Disconnecting/reconnecting battery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disconnecting/reconnecting battery

Quick question for you guys, last week I was hooking up my battery and I noticed the place who winterized it only disconnected the black cable from the battery... What do you guys do when you disconnect your battery for long periods of non-use?
    "Slingshot, engage"

Originally posted by 96prostar190 View Post
    Quick question for you guys, last week I was hooking up my battery and I noticed the place who winterized it only disconnected the black cable from the battery... What do you guys do when you disconnect your battery for long periods of non-use?
    I do not disconnect for storage. I use a Battery Tender. One of the best gadgets in my garage.

93 190
    Don't be a boot licker

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

sigpic

..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
    NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Comment

Originally posted by Cloaked View Post
      I do not disconnect for storage. I use a Battery Tender. One of the best gadgets in my garage.

Cool. Thanks for the reply. I have my boat in storage which unfortunately doesn't have an electrical outlet. Lame, I know.
      "Slingshot, engage"

Comment

Personally, if I was going to remove only one cable it would be the red or positive, but it really makes no difference, as long as the circuit is broken. I remove my battery and leave it in the basement over the winter, but it gets extremely cold here and I'd rather not have it freeze.

Comment

Originally posted by ricford View Post
          Personally, if I was going to remove only one cable it would be the red or positive, but it really makes no difference, as long as the circuit is broken. I remove my battery and leave it in the basement over the winter, but it gets extremely cold here and I'd rather not have it freeze.
          I guess that's why I was caught a little off guard... I would have thought it would be the red one too. Oh well.
          "Slingshot, engage"

Comment

I usually only yank one cable. I am not sure which post is the easiest to get to... i think it is the positive. Either way, as long as the circuit is broken, the battery is not going to power anything wirelessly.
            -Cameron
            2007 ProStar 197
            1996 ProStar 190

Comment

Originally posted by Sodar View Post
              I usually only yank one cable. I am not sure which post is the easiest to get to... i think it is the positive. Either way, as long as the circuit is broken, the battery is not going to power anything wirelessly.
              Great! Thanks for the help man!
              "Slingshot, engage"

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the reply. I have my boat in storage which unfortunately doesn't have an electrical outlet. Lame, I know.
                Then I would remove it from the boat, take it home and put it on a tender during the off season.
                I love to travel, but hate to arrive. ~~ A. Einstein
                -----
                You donít stop riding because youíre getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.
                -----
                Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a Ride! ~~ Hunter S. Thompson
                -----
                My wakeboard is calling, and I must go ride! ~~ Me

Comment

For some reason, most repair manuals start with 1) Disconnect negative battery cable.

I have no idea why the negative is done, but here is a purported reason:
                  http://7faq.com/owbase/ow.asp?GoodEn...tingTheBattery
                  '96 ProStar 205 SD LT-1

Comment

Supposedly if you disconnect the negative cable first and install last it will prevent arcing. That's how I was taught in automotive college, and I'd never paid any attention before. But I can say 75% of the ones I unhook negative first arc anyway

Tapatalk
                    1990 prostar 190, 351, powerslot 1.5:1, tinted windows

Comment

In a car, the chassis is the ground. If you decide to disconnect the positive first, and your wrench or ratchet touches the chassis while touching the positive terminal, it's just like connecting the two terminals of the battery together. You will see sparks at the least.

If you disconnect the negative cable first, which is already connected to the chassis, there is no risk.

It probably doesn't matter as much in a boat since the "chassis" that the ground cable connects to is the engine block and is usually pretty far away from the battery terminal.

Comment

Gotcha, well I guess it makes sense why they did it the way they did then! Thanks guys!
                        "Slingshot, engage"

Comment

Most places I know of that offer indoor storage require the batteries to be removed before coming in the building. This reduces the risk of fire (no battery = no electrical fires).

I was told to disconnect the negative lead to eliminate arcing and the chance of battery drain due to a possible ground differential. A corroded or poorly connected ground can create a circuit that will slowly drain a battery as one side will look more positive and thus create a voltage path or voltage leak. This is why it's important to tie all the grounds to a common point when wiring. When I installed my dual battery system one of the last checks I did was put a volt meter between the ground posts from the main ground terminal post and the remote ground bus in the dash to ensure they were at zero. Anything more than zero indicates a ground potential difference which can cause noise in the system as well as a drain on the battery. At least that's how it was explained/taught to me.

Comment

Thanks man!
                            "Slingshot, engage"

Comment

I have a battery cutoff switch. I turn it off when the boat is not in use, including longterm storage. I charge it up at winterization and put it on a charger on the lowest setting before recomissioning in the spring. It does not lose much charge over layup.
                              Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Comment

Working...
                              X