83 S&S Stereo Install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 83 S&S Stereo Install

Hey guys, just wanted to post some pictures of one of my winter projects on the boat. It used to have a 20 year old cassette player with 2 (TWO!) 4 inch speakers. So I picked up a head unit, speakers, and the housing all on ebay. I have all the wires run, and the stereo mounted. I just have to install the speaker box and speakers, and hook up all the wires. Here's my progress so far.
    Attached Files
    You don't have to buy a lake to own it~MasterCraft

What's the plan with the head unit? Is it behind the observer seat?

Tapatalk
    1990 prostar 190, 351, powerslot 1.5:1, tinted windows

Comment

You'll like those db series Polks.
      Mike B

Comment

Originally posted by clrussell View Post
        What's the plan with the head unit? Is it behind the observer seat?

Tapatalk
        Likely yes. The 83 model seat back raises almost all the way up since it is on a hinge and not supported with any suppression struts. An easy access for all practical purposes, especially with a wired remote (if he has one). I like it since he is not cutting or jury-rigging anything to change the original hull.

Nice looking install on the stereo.

93 190
        Don't be a boot licker

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

sigpic

..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
        NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Comment

You know they make thinner subwoofers that would fit right between those speakers on the sides but not stick out.. All you would have to do is build a box and you would be able to conceal some of those wires you were talking about.

Comment

I don't have a wired remote... it came with a wireless remote though, I'm hoping it will still work with the observer seat in place. If it does work, i might keep the remote attached to a retractable tether located near the back of the boat. Acting as a cheap mans transom remote
            Here some extra pictures. I wanted to mount the stereo in this location because I'm a big fan of the "clean and classy" look, so i wanted it out of view. I reinforced plastic tray with some sheet aluminum. I also opted to use steel L brackets (slightly modified) to mount the housing because the plastic ones that came with it would have left it hanging too low for my liking. I also wanted it as tucked up there as far as possible to keep it from getting hit by ski gear.
            Attached Files

Comment

Ski*MC, you have answered a question for me with this post. I have been wondering where in my 83 the head unit would be best installed. Thank you for posting. Now I can continue to slowly upgrade and ultimately have a really nice, stock-appearing S+S.
              Bob

Comment

Those polks are great, get them around 75-125 rms each speaker and they will boom.

Comment

Originally posted by SSMoose View Post
                  Ski*MC, you have answered a question for me with this post. I have been wondering where in my 83 the head unit would be best installed. Thank you for posting. Now I can continue to slowly upgrade and ultimately have a really nice, stock-appearing S+S.
                  Glad I could help! If you need any more pictures or information on how i did this, just let me know!

Originally posted by shocker47 View Post
                  Those polks are great, get them around 75-125 rms each speaker and they will boom.
                  I wouldn't mind running some more power to the speakers, but for right now i'll only have 52 (max) watts per speaker. Maybe next winters project... I've heard good things about these speakers so im hoping I made the right choice. $130 for 4 brand new speakers seemed like a pretty good deal to me!

Comment

Originally posted by SKI*MC View Post
                    Glad I could help! If you need any more pictures or information on how i did this, just let me know!

I wouldn't mind running some more power to the speakers, but for right now i'll only have 52 (max) watts per speaker. Maybe next winters project... I've heard good things about these speakers so im hoping I made the right choice. $130 for 4 brand new speakers seemed like a pretty good deal to me!
                    Once that boat is under power, you're going to want more power to the speakers. That 52W drops drastically when you talk about cotinuous power (RMS). Those speakers will be receiving no more than 20W RMS. I have 45W RMS to my speakers in my 83, and at speed I have to crank it pretty loud to hear my tunes. Just FYI, you might consider doing it all at one time.

Forgot to mention that I have those same speakers in mine.
                    Last edited by mzimme; 04-17-2013, 10:07 AM.
                    -Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mzimme View Post
                      Once that boat is under power, you're going to want more power to the speakers. That 52W drops drastically when you talk about cotinuous power (RMS). Those speakers will be receiving no more than 20W RMS. I have 45W RMS to my speakers in my 83, and at speed I have to crank it pretty loud to hear my tunes. Just FYI, you might consider doing it all at one time.

Forgot to mention that I have those same speakers in mine.
                      What type amp are you running? Watts? Ohms?

Comment

Got all the speaker boxes mounted today. Just gotta drop the speakers in!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SKI*MC View Post
                          What type amp are you running? Watts? Ohms?
                          It's an Alpine Flex5. An old 5 channel car amp I had back in the day laying around, and it works great for this setup. Gives me decent power to all the speakers, it's efficient, and still runs a sub without needing a second amp. I dont remember the ohms, but I assume it's 45Wx4 RMS @4 ohms plus 100W RMS x1 for the sub @ 2 ohms. It has plenty of power for the setup I have in there.

Here's where I put the sub/amp. The head unit is down there too out of my way. For reference, the triangle thing between the amp and the white head unit enclose is my foot rest under the helm. It doesn't eat up too much storage space.

Here's the dash. You can see where I put the head unit under there and also a couple tweeters on the dash.

-Mike

Comment

Are you running this off the 1 battery or did you install another? Also did you upgrade your alternator?

Comment

Originally posted by roush611 View Post
                              Are you running this off the 1 battery or did you install another? Also did you upgrade your alternator?
                              You referring to me? If so, no I didn't upgrade the alternator. I do run dual batt's... I keep one for all the stock equipment, then put a Optima Blue top in for just the stereo. I pull the blue top out after the weekend, bring it home, put it on the charger, and put it back in on my next outing. I don't have them both hooked to the alternator.
                              -Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X