Broken Center Window

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Center Window

So as I was leaving the lake today and driving down the road I look in my mirror and see that my center window has been shattered. I have no idea what happened but a car did pass me right before I saw it broken. Who knows, but it did shatter backwards because all the glass was all over the floor and seats, and I couldn't find anything that did it.

I'm thankful its not one of the curved windows but my question for you experts is; can I just take it to any glass shop for replacement? Is there are particular type of glass I need to use?

Thanks!!

Attached Files
    If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
    275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
    Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams

Darn that sucks...
    sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

That's a major bummer Double D. While i am not sure about the replacement glass, i do know your Kyle cupholders look awesome!
      1998 MariStar 200 VRS, LT1, PowerSlot

Comment

Originally posted by SP Maristar View Post
        That's a major bummer Double D. While i am not sure about the replacement glass, i do know your Kyle cupholders look awesome!
        LOL, thanks a lot.

Sent from Never Neverland using Tapatalk 2

275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams

Comment

I ve seen a few on ebay
          "Hey baby want to make fourteen dollars the hard way?"--Rondhey Dangerfeild-Caddy Shack.

"Was it over when the German's bombed pearl harbor ?"
          ---Animal house

Comment

Sorry to hear that, wish I knew
            2012 MC X-25

Comment

Any full-service glass shop can cut a piece of tempered glass that will fit. I would just take the frame in and let them do their thing. It shouldn't cost much and the old glass wasn't laminated glass, so the new one doesn't need to be.

You had some bad luck, but not nearly as bad as it would have been on one of the sides. I expect it to cost less than $100.
              '96 ProStar 205 SD LT-1

Comment

Originally posted by Table Rocker View Post
                Any full-service glass shop can cut a piece of tempered glass that will fit. I would just take the frame in and let them do their thing. It shouldn't cost much and the old glass wasn't laminated glass, so the new one doesn't need to be.

You had some bad luck, but not nearly as bad as it would have been on one of the sides. I expect it to cost less than $100.
                Thanks TR. I also felt my luck could have been much worse!

275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar

Comment

Originally posted by Double D View Post
                  So as I was leaving the lake today and driving down the road I look in my mirror and see that my center window has been shattered. I have no idea what happened but a car did pass me right before I saw it broken. Who knows, but it did shatter backwards because all the glass was all over the floor and seats, and I couldn't find anything that did it.

I'm thankful its not one of the curved windows but my question for you experts is; can I just take it to any glass shop for replacement? Is there are particular type of glass I need to use?

Thanks!!

The photo with you looks like the lower edge of the frame has two dings in the black paint- if those are new, they probably happened at the same time. Better look all over the boat for stone chips and call your insurance agent.

Comment

Originally posted by JimN View Post
                    The photo with you looks like the lower edge of the frame has two dings in the black paint- if those are new, they probably happened at the same time. Better look all over the boat for stone chips and call your insurance agent.
                    Actually that's my brother, the Nautique owner...

I checked the video I took yesterday and those marks are there. Good catch though.. (I need to fix those )

Not sure its worth effecting my insurance for just this window, especially since Progressive actually dropped my rate this year. My hope the cost will be around or less than $100....
                    Attached Files

275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar

Comment

That s badluck!
                      Is there any light tint in that center glass and the rest of the windshield
                      Agree that a side glass would have been more costly and a lot harder to find!
                      Good luck!
                      Keep skiing!!!

Comment

Originally posted by André View Post
                        That s badluck!
                        Is there any light tint in that center glass and the rest of the windshield
                        Agree that a side glass would have been more costly and a lot harder to find!
                        Good luck!
                        Cant tell about the tint but when I took it to the glass shop today they said there would only be about three possible colors for safety glass and it wasn't the other two.

I also checked with my favorite dealer Chris at Boat House Marine and he suggested that any glass shop can handle and that its safety glass.

The good news is I am in for about $55 installed (in the frame). The bad news is that "IF" the glass doesn't come on the Thursday delivery truck, it will be next Tuesday.

275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar

Comment

The piece that broke out wasn't safety glass, it was tempered glass. You can tell by the fact that it broke all the way out.

Tempered glass is heat treated glass that is stronger and when broken shatters into small bits instead of shards. Safety glass is two sheets of tempered glass with a plastic film in between. Safety glass is used on car windshields. Tempered glass is used on the rest of the car (a few cars have safety glass on the other windows for occupant retention).

If it doesn't arrive in time, pull that center section out via the hinge pin and enjoy the weekend. I'm glad it is a cheap fix, but it's hard to feel lucky I am sure.
                          '96 ProStar 205 SD LT-1

Comment

Was going to post up same thing as Table Rocker. Safety glass doesn't shatter and break apart last I checked. Looked tempered and tempered glass will be a bit more than $55. If you stick with the safety glass I am afraid they may not match up close enough.
                            sigpic
                            When I was a child, I used to talk as a child, think as a child, reason as a child; when I became a man, I put aside childish things.
                            1 Corinthians Chapter 13 - 11

Comment

Originally posted by Double D View Post
                              Actually that's my brother, the Nautique owner...

I checked the video I took yesterday and those marks are there. Good catch though.. (I need to fix those )

Not sure its worth effecting my insurance for just this window, especially since Progressive actually dropped my rate this year. My hope the cost will be around or less than $100....
                              Ah hell. buy a new boat!
                              http://weathersticker.wunderground.c.../Brunswick.gif

Comment

Working...
                              X