.. but access and traffic much different from north to south.
        sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

I live in Mt. Prospect, 10-15min north of O'hare. I do all my boating in WI. Years ago, when I was younger, we use to go to the Chain of Lakes.

Where are you moving to?

BTW, it's -11 right now!
          -Matt

Comment

Nothing is certain right now. We were mainly looking around Schaumburg but it may be Virginia now. And yes, we have been watching the temperatures up there and staying in Houston is definitely more appealing!

Comment

Originally posted by geshields View Post
              Nothing is certain right now. We were mainly looking around Schaumburg but it may be Virginia now. And yes, we have been watching the temperatures up there and staying in Houston is definitely more appealing!
              Work for united?
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Hoosier Bob
              She always misses me and when I turn her on it is hard to turn her off! She is MC and she completes me! She is the first ride that wants it as much as I do!

Comment

Originally posted by geshields View Post
                lol... until summer right?
                sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Yep. United..but the move would be for my wife's job...

Comment

hope you like traffic jambs and road de I mean connstrction

Comment

You can also boat on the fox in st Charles I'll. Not nearly as much of a stretch but its there.
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Hoosier Bob
                      She always misses me and when I turn her on it is hard to turn her off! She is MC and she completes me! She is the first ride that wants it as much as I do!

Comment

Working...
                      X