Battery's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery's

Have a 01 mastercraft 205v. Was wonder what battery's I would need or what to do with eletrical system for the upgraded stereo I put in.. I currently got 3 jl 300/4 slash amps and 1 500/1 ... Only have 2 battery's right now.. What do you recommend to do

What's the output of your alternator?
    sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Stereo

It's the stock one ...

Comment

I have 2 optima yellow tops. One for the boat and one dedicated to the stereo. It's a large stereo and I haven't had any issues listening to the radio for hours.

Comment

Originally posted by payne04 View Post
          Have a 01 mastercraft 205v. Was wonder what battery's I would need or what to do with eletrical system for the upgraded stereo I put in.. I currently got 3 jl 300/4 slash amps and 1 500/1 ... Only have 2 battery's right now.. What do you recommend to do
          Are they isolated by a dual-bank battery switch? Do you regularly spend time playing the system while at anchor? The length of time this is done, is going to drive your battery selection, mainly on the "house" side of the switch. For a primary cranking battery, you cant go wrong with a plan old group-24 lead acid marine cranking battery.

For a dedicated house battery, you need to decide what your needs are going to be in terms or amp hours.

Comment

Do not sit and play at all... I have to 2 battery's and they are in switch it has 2 0r 1 or all... Not real sure how to set the battery's up like you guys are talking..(house and cranking battery)

Comment

I actually was just curious about this subject. I have a 02 X-Star that will have a Syn4, Syn2, and 500 watt polk amp this next year. I currenty have 2 batteries hooked up to a perko switch so I save one for starting the boat and the other to run my audio at the sand bar. Should I upgrade to 3 batteries for this next summer? I ran 2 last summer with two Syn 4s, but now I will have the Syn4, Syn2, and polk 500 watt amp. My alternator is stock and I spend a decent amount of time at the sand bar.

Comment

Do not sit and play at all... I have to 2 battery's and they are in switch it has 2 0r 1 or all... Not real sure how to set the battery's up like you guys are talking..(house and cranking battery)
                If your switch is wired optimal, then its already set up that way. It would be up to you as the operator to designate which one is house and which one is primary cranking.

Based on the above info, I would go with 2 group-24 dual-purpose marine batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by rydog View Post
                  I actually was just curious about this subject. I have a 02 X-Star that will have a Syn4, Syn2, and 500 watt polk amp this next year. I currenty have 2 batteries hooked up to a perko switch so I save one for starting the boat and the other to run my audio at the sand bar. Should I upgrade to 3 batteries for this next summer? I ran 2 last summer with two Syn 4s, but now I will have the Syn4, Syn2, and polk 500 watt amp. My alternator is stock and I spend a decent amount of time at the sand bar.
                  Theres no yes or no answer. The need for more battery amp hours is dependent on how long you want to play and how hard you want to play. But, its always best for the batteries to have more batteries that are cycled shallower, then less batteries that are cycled deeper. If you regularly hang out at the party spot, then adding a 2nd house battery (more Ah's) could be a benefit. Then it may be time to think about some shore charging for that house bank and not rely on the alternator to recharge.

Comment

Would adding a third battery be too taxing on the stock alternator? Also if the 1 battery would last for a couple hours that would be fine because then I run the boat a little to charge. Would 1 battery solely used for audio last that long with my set up, estimated of course.

Comment

Would adding a third battery be too taxing on the stock alternator? Also if the 1 battery would last for a couple hours that would be fine because then I run the boat a little to charge. Would 1 battery solely used for audio last that long with my set up, estimated of course.
                      More battery Ah, in the form of either a larger battery or multiple batteries, will be additional load on the alternator, I wouldnt worry about it taxing the alternator. Alternators make for poor battery chargers, so they can struggle to recharge even a single dead battery. So the more battery Ah's you have and the deeper you run that battery bank down, will make you more dependent on some sort of shore charging.

Adding a 2nd house battery would basically double the play time. At the same time, it would meet your current play time goals while only running the bank down half of what it was with only a single battery. This is better for the batteries.

As long as the primary cranking is isolated from the house battery, no need to run engine while anchored, unless the house bank runs down to a point that the system starts to shut down. If you do this on a regular basis, then is time to consider more batteries so you dont need to run the engine (think CO fumes) and the system keeps going without interruption.

Comment

Okay that makes sense. Now I would run the system until it dies and still have my starting battery but when I run the audio battery my boat eventually alarms out (because of the lowering voltage?) so I have to turn the boat on and charge. So I can't run my battery dead because the alarm will go off and I have to charge.

Comment

With your setup and the fact that you don't spend the day in party cove, any decent pair of combo deep cycle/start batteries will work just fine.
                          If your setup works fine then I wouldn't worry about it and I'd leave the Perko switch pulling/ charging both batteries.
                          To run one dedicated for house one for start, isolate those loads to each battery directly preferably with some distribution blocks. At this point, the + to the starter will charge only the battery it's hooked to. Then link the 2 batteries with an ACR auto charging relay and the alt will charge both with the engine running but isolate them once the voltage supply drops below charging volts, 14+V.
                          This setup has worked well for me and its totally hands off. No switching required.
                          I installed a shore power charger as well though just to keep the batteries fully charged and maintained but it worked fine without it the first year.
                          '06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Comment

Okay that makes sense. Now I would run the system until it dies and still have my starting battery but when I run the audio battery my boat eventually alarms out (because of the lowering voltage?) so I have to turn the boat on and charge. So I can't run my battery dead because the alarm will go off and I have to charge.
                            Yes, you need to add a second battery or more.
                            As MLA writes, deeply discharging a battery significantly reduces battery life so having more batteries that are depleted less will be cheaper in the long run. (assuming you properly maintain the batteries with a full charge from shore power at the end of the day)

If you are idling the boat just to play the stereo, this IS hard on the alternator since the alt is only putting out maybe half its rated amperage. Low output on top of a heavy draw from a depleted battery AND stereo draw is a recipe for alternator replacement.
                            Fuel cost idling a boat just to run the stereo will quickly mount to more than additional batteries.
                            Finally the safety factors of carbon monoxide poisoning or some drunk stumbling onto the throttle or jumping into the drivers seat should be considered.
                            (I have seen ALL of the above happen in the Cove)
                            1991 MariStar 240sc, 454, tower, WetSounds, Krypt and Rockford Fosgate

Comment

What's the most common shore charging set up people use on here?

Comment

Working...
                              X