Marks on boat from boat buddy!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marks on boat from boat buddy!

When I pull the boat up on to the trailer, the boat buddy is leaving marks on the hull of the bow! Is there something I can do to make it stop, and how do I get the marks off?

It is to the point where I am thinking about just taking the boat buddy off and using a bow roller. Pros/Con????

Here is a picture, not sure if you can see the damage.....
    Attached Files
    sigpicwww.lauderdalelakesmarina.com

one more angle....
    Attached Files

Comment

One of my dad's friends warned us about that when you drive the boat fully onto the trailer. He said to drive it most of the way and then just crank it up the remaining few inches to avois it. I'm pretty sure that he also said the marks are easily removable, but I have not tried since we dont have any marks yet.
      Red white and black '04 PS197, Predator 5.7L 310 HP.

Comment

Here's a thought; You're dropping the trailer in the water too far, thus causing the boat to ride up the BB to a point of activation. Don't drop the trailer quite as far, allowing the boat to ride higher on the bunks, resulting in direct and initial contact where the clip activates.

Maybe I'm missing your point here or the problem shown in the pics.

Just two more pennies Erk..... :idunno:

Now, how will a bow roller stop the marks or change the format of how you load the boat? Will it make the bow ride higher, resulting in direct and initial contact where the clip activates?

I'd think the roller would cause similar marks upon contact... The older trailers don't have the roller so I'm trying to learn here as well.
        93 190
        Don't be a boot licker

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

sigpic

..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
        NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Comment

Carpet the Boat Buddy?

A while ago a member said he had his carpeted! He cut the carpet to fit and glued it to the rubber. He said in his post that he used the same carpet that came on his rails. No more marks. I still have yet to try this but it is on my list. In the meantime I will continue to polish them off after every trip!
          BAREFOOTING: I knew it was gonna hurt when I felt my arse cheeks hit me in the back of my head!

!UOY NAHT RETSAF MA I TUB KNURD EB YAM I

Comment

Try using a mister clean magic eraser. They work pretty well for those and alot of other hard to get off marks/stains.
            My drinking team has a skiing problem!!!!
            1995 Prosport 205

Comment

Just wax real good on the nose and those rubber marks come right off. Never had enough problem for me to want to take it off. It is damn nice to have on a crowded ramp. Back down, drive on, drive away. Get all of the details later away from the crowd. It is worth the marks for me.
              Dave
              '95 ProStar 205 LT1

Comment

Marks from Boat buddy

I have the same problem with mine just use a good wax. And it will look good as new

Comment

Originally posted by Sporty
                  Here's a thought; You're dropping the trailer in the water too far, thus causing the boat to ride up the BB to a point of activation. Don't drop the trailer quite as far, allowing the boat to ride higher on the bunks, resulting in direct and initial contact where the clip activates.

Maybe I'm missing your point here or the problem shown in the pics.

Just two more pennies Erk..... :idunno:

Now, how will a bow roller stop the marks or change the format of how you load the boat? Will it make the bow ride higher, resulting in direct and initial contact where the clip activates?

I'd think the roller would cause similar marks upon contact... The older trailers don't have the roller so I'm trying to learn here as well.
                  I will try pulling the boat trailer out alittle farther next time we are on the ramp, which hopefully will be tomorrow!

The roller would not make the marks because the bow would roll up and down the roller and not drag across it.

Comment

Erk, all this hubbub with your 96 makes me think you outta just give me your ride and get you a new one.
                    Living like no one else so later we can live like no one else

MC's owned:
                    1986 Skier 19
                    1995 ProStar 190
                    2003 X-7
                    1994 ProStar 205 (current)

Comment

Either carpet what you've got or get a bow roller. I have an open bow and have been very happy with the roller because I can just walk up and hook up the boat. With a closed bow, I'd go with the carpet.

Acetone will get the black marks off. But make sure you wash well afterwards and follow with wax.
                      Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Comment

Wow, if thats "damage" in your book, then you need to put the trailer in a little deeper & take a lot more time getting the boat carefully up on the trailer. The marks usually just wipe off my boat with a sponge.... guess it's the wax that keeps them from building up.
                        -
                        Bill
                        -former '94 PS205 owner. Still ridin my Sky Ski.....

Comment

I pulled the trailer up so that the fenders were about 2" above the water today when we took the boat out, and it seemed to by much easier with less impact w/ the boat buddy.

Comment

The problem is with the V carpet under the bow. Loosen the screws and push them together tighter, add more carpet, or add more washers/filler on the back side. I changed my V bunker and now my Boat Buddy rubber doesn't touch my boat. The Bow Eye is long enough to reach the pin without touching the Buddy.

Fingernail polish remover and cotton ball removes the skid marks.

My fenders are underwater when I load. I like to float up with very little power up (better on the coastline).
                            If you're not falling, you're not trying hard enough!
                            '94 PS 205
                            www.Re-coil.com

Comment

I've never needed much more than a dry towel to remove the marks but it's problably (as mentioned earlier) because the hull the gelcoat is waxed.
                              Say yes to cheap beer---- no to ethanol.

Comment

Working...
                              X