Carpet Cleaning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpet Cleaning

I need to do a thorough cleaning of the carpet in my boat. Anyone have any tips for how to get it looking fresh and new? I was thinking just hose it down and then scrub it with a soft plastic brush and soapy water. I am sure you guys doing these resto projects have some ideas. Thanks.

By the way the carpet is in great shape. Doesnt need to be replaced. Just cleaned.

Comment

Pressure wash at a coin operated car wash then extract most of the water with a wet/dry shop vac.

Comment

Pressure wash at a coin operated car wash then extract most of the water with a wet/dry shop vac.
        x2. I usually throw some carpet cleaner in the mix, scrub the bad areas with a soft brissle brush, and let it clean the bilge area while its at it but for 2 bucks you are so fresh and clean. Try to let it sit in direct sunlight for a bit before you hop in. No matter how clean you think you are you'll track crap into that wet carpet

Comment

Since getting all hard wood flooring in my home, I had been tempted to garage sale my very expensive carpet/steamer. I just use that with the some liquid cleaner dumped in and you won't believe the color of the water in the cleaner after using it on the boat

Comment

I use a Bissell Little Green cleaner on my carpets. It works great and is easy to get into all of the little nooks and crannies. Someone on here suggested it to me a few years back and I have been very happy with it.
            sigpic1999 Prostar 205 with 330 HP LTR

Comment

Bucket of warm water and some regular Tide (no bleach). Work it into the carpet with a soft brush, then hose it into the bilge with high pressure attachment. Shop vac to dry and follow up with some sunshine.

Extra step is to work some fabric softener and water into the carpet after cleaning and rinsing, but before drying. Let it sit an hour or so. Then, rinse. Then dry. Fluffs it up a bit.
              Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Comment

Thanks guys. I will give these a try. I appreciate the advice.

Comment

I will send before and after pics in a few weeks. I will be doing the same thing, cleaning carpets. My plan is this. Tide, fabric softener and a scrub brush after soaking the carpet. Then my shop vac instead though to get moisture out. Lastly, Stainguard. I hate to see the carpet under my engine lid fluffier than the rest...drives me crazy!!! I'll then ba able to use my green machine for monthly touch ups...man that water comes out brown every time I use it.
                  2 at 32' off 34 mph PB July 2006

Comment

I'm looking forward to doing this once it warms up here a little.
                    1995 MasterCraft Pro Star 190 ~ LT-1 ~ Power Slot

Comment

Originally posted by mattb View Post
                      I'm looking forward to doing this once it warms up here a little.
                      I am with you on that..... spring is just around the corner here!

Comment

Originally posted by ntidsl View Post
                        I will send before and after pics in a few weeks. I will be doing the same thing, cleaning carpets. My plan is this. Tide, fabric softener and a scrub brush after soaking the carpet. Then my shop vac instead though to get moisture out. Lastly, Stainguard. I hate to see the carpet under my engine lid fluffier than the rest...drives me crazy!!! I'll then ba able to use my green machine for monthly touch ups...man that water comes out brown every time I use it.
                        Don't be stingy with the fabric softener. Mix it in a spray bottle with some water and give the carpet a good once over. If it doesn't fluff like new, what can I say, at least it smells amazingly good.

When I did it, I erred on the side of not much fabric softener and did not get much of a result.
                        Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Comment

I used to use a Rug Doctlor with little to no soap.
                          '97 Prostar 190 - LT-1

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.

Comment

Originally posted by russlars View Post
                            I use a Bissell Little Green cleaner on my carpets. It works great and is easy to get into all of the little nooks and crannies. Someone on here suggested it to me a few years back and I have been very happy with it.
                            I'm with russlars as I had been recommended to use the Little Green for the car/truck carpets. I finally went out and bought one the other day and used it on the carpets in the Yukon that I recenly bought used. By sight, they were pretty dirty (to say the least). I was still amazed at the color of the dirty water that came out of the carpets. It was almost black, and the carpets are pretty darn clean now.

I am ready to do the carpets in the Prostar with it when its warm enough for them to dry afterwards.

Comment

Gents,

This past weekend I took a hose, a spray bottle of fabric softener and a few beers into the boat. I soaked the carpet good....I mean real good then scrubbed the heck out of it with a scrub brush for a good half hour...then hosed it out as well as I could. Repeated...then sprayed a dose of fabric softener in a scrubbed that in. Then lightly hosed out the excess. I then dried rigorously with 3 beach towels to further fluff...I was wore out!!! Tow hours of hosing, scrubbing and drinking

Three hours of intense sun and heat later I couldn't tell the difference between the carlet under the doghouse and the carpet that used to be trampled flat.

So excited!!!

BTW...the bilge was immaculate when I was done!
                              2 at 32' off 34 mph PB July 2006

Comment

Working...
                              X