Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

x80 problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • x80 problems

    when i sack out my x80. adding about 4000lbs in the rear and about 1500 in the front. causes the boat to track sideways BAD. its a twin engine and ive messed with the throttles giving more gas to one and less to the other. also messed with the trim tabs. nothing will straighten it out. has any one added tracking fins to their boat before. thinking that might fix it.... also checked the props they are new and have the same casting numbers on them. also even when the boat isnt slammed it still seems to have a slight drift to it when going 35mph plus but i can usually fix it with slowing down one throttle or adding a little to the other.... and ideas. thanks robby

  • #2
    does it always track the same direction? Do you feel a pulling in the steering wheel?
    Guns don't kill people, I kill people

    Comment


    • #3
      havent noticed it pulling the wheel. if i didnt know better i would think that i have 2 way different prop sizes on it

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by elliott View Post
        when i sack out my x80. adding about 4000lbs in the rear and about 1500 in the front. causes the boat to track sideways BAD. its a twin engine and ive messed with the throttles giving more gas to one and less to the other. also messed with the trim tabs. nothing will straighten it out. has any one added tracking fins to their boat before. thinking that might fix it.... also checked the props they are new and have the same casting numbers on them. also even when the boat isnt slammed it still seems to have a slight drift to it when going 35mph plus but i can usually fix it with slowing down one throttle or adding a little to the other.... and ideas. thanks robby
        What is the weight capacity of this boat? You have a shyteload of weight in the rear and a lot less in front- ever seen how well a stern-drive goes straight when the trim is too high? You're doing the same thing- it's not designed to have that much of a weight imbalance.

        Did you check the props for bent blades and check for pitch? You have a tach for each engine?

        Comment


        • #5
          i dont know if it has a weight cap. its yacht certified. at least ive never seen one. i know it doestnt have a people cap. the props are brand new. nothing bent. but they are still the brass ones. wondering if i should have went with stainless ones. yea i have a tach for each motor and if the shifters are side by side the rpms are with in 200 of each other.


          i wouldnt think the boat should skate or slide sideways across the water at 22mph with that much weight.

          Comment


          • #6
            X80's are yacht certified (no real weight restriction). I assume the boat tracks straight when not loaded? If so, definatly has to do with an unballanced load. Perhaps you can fill them slowly to see at what point the boat starts to crab.
            Current: 2009 X-Star, Indmar 6L, 400hp, ZFT3 tower. c/w 1/9 scale R/C PWT X-Star

            Owned:
            2012 X25
            2011 X25
            2009 Moomba LSV
            2009 Moomba Outback V
            2008 Monterey FS180
            Pelican 4 set paddle boat
            plastic tug boat when I was 4

            Comment


            • #7
              it craps a little at higher speeds when there is 0 ballast in the boat. starts doing it around 30mph but is way worse when its slammed

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by elliott View Post
                i dont know if it has a weight cap. its yacht certified. at least ive never seen one. i know it doestnt have a people cap. the props are brand new. nothing bent. but they are still the brass ones. wondering if i should have went with stainless ones. yea i have a tach for each motor and if the shifters are side by side the rpms are with in 200 of each other.


                i wouldnt think the boat should skate or slide sideways across the water at 22mph with that much weight.
                There's no such thing as a watercraft that DOESN'T have a weight rating. There's always a limit to the safe weight that's in a boat and if you go too far over, the hull can fail. At speed, the forces from 5500 lb of water is probably well over the limit. The spec sheet showed 1000 lb as the standard amount of ballast. You're more than two tons over that and you didn't even say how much weight from passengers/gear you carry.

                The difference from stainless is found during hard acceleration and turns- stainless doesn't flex as much but at low speeds, I would bet that your problem is because the keel line isn't fully in the water- that helps keep the boat on track. Adding tracking fins won't help low speed operation- those are made for keeling it online when the skier is pulling hard to the side by using the force from the water to counteract the torque.

                If you have more weight on one side, it won't/can't go straight unless the hull was designed with that in mind.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by elliott View Post
                  it craps a little at higher speeds when there is 0 ballast in the boat. starts doing it around 30mph but is way worse when its slammed
                  Care to define "craps out"? Have you talked to the dealer about this? If you have an iPhone ot iPod Touch, you could use the app that lets you check the level of the floor at rest (or find a surface that's parallel, but higher) and compare the attitude when it starts to become unstable.
                  Last edited by JimN; 11-15-2012, 11:41 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If the boat specifiations do not give a maximum load/occupancy and only states "Yacht Certified" I courious what that means in terms of real weight. This certification can be grossly misinterpreted.
                    Current: 2009 X-Star, Indmar 6L, 400hp, ZFT3 tower. c/w 1/9 scale R/C PWT X-Star

                    Owned:
                    2012 X25
                    2011 X25
                    2009 Moomba LSV
                    2009 Moomba Outback V
                    2008 Monterey FS180
                    Pelican 4 set paddle boat
                    plastic tug boat when I was 4

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by JimN View Post
                      Care to define "craps out"? Have you talked to the dealer about this?
                      I think he means "Crabs out".
                      Current: 2009 X-Star, Indmar 6L, 400hp, ZFT3 tower. c/w 1/9 scale R/C PWT X-Star

                      Owned:
                      2012 X25
                      2011 X25
                      2009 Moomba LSV
                      2009 Moomba Outback V
                      2008 Monterey FS180
                      Pelican 4 set paddle boat
                      plastic tug boat when I was 4

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by bjames View Post
                        X80's are yacht certified (no real weight restriction). I assume the boat tracks straight when not loaded? If so, definatly has to do with an unballanced load. Perhaps you can fill them slowly to see at what point the boat starts to crab.
                        You'd think they have a limit, so it won't be overloaded to the point that it swamps or becomes unsafe at any speed. Obviously, wave action determines this but 5500 lb is a lot of weight for a boat of this size- if it was a deep V, it would be different.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          i ment to say crabs

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            http://www.mastercraft.com/boats/overview/x80

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by bjames View Post
                              If the boat specifiations do not give a maximum load/occupancy and only states "Yacht Certified" I courious what that means in terms of real weight. This certification can be grossly misinterpreted.
                              Kind of like "all you can eat' restaurants.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X