Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel Pump Wiring Harness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fuel Pump Wiring Harness

    The electrical connection between the yellow socket and 3 wire black plug tends to jiggle loose and cause the engine to die. I currently use my daughters hair tie to keep the parts together. However, the connection is still not the best and needs to be re-plugged every now & then. My question is: Where can I buy a new 3 wire black connector? or is it possible to bend the internal sockets in the black plug to get a better connection? Any info is appreciated.Name:  0260b42e541251adbdefe9e51beceeb1.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  63.6 KB

  • #2
    I have exactly the same problem with my boat. I tried using tie wraps, wire, elastics and tape trying to get it to hold in place but it would still cut out atleast once every time we took the boat out. I found that it wasn't the connector not being pushed in far enough, it was the actual pins inside the connector. I pulled it apart and bent things to make better contact and its been good so far. It hasn't happened in the last 15 hours i put on the boat so i think i have the issue solved. Once i park the boat for the winter i'm going to pull out the connector and find a replacement just to make sure the problem doesnt happen again.

    Comment


    • #3
      Mine is doing the same thing as well. Drives me crazy.
      Sattelye Wakeskates
      Inland Surfer Wakesurf Boards
      Spy Sunglasses
      Jet Pilot

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Retoxtony View Post
        I have exactly the same problem with my boat. I tried using tie wraps, wire, elastics and tape trying to get it to hold in place but it would still cut out atleast once every time we took the boat out. I found that it wasn't the connector not being pushed in far enough, it was the actual pins inside the connector. I pulled it apart and bent things to make better contact and its been good so far. It hasn't happened in the last 15 hours i put on the boat so i think i have the issue solved. Once i park the boat for the winter i'm going to pull out the connector and find a replacement just to make sure the problem doesnt happen again.
        To confirm, did you bend things inside the black connector? I'm thinking that would be easiest.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BallBushing View Post
          To confirm, did you bend things inside the black connector? I'm thinking that would be easiest.

          Ya i pushed the sockets out of the black connector and then i adjusted them so they grip the pins inside the yellow end on the fuel pump a little tighter. I adjusted all three wires but i know it was just the green wire that was giving me trouble. Its working for now, but i really should just replace the connector, as i think it'll loosen up again over time.

          Its funny, the previous owner must have had this problem as well and misdiagnosed it. The boat has a brand new fuel pump, and all the wiring to the pump is new except he reused the last 6 inches of the harness and the old connector.

          Comment


          • #6
            Find a schematic for the pump- I'm not sure the green wire has anything to do with how/if the pump will work.

            Is it just the way the photo looks, or is the yellow plastic broken off or worn, where the black retainer clip slides over? It looks like it may allow the black housing to slide backward.

            How many times has the harness been removed from the pump?

            That should be a Packard connector. The only thing that could be considered a problem is that the terminals (the metal clips) will need to be installed using the proper crimper if you only replace them or the black plastic part. Del City may have them. If you buy a repair harness, use Heat N Seal splices with low temperature solder, not just regular butt connectors.

            Comment


            • #7
              The yellow connector is new. I also misdiagnosed the problem and bought a new fuel assembly. (could not find an exact replacement for the fuel pump itself). The problem is with the black retainer clip. it's bent backwards and will not hold onto the yellow part.

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm gonna give this a bump to see if anyone has a wiring diagram for this. Prob be useful in the future and i'd like to know for sure what each wire does.

                Comment


                • #9
                  any insight on how to get the terminals out of the connector?

                  I have the exact same issue on my '01 209. Only took me a year to figure out and to fix temporarily but annoying as all get for the skier that is waiting on the platform.
                  Last edited by CCAnderson; 07-23-2012, 08:20 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by CCAnderson View Post
                    any insight on how to get the terminals out of the connector?

                    I have the exact same issue on my '01 209. Only took me a year to figure out and to fix temporarily buy annoying as all get for the skier that is waiting on the platform.
                    They need special tools. Not that something can't be improvised, but it risks damaging the terminal or retainer. If you have a T pin or something heavier than a stick pin, you should be able to close the female terminal enough to make better contact. If the retainer is damaged, this won't matter- it should be replaced. These are probably Packard connectors.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Retoxtony View Post
                      I'm gonna give this a bump to see if anyone has a wiring diagram for this. Prob be useful in the future and i'd like to know for sure what each wire does.
                      There are only three wires- the green is a ground, to keep static from being a problem, the black is the signal ground and the other is HOT.

                      Just in case it's necessary to comment- never connect a harness when the fumes from the tank are present and if the person working on the boat is wearing long pants (if the humidity is extremely low, it doesn't matter), discharge any static electricity before touching the wires to the MDC box that controls the gauges or if the fumes are present.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        found the terminal release tool at

                        http://www.pcsconnectors.com/12094430.aspx

                        these are not the more common weather pack connections it looks like a person should be able to use a thin piece of steel to release the tang and take out the terminals for cleaning and "adjustment"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          New harness is 25 bucks at the dealer

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by CCAnderson View Post
                            found the terminal release tool at

                            http://www.pcsconnectors.com/12094430.aspx

                            these are not the more common weather pack connections it looks like a person should be able to use a thin piece of steel to release the tang and take out the terminals for cleaning and "adjustment"
                            That's a terminal release tool- they have several. I don't remember, but the terminals may be "pull to seat", rather than "push to seat". Each uses a different tool.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by JimN View Post
                              There are only three wires- the green is a ground, to keep static from being a problem, the black is the signal ground and the other is HOT.

                              Just in case it's necessary to comment- never connect a harness when the fumes from the tank are present and if the person working on the boat is wearing long pants (if the humidity is extremely low, it doesn't matter), discharge any static electricity before touching the wires to the MDC box that controls the gauges or if the fumes are present.

                              Thanks, when i was messing with the connector it seemed to me that the green wire was the one causing the problem, but i must have been wrong. I'm really hoping that i've got it fixed for now, its not a huge problem but it sure can get annoying.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X