Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is jl 750.1 limited frequency response an audible issue when powering tower speaker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is jl 750.1 limited frequency response an audible issue when powering tower speaker

Just noticed an oversight on my part. I ordered a jl 750.1 to power the rev 410 i just added to my tower. Until it shows up, i have the 410 powered by bridged channels from a jl 600.4. IMO it sounds great as is, but ordered the 750 as most seem to agree that power in the range of the 750 is more in line with the 410 to get the most out of it.

However, i am now concerned that the 410 may sound worse with the 750 vs the 600 as per jl's website the frequency response of the 750 only goes up to 8k whereas the 600 hoes up to 20k. Excuse my ignorance, but does anybody know how distinct the audible difference will be missing these higher frequencies? I imagine it would be quite noticable. Has anybody upgraded their tower speakers with a 750 and did it sound worse afterwards?

Thanks - jason

JL Audio made a recent change from 'fullrange' to 'widerange' on the JL Audio HD750/1 and MHD750/1. So check with JL Audio or your dealer with your serial number to determine which version you have.
    The widerange version has more bandwidth than 8 kHz but begins to roll-off at that point. You will not hear the difference when at the end of a rope at wake range. But you might hear a difference when at rest depending on the speaker.

David
    Earmark Marine
    www.earmarkmarine.com

Comment

David - what will this mean with my 4 JL 7.7's on my tower when I use the MHD-750/1 to drive them? Should I be concerned about the potentially limited bandwidth?

Comment

Originally posted by treiter View Post
        David - what will this mean with my 4 JL 7.7's on my tower when I use the MHD-750/1 to drive them? Should I be concerned about the potentially limited bandwidth?
        That all depends on whether or not you purchased from an authorized dealer in the know. You need the fullrange version.

David
        Earmark Marine
        Earmark Marine
        www.earmarkmarine.com

Comment

So what you are saying is I need an older one that was full range?

Comment

Seems like bad news for using them as tower amps in the future?

Comment

David - I contacted JL Tech support and they say they cannot identify by serial number so how are you guys doing that?

Comment

If you bought the speakers from an unauthorized dealer then they likely modified the serial number in order to conceal their source. In that case there is no warranty and no support.

David
                Earmark Marine
                www.earmarkmarine.com

Comment

Bought from dealer but no one seems to know how to identify the 2 different amps.

Comment

David - do you have the serial number information? Can you please pass along any information you have. The Tech support people at JL say they will get back to me, but if you have the information handy it would be appreciated.

Comment

David - do you have the serial number information? Can you please pass along any information you have. The Tech support people at JL say they will get back to me, but if you have the information handy it would be appreciated.
                      Sorry, I don't have the cut-off s/n information. Our product manager initially labeled every HD & MHD 750/1 according to whether it is fullrange or strictly for lowpass applications. So in our case there are no mistakes.
                      Earmark Marine
                      www.earmarkmarine.com

Comment

So how was he able to tell which was which?

Comment

So how was he able to tell which was which?
                          By the s/n obviously. Then after that we can assume that any subsequent shipments are the limited bandwidth version. But I don't have that information in my possession at this point well after the fact.

Many manufacturers use different sequences for different distribution channels such a OEM versus aftermarket and domestic versus out-of-the country. So again, this is a JL Audio question.

I've answered your questions with what I know and sent you on the right path. If you have a legit s/n with a purchase from an authorized dealer then JL Audio will be able to get you an answer.

David
                          Earmark Marine
                          www.earmarkmarine.com

Comment

WOW. That sounded a little snippy.
                            "In conflict, straightforward actions generally lead to engagement, surprising actions generally lead to victory."

Six in, Six out.

2007 MasterCraft X-1, CHARCOAL Black

Comment

Hopefully JL can answer the question.

Comment

Working...
                              X