Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My GM truck needs more power!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My GM truck needs more power!

    Any GM gurus out there (Engine nut?) that can tell me how to add some horsepower easily to my 2000 Suburban 6.0 L? I tried a reprogrammer from Bully Dog, only made a slight difference so I returned it back to stock. I've got a K&N fresh air intake already.

    Any good sucess with other reprogrammers? (hypertech, etc.) When I had an '01 Denali it had alot more guts than this suburban (Denali was rated @ 325 hp, suburban is 300 hp)

    I don't want to get involved in engine work (cam, heads, etc.)

    Any magic solution?
    I was njskier on here.

  • #2
    My experience has been that the programmers really only add significant power with diesels because with diesels they can tweak the turbo boost. With a gas engine, there is only so much that can be done electronically. I tend not to believe the HP gain claims that a lot of the aftermarket parts manufacturers make.

    The easiest/best way IMHO to add serious power to a gas engine is with a supercharger, but this is not an easy "magic" solution, nor is it inexpensive.
    2002 X-Star
    http://www.nopowerturns.com

    Comment


    • #3
      I own a 2007 gmc 5.3. I installed Jba headers and magnaflow cat back dual, and AEM intake with a superchips programmer. The tuner will add horse power because it will let your rpms go higher and thats a good thing with intake and good exhuast, which in turn will give your that extra hp you want. Ill post some pictures of my engine. I noticed a nice gain in mid to high rpm towing the old boat around.

      Comment


      • #4
        All of the things that are installed on my truck where installed by me in my driveway with simple tools. They where not that hard to do if you know a little about trucks or if you can read instrutions.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ubugme2 View Post
          I own a 2007 gmc 5.3. I installed Jba headers and magnaflow cat back dual, and AEM intake with a superchips programmer. The tuner will add horse power because it will let your rpms go higher and thats a good thing with intake and good exhuast, which in turn will give your that extra hp you want. Ill post some pictures of my engine. I noticed a nice gain in mid to high rpm towing the old boat around.
          thats is the same thing i done to a friends truck, makes some good power and the basics for more later. I also installed a bigger throttle body,then three months later came the new injectors paxton supercharger. 397hp at the rear wheel now

          Comment


          • #6
            good HP gain would be the upgraded exhaust. and if you know someone in the muffler business have them knock out the cat.... (I didn't say that) and go bigger pipe from the cat back
            1998 Stingray 180LX
            2000 Infinity ZX-1 good riddens
            2003 Prostar TT 197 sold

            2007 Prostar TT 197.....special delivery from the dealer 3/18/08 sold 6/7/11

            Comment


            • #7
              I have been doing some reading and the newer chevy's have "Torque Management" installed in the performance curve. Only two ways I know of to remove it... Predator programmer or HP tuners software. HP tuners is very much customizeable but from what I have read has a very steep learning curve. The predator seems to be the logical choice of all the options for the novice but you are getting a "Canned Tune" with limited adjustability...it is the only hanheld I know of that allows you to reduce torque management.
              2002 Prostar 197

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by njskier View Post
                Any GM gurus out there (Engine nut?) that can tell me how to add some horsepower easily to my 2000 Suburban 6.0 L? I tried a reprogrammer from Bully Dog, only made a slight difference so I returned it back to stock. I've got a K&N fresh air intake already.

                Any good sucess with other reprogrammers? (hypertech, etc.) When I had an '01 Denali it had alot more guts than this suburban (Denali was rated @ 325 hp, suburban is 300 hp)

                I don't want to get involved in engine work (cam, heads, etc.)

                Any magic solution?
                Make it breathe faster and better.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by njskier View Post

                  Any magic solution?
                  Not magic but it's the solution

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    COZ that is a severe buzzkill for all of us who drive CHEVY !!!!! We can power up our Chevy's not to mention they ride better and don't have near as many squeaks on the interior.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by coz View Post
                      Not magic but it's the solution

                      if you want more problems anyway....




                      honestly these days it's probably six in one and six in the other to just a matter of what you prefer. just don't buy a Nissan cuz they won't stand behind their repairs for warranty.
                      1998 Stingray 180LX
                      2000 Infinity ZX-1 good riddens
                      2003 Prostar TT 197 sold

                      2007 Prostar TT 197.....special delivery from the dealer 3/18/08 sold 6/7/11

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        any of the ls series motors 4.8/5.3/6.0 really response to high flow exhaust, meaning long tube headers (not the shortys), cold air/high flow intake, and a good tune. i've been a gm tech for 16 years now and have done many performance up grades to vettes,f-bodies the 2004 and newer gto's and have seen 40 rwhp increase with these mod's. dyno tuning the is the way to go hand held tuners can be used but not with the same results, every car and truck are different and you have to take in account location,alt,humidity and air density. you could also change your rockerarm ratio for the stock 1.6 to 1.72 or the 1.8's that would be like changing your cam profile with out opening up the motor.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I tried a westers custom tune once. I was AMAZED at the way the 6.0 ran with a custom tune.

                          Some folks have great luck with them, but while my tune made the 6.0 run like a champ, it created shift issues and clatter... 4 tunes and 5 meetings later, the westers rep fried my ecm and I had to tow the truck to the dealer...... I haven't messed with a tuner since

                          Originally posted by x-10ron View Post
                          any of the ls series motors 4.8/5.3/6.0 really response to high flow exhaust, meaning long tube headers (not the shortys), cold air/high flow intake, and a good tune. i've been a gm tech for 16 years now and have done many performance up grades to vettes,f-bodies the 2004 and newer gto's and have seen 40 rwhp increase with these mod's. dyno tuning the is the way to go hand held tuners can be used but not with the same results, every car and truck are different and you have to take in account location,alt,humidity and air density. you could also change your rockerarm ratio for the stock 1.6 to 1.72 or the 1.8's that would be like changing your cam profile with out opening up the motor.
                          Say yes to cheap beer---- no to ethanol.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by coz View Post
                            Not magic but it's the solution

                            He didn't ask how to have ignition switches that burn, he wants more power from his truck.

                            There's a reason the Explorer is called 'Exploder', ya know.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I agree with coz...get a Ford Diesel if you need power...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X