Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cracked Ballast Tank - Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cracked Ballast Tank - Help

    I just recently found a small crack on the top seam of my port ballast tank. 06, X-Star. I always drain them over the winter, I just believe the pressure from them filling into the secondary tanks may have caused the crack. Has anyone ever had to patch the plastic tanks? And if so, how have you done it?

    Thanks

  • #2
    I have the same issue with my center tank on an X15, tried JB weld, it held for a little while but then blew off. Trying to figure what is my next plan of attack.

    Comment


    • #3
      Plastic weld would probably be the best solution. It would ensure no leaks and is fairly strong when done correctly.

      Comment


      • #4
        Probably need to use a plastic welder. You can buy a gun and welding rods at harbor freight cheap but you may want to consider having a body shop weld it as it is somewhat tricky.

        Comment


        • #5
          We've been cleaning and scuffing the area up and then coating with 3m 5200. So far its worked just fine.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Rossterman View Post
            Probably need to use a plastic welder. You can buy a gun and welding rods at harbor freight cheap ...
            I purchased the a Urethane Supply model 5600HT from Amazon for $150 and have found it to be a great tool for these kind of fixes. I haven't done a ballast tank yet, but I've fixed a radiator overflow tank, a fairing on a moped, and an inner fender liner on my car. I've found a lot of uses for it and it has already paid for itself.

            Comment


            • #7
              This might be a good reason/chance for you to really improve your wake and bypass those rear tanks. I did this years ago, now I have (2) 720 lb. FlyHi X-star sacs plumbed in place of the rear tanks. They fill/empty automatically just like the hard tanks did and you will have over 1400 lbs. where it's needed most.....at the rear corners of the boat. Fill the KGB and add a 750 sac to the walkway and your wake will be awesome! (You can always just fill the rear sacs 1/2 way or less if desired)

              The 720 in the port locker helps a lot with surfing too.

              Regarding fixing yours, plastic weld should work the best. MAC TOOL and SNAP-ON both sell plastic welders if you want to try that.
              I was njskier on here.

              Comment


              • #8
                Just pulled the floor board up on my 07 Star and have the same problem.. The port tank is leaking just up from the tank sending unit along that round hole seam... Finding a polyethylene welder is becoming difficult... I run an 1100 in the rear locker and it fills and drains thru the stock port tank vent nipple.. It's been flawless for 3 years..

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks to everyone for the responses. I was able to take it to a body shop who plastic welded it. Seems to be working so far. If anyone needs a walkthrough as to how to remove the port side hard tank on a 03'-10' X-Star, let me know. It was not fun, and im sure whoever is up for the challenge could use some direction.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    A good plastic weld will be stronger than the surrounding plastic. I have welded many ATV fenders/body bits. They are amazingly strong.
                    onewheat

                    2013 X-25

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by onewheat View Post
                      A good plastic weld will be stronger than the surrounding plastic. I have welded many ATV fenders/body bits. They are amazingly strong.
                      Someday over cocktail you are going to have to explain to me how this is done!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by TKWakeboarder View Post
                        Thanks to everyone for the responses. I was able to take it to a body shop who plastic welded it. Seems to be working so far. If anyone needs a walkthrough as to how to remove the port side hard tank on a 03'-10' X-Star, let me know. It was not fun, and im sure whoever is up for the challenge could use some direction.
                        I need to remove the starboard side hard ballast tank on an 04 Xstar...do you have to lift the fiberglass deck off the hull by removing the rub rail and all the other stuff??

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by 04xstarbucky View Post
                          I need to remove the starboard side hard ballast tank on an 04 Xstar...do you have to lift the fiberglass deck off the hull by removing the rub rail and all the other stuff??
                          and then some

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by snork View Post
                            and then some
                            How much to have a marine shop do it you think? 20 hours or so?

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X