New slalom ski design

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New slalom ski design

Anybody out there heard anything about these new 'relaxed' waterskis for open water skiing? Not saying I am going to rush out and buy one, but it seems like a decent idea for when the boat is full, you have newbies on board, etc.

Overview: http://vimeo.com/49747021

Skis:
    HO Freeride:
    http://www.hosports.com/waterskis-freeride.php

Radar has one with a wood core, but their site is under construction right now and I can not think of the name of it. It looks similar to a older Maharajah.

Any opinions on this?

NCSONE
    2005 ProStar 197TT, #28 of 100

Broken Bow, OK vacation cabin for rent -
    www.sipnskicabin.com

I suck at skiing. Do you think a ski like this would be good for a novice?

Comment

Originally posted by rkhodges21 View Post
      I suck at skiing. Do you think a ski like this would be good for a novice?
      Yeah, probably so. Lots of surface area makes them easy to get out of the water on, a stable ride and slower speeds are all good things for those new to the activity.

www.sipnskicabin.com

Comment

I had a previous version of the Freeride - great beginner to novice ski. the new design makes a very fun ski...you won't win and competitions with it - but it's a great price and a great product. Kind of looking like the next model will be a type of cross-over wake/ski thing... I really doubt the edge design will make that much difference for the demographic of this ski buyer. It's always been a great cruisin' ski - Kinda like driving a pickup truck without power steering tho...
        sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg205 View Post
          I had a previous version of the Freeride - great beginner to novice ski. the new design makes a very fun ski...you won't win and competitions with it - but it's a great price and a great product. Kind of looking like the next model will be a type of cross-over wake/ski thing... I really doubt the edge design will make that much difference for the demographic of this ski buyer. It's always been a great cruisin' ski - Kinda like driving a pickup truck without power steering tho...
          It did seem like Marcus wasn't ripping the turns nearly as good as he can, but I don't really plan to do any competitions, I just want to be able to enjoy any and all types of towboat watersports i.e. ski, wakeboard, surf, kneeboard, and maybe even try the chair. I know I gotta lose some weight though or I will have trouble doing just about any of it.

Comment

I am thinking I may pick one up for those days when we have a boat full of people and I just want to do something to get in the water and get wet.

www.sipnskicabin.com

Comment

HO add looks like the ski sizes are 65" 167" 169" 171" 65 is to short for me the others would be a bit to long I think.http://www.hosports.com/waterskis-freeride.php
              99 MariStar 230 Sport LTR 330

Comment

Might I suggest one of these. They don't make water rough enough or a wake large enough to bother you on one of these. They have just about doubled in price since I bought mine 9 years ago though.

Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Comment

I normally ski a HO System 8 68". I bought a HO Triumph 69" for the bigger boys to use, it's the wider more forgiving shape. It does not have a double tunnel like the Burner or the other freeride series - I have a friend with the Burner who could never get comfortable with it. If it were me, I would stay away from any of those double tunnel models - if it were such a great design idea we would have seen it elsewhere.

Whenever the water is rough and/or I just want an easier ride, I grab the Triumph - rides nice and easy and if I have the driver slow down a couple ticks it makes some nice carving turns and throws a good wall of water.

My wife needed her first slalom when I taught her and we bought another wider body ski - the Connelly Outlaw. As with the Triumph, the wider shape helps the skier get out of the water quicker and provides a nice stable ride.
                  2002 ProStar 197

Comment

That new Radar ski interests me as well with the wood core, but their website has been down for the last 3 days so I can not link to it just yet.

The HO seemed interesting with the reverse sidewall on the back 1/2 of the ski and all. The Radar ski looks super laid back. May just have to demo one to see what it is all about.

www.sipnskicabin.com

Comment

Originally posted by east tx skier View Post
                      Might I suggest one of these. They don't make water rough enough or a wake large enough to bother you on one of these. They have just about doubled in price since I bought mine 9 years ago though.

Eastie -

I want the ski to big enough and relaxed enough so that the boat passengers are more uncomfortable going across the water than me! ha!

www.sipnskicabin.com

Comment

I know no matter where I go with my parents on their boat, we can never seem to find glass waters. I think mainly because we don't get up early enough, but I digress. If I am going to ski, I need a big ski (since I am a big boy, 6'1", 260 lbs) and I need it to handle chop fairly well.

East TX, does that say MAHA? What is the model?

Comment

Radar info

http://waterskimag.com/equipment/201...s-skiing-easy/

Comment

Originally posted by ncsone View Post
                            Eastie -

I want the ski to big enough and relaxed enough so that the boat passengers are more uncomfortable going across the water than me! ha!
                            Looks like a Maherajah 360.....fiberglass version ?

Comment

That wood be the Maha Longboard. Current price is over $2000.00.
                              Last edited by ski_king; 01-28-2013, 04:19 PM. Reason: misspelling, pun intended
                              STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER

Comment

Working...
                              X