How to remove decal adhesive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove decal adhesive?

I am halfway through a decal/logo update for my 99 MC SportStar. I removed both of the large MasterCraft Decals on the sides this weekend. I am looking for recommendations for an adhesive remover. The vinyl decal came off okay but the adhesive is stubborn. Thanks in advance, Jamie
    Currently Boatless, searching for next boat SN 196...?
    Previous Boats:
    99 MasterCraft SportStar CB
    98 Moomba Boomerang 310 HP 350 Carb
    88 MC PowerSlot 240 HP 351 Carb Black on White

break clean?
    You don't have to buy a lake to own it~MasterCraft

Comment

Originally posted by VTJC
      I am halfway through a decal/logo update for my 99 MC SportStar. I removed both of the large MasterCraft Decals on the sides this weekend. I am looking for recommendations for an adhesive remover. The vinyl decal came off okay but the adhesive is stubborn. Thanks in advance, Jamie

I used this on my SUV when I removed the fender flares this weekend. it was a pain, but worked.

Blaster Decal and Sticker remover

I bought it at Advanced Auto.

Not sure if it is safe for gelcoat or not...

Also, you might want to wear a mask as I doubt the fumes are healthy. I hvae had no ill eeffct tohugh.
      If my words don't make sense, try reading them backwards.

Comment

I tried brake cleaner and spray on glass cleaner, neither worked particularly well. I need to buy some true adhesive remover, but thought others might have ideas.
        Previous Boats:

Comment

When I redid the woodgrain decals on my jeep, a heat gun was the ticket. I'd be leary using it on gelcoat without researching it further. Maybe start with a hairdryer. 3M makes a decal remover as well, but I'd get some feedback as to how it affects the surface.
          Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Comment

Another note is that the decal remover or adhesive remover will strip the wax so you will need to wax the area afterwards. Of course if you are putting new decals on, it may be a good thing to strip the wax.
            If my words don't make sense, try reading them backwards.

Comment

Thanks I used a heat gun judiciously to get the vinyl portion off.
              Previous Boats:

Comment

Originally posted by east tx skier
                the woodgrain decals .
                Really nice Clark, really nice.
                It's Snowing in the UP

Comment

GooGone. Works great and available at most any megamart or hardware store. Just wax after.
                  Last edited by BrianM; 08-08-2006, 02:45 PM.
                  sigpic

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Comment

Jamie, I heard about the 3m stuff on the Jeep forum when I was having a hard time with heat and a rubber spatula getting the 18 yr old adhesive off. There was some concern from those guys as to how it would react with the painted finish that had no clear coat.

"Don't know why they call it hamburger helper; it does just fine by itself."
                    Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Comment

Not sure what goof-off would do to the gelcoat, but it will remove the adhesive.
                      It's Snowing in the UP

Comment

WD-40 works for me
                        Hello, my name Ryan!

Comment

Originally posted by BrianM
                          GooGone. Works great and available at most any megamart or hardware store. Just wax after.
                          I second GooGone...

Comment

Originally posted by east tx skier

"Don't know why they call it hamburger helper; it does just fine by itself."

Try the new Chitterling Helper and Vienna Sausage Helper!
                            Charter Member Number 1

Quote: 2RLAKE,
                            At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Comment

Goof Off, probably same type of thing as Goo Gone. Never had a problem using it on gelcoat

Comment

Working...
                              X