tow tube from tower?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tow tube from tower?

Purchased large tube for wounded warrior program we participate in, video shows being towed from tower, any opinions or experience?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=zdHINC3Zduw

Yes you can tow a tube from the tower.
    Tim
    Gone, surfing.

Comment

Everything I've read says not to pull tubes from the tower. There are warnings on the tower discouraging it as well on my zft-2.

Comment

I'll quote NDT owner "you won't break my tower. I wouldn't tow more than 3, assuming you installed it correctly"

I guess it depends on what tower you have and how well you put it in.

I'm pretty confident in mine as it was installed with incredible attention to durability. A cheaper tower with an average skilled install would not be recommended.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
        sigpic
        When I was a child, I used to talk as a child, think as a child, reason as a child; when I became a man, I put aside childish things.
        1 Corinthians Chapter 13 - 11

Comment

My local dealer doesn't like the idea of towing tubes from the tower. He did say that an 8 yr old probably won't hurt the tower.

Comment

Not that I would do it or am saying its right, but I've seen a 197 with stock MC tower tow up to six tubes at a time, all with teen age kids on them-----And he isn't just leisure towing---He tears up the lake with those tubes!!
            You haven't lived until you grab a wild hog by the legs when a dog is holding him by the ear!!

Comment

Thanks all, ps197 with nd tower. this particular tube looks to have less drag, video shows being pulled by pwc.

Comment

Dealers will tell you not to tow tubes from the tower.

Comment

Dealers should tell you not to tow tubes period.

Comment

Originally posted by bikenskijerm View Post
                    Everything I've read says not to pull tubes from the tower. There are warnings on the tower discouraging it as well on my zft-2.
                    The sticker on my tower says nothing about NOT towing tubes.

This question comes up every now and then.

How can a tube put more stress on a tower then a wakeboarder cutting across a wake?

This is the factory MC tower warning label for an 06. If a tube isn't a recreational towable I don't know what is.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by CantRepeat; 05-27-2013, 06:54 AM.
                    Tim
                    Gone, surfing.

Comment

Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
                      The sticker on my tower says nothing about NOT towing tubes.

This question comes up every now and then.

How can a tube put more stress on a tower then a wakeboarder cutting across a wake?

This is the factory MC tower warning label for an 06. If a tube isn't a recreational towable I don't know what is.
                      The surface area alone makes the strain on the tower higher. I know our dealer, which is the highest volume dealer in the world, tells their customers not to tube from the tower. I was also told during the factory tour that you shouldn't as well, so I think it's a safe bet that they don't want you towing tubes from the tower.

I have also read that owing from the tower inceases the chances of the tube getting lift off, increasing the potential of serious injury when the rider is dumped from height. Pretty sure we've all seen the videos of this happening as well. All in all, not a good idea, IMO.

Comment

I've towed 3 tubes with adults on them from my tower. As well as one guy on an overturned picnic table. I'm not worried at all.

But your boat is not my boat.

Red pill or Blue pill. That is the question.
                        sigpic
                        When I was a child, I used to talk as a child, think as a child, reason as a child; when I became a man, I put aside childish things.

Comment

Originally posted by scott023 View Post
                          The surface area alone makes the strain on the tower higher. I know our dealer, which is the highest volume dealer in the world, tells their customers not to tube from the tower. I was also told during the factory tour that you shouldn't as well, so I think it's a safe bet that they don't want you towing tubes from the tower.

I have also read that owing from the tower inceases the chances of the tube getting lift off, increasing the potential of serious injury when the rider is dumped from height. Pretty sure we've all seen the videos of this happening as well. All in all, not a good idea, IMO.
                          Just because you sell boats doesn't make you a design engineer so he's not an authority about towers or towables.

The waring label clearly says what you can and cannot tow from the tower.

I hope towing from the tower gives you more lift because getting air is fun!!

The surface area really doesn't mean all that much. A wakeboard carving across the water has little surface area but creates a tremendous about of drag with very little edge in the water. How could a tube skimming across the water do that?
                          Tim
                          Gone, surfing.

Comment

Exactly, when I am toed out on the edge while wakeboarding I pull the boat over to its side. When I whip a tube I barely feel it when its on the side.

This tube from tower thing has always bothered me that people say don't do it. It just doesn't make sense to me why you couldn't.
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm going to buy a hanging scale this summer and attach the rope to it and see how much pressure is really being exerted. That will lay this to rest.

Or someone on here that already has one should do it.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X