Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tow Vehicle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tow Vehicle

    I need a new tow vehicle. Currently I have an '02 chevy avalanche bought 6 yrs ago with 25k miles and currently it has 215k on it. It rides nice but tows like it has a pair of pink panties on. It does not have air assist so the coil springs make it squat like I have a few fat girls under the bed cover.

    I absolutely love the bed cover on the avalanche as it comes off quick and I can have a truck bed or a trunk. Most of the time there is valuables under the bed cover that get hauled around.

    Ok here is my question. Do I keep the avalanche and buy a car or suv or sell and get a new tow rig.

    The car would be along the lines of a BMW or Infinity 2 door sports car being in financial business a challenger srt would probably not be the greatest idea.

    The suv would be along the lines of an tahoe ltz

    I can't haul tools, lawn equipment, or anything dirty in the suv or car so a truck would be needed too. Yes suv would be used to haul the boat.


    A new truck would be along the lines of a chevy or ford 1/2 ton Texas edition ltz or a king ranch. Im not really liking the idea of not being able to leave items in the truck bed. No I do not want a bed cover on a pick up. I think they are a pain to roll up, slide off, in bolt, etc. That style of cover will not be like my current secure cover.

    I have also considered a newer avalanche ltz but the tow haul scares me.

    My truck is very tired as I have been gasing the rods since I bought her.

    Btw I haul a 25' Baja outlaw at times and have considered buying a 27' fountain boat. I have hauled 27' and 25' bajas with my current 1/2 ton avalanche but she is straining somewhat.

    I don't want to afford a 3/4 diesel either.

    Is 4x4 a plus. Ive never had the need for 4x4 but think it may be cool. I have no clue what to get. I hate car salesmen and especially finance guys. I would rather scratch a tigers jewels than deal with the bs lies those guys come up with.

    Help me with ideas for a new ride. Thanks
    Rollin' Gangsta Style

    "Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
    If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

  • #2
    The new ford eco boost is a bad boy, v6 economy v8 power when needed, the max towing is like 10k pounds depends on how its equiped and 22mpg, if I was looking to replace my current lariat I would buy this new setup...
    James

    1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      I was towing my X45 with an 08' Tundra she had some issues pulling at highway speeds and would spin out the tires at every other boat ramp.
      If your thinking about bigger boats the diesel may be the way to go, I found a 05' F250 with 58,000 miles for 25k it had the less desirable 6.0 engine but after a couple mods and computer updates it should run like a clock.
      Anyway in my opinion once you pass around a 7000lbs trailer/boat weight the diesel is the only way to go and there are good deals out there on used diesels. Be careful though there are allot of ragged out pieces of junk out there to so educate yourself a little before going down the that road! Good luck

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by mikey.145 View Post
        I was towing my X45 with an 08' Tundra she had some issues pulling at highway speeds and would spin out the tires at every other boat ramp.
        If your thinking about bigger boats the diesel may be the way to go, I found a 05' F250 with 58,000 miles for 25k it had the less desirable 6.0 engine but after a couple mods and computer updates it should run like a clock.
        Anyway in my opinion once you pass around a 7000lbs trailer/boat weight the diesel is the only way to go and there are good deals out there on used diesels. Be careful though there are allot of ragged out pieces of junk out there to so educate yourself a little before going down the that road! Good luck
        Don't get me wrong I want a deisel but can't find one for a reasonable price that doesn't have 200k on it.

        F250 king ranch is what I really want but the prices are too high.

        What scares me to death is I have been through 2 transmissions in my truck and I'm on #3.

        Like I said I gas the rods in my vehicles. I've had 4 chevy 1/2 ton trucks and none of them have been able to keep a transmission in them none of them. Kinda tired of vehicles not lasting.
        Rollin' Gangsta Style

        "Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
        If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

        Comment


        • #5
          Btw I don't know the good years of the f250 trucks to look at.

          I think a black on black ltz tahoe or avalanche would be sharp with 22" rims.
          Rollin' Gangsta Style

          "Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
          If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

          Comment


          • #6
            Wanna stay away from the 6.0 L at least thats what I've been told from some ford dealership guys...
            Last edited by j.mccreight@hotmail.com; 06-02-2011, 08:29 PM.
            James

            1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Have you been in any of the newer GM 1/2 tons? I think they changed their transmission after 06, I have about 70k miles on my 07 Tahoe LTZ with 0 problems. In 07 the 5.3 got 30 more horses too, so she'd be more powerful than your 02.
              If you wanted more power could get a Yukon denali which has the 6.2 409 HP engine, and they're super nice.

              Comment


              • #8
                Is that an Ilmor in that Yukon...
                James

                1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  F250

                  Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                  Btw I don't know the good years of the f250 trucks to look at.

                  I think a black on black ltz tahoe or avalanche would be sharp with 22" rims.
                  I can help if interested....
                  Cj

                  05 F250 SD CC LB.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by willyt View Post
                    Have you been in any of the newer GM 1/2 tons? I think they changed their transmission after 06, I have about 70k miles on my 07 Tahoe LTZ with 0 problems. In 07 the 5.3 got 30 more horses too, so she'd be more powerful than your 02.
                    If you wanted more power could get a Yukon denali which has the 6.2 409 HP engine, and they're super nice.
                    My ex has an 08 tahoe ltz. It pulls a lot nicer and has more power.

                    Kinda thinking keep my worn out truck and get a tahoe or avalanche. My new vehicle will be a work vehicle for me and needs to be nice. A 3/4 ton is not a vehicle to show up to someones house and take care of their insurance and investments.
                    Rollin' Gangsta Style

                    "Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
                    If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      More F250 6.0hno...

                      Originally posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com View Post
                      Wanna stay away from the 6.0 L at least thats what I've been told from some ford dealership guys...
                      I own one and could agree with you somewhat. Anyone reads enough stuff will never buy anything... More people publically complain then commend.

                      I had trouble for about 3 months right after I bought it but nothing I have owned pulls as hard and has been as reliable since... If you do your proper maint as specified in the manual, it should be reliable. People who "hotrod" them or dont follow maintenance routines have trouble

                      Pulls like crazy STOCK. (10,000 pounds routinely). Just finished a trip towing a 32 foot enclosed trailer loaded up to the max; ATV in the bed (8 hours each way going 70 plus with an average of 12 mpg - including air on heading home in 95 degree temps though rush hour traffic on Mem Day) As a daily driver I get 20 (Which really ticks off my wife since her Subaru gets terrible mileage)

                      For those who dont know the short hand, I have a 2005 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab (4 door), with the 8 foot box and a 6.0 Diesel. I bought my 05 F250 for 1/2 of bluebook price because they have a bad rep. (and I didnt mention it came loaded: Leather, sunroof, 4x4, tint, brake controller, CB, power seats, etc, etc, etc)


                      cj

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                        My ex has an 08 tahoe ltz. It pulls a lot nicer and has more power.

                        Kinda thinking keep my worn out truck and get a tahoe or avalanche. My new vehicle will be a work vehicle for me and needs to be nice. A 3/4 ton is not a vehicle to show up to someones house and take care of their insurance and investments.
                        I don't know about that, to me that speaks volumes that you are taking care of your money and spending it wisely. My finance guy is not a flashy guy, kind of like thatů..

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Huskie05 View Post
                          I don't know about that, to me that speaks volumes that you are taking care of your money and spending it wisely. My finance guy is not a flashy guy, kind of like thatů..
                          My clients are all 65+. I don't know what opinions that they will create with a 3/4 ton or a tahoe.
                          Rollin' Gangsta Style

                          "Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
                          If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Whatever I get will have leather. I hate cloth. Cloth collects lint like crazy. I wear slacks and dress clothes often. My previous truck had cloth and it always looked like I had walked through a dog kennel before appointments. Leather is easier to keep IMO. Yes it's hot or cold but that doesn't phase me. I love my leather now and will continue to have leather.
                            Rollin' Gangsta Style

                            "Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
                            If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Lay off the 6.0 and 6.4 Ford diesels. 6.4's seem reliable enough, but abysmal fuel mileage.
                              Other than that I got nothin. So you're between an Infiniti, Bimmer, Avy, Tahoe or 3/4 ton diesel?
                              Personally I'd roll a Dmax or Cummins powered truck. Get the Dmax if you don't want to sound like Billy Bob pulling up to your clients' homes, or get a half ton and the first time you roast teh trans get it built for extra hp and you'll be set (same with the diesel btw once you get the diesel bug and chip it, say goodbye to your auto trans if your're beatin on it alot).
                              '06 X2 MCX

                              "I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X