Stars and Stripes build, 1st post

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stars and Stripes build, 1st post

Hi all, I'll go ahead and say thanks for all the help already. I've been stealing help from past posts the second I bought my boat. I recently purchased a 1984 Stars and Stripes, but have found issues every single time I've taken it out. So far I have gotten a new battery, new alternator, new impeller, new hoses, blower hoses, and a new blower. Got a great steal on this boat (i think..). Any help with what parts are likely to fail would be a great help. The guy I bought it from was a good welder, but I'm starting to think he was poor with boats. The impeller had basically exploded and the exhaust hoses had holes the size of baseballs in them... Would a K&N be better than my stock flame arrestor? And does anybody know if there are premade skins for these boats?
    Attached Files

I also have the original paper work from when this boat was bought from the factory, I don't know if these things are common or not
    Attached Files

Comment

Mastercraftskins.com should have patterns to get you new skins. The fabric that came in it is dead and gone, so you have to do it all if you want it to match. From the corrosion in the pics I'd change out the coil and distributer plugs and wires. If you're an electronic ignition guy now would be a good time.
      I spent most of my money on booze, broads and boats. The rest I wasted. - Elmore Leonard

Comment

Looks like a great project boat, keep us updated and from Oregon.....
        MISS "B" HAVEN
        2007 X2, Indmar 350 MCX
        OJ 522 14.75 x 15.5
        2006 F150 SCrew Puller
        http://www.crowniehq.net
        http://banners.wunderground.com/weat.../OR/Albany.gif

Comment

Welcome to Team Talk and the Mastercraft family. Looks like you have a great boat that needs a little TLC and some updating. From a mechanical viewpoint, you need to change out the automotive carb to a Marine carb. A marine Holley 4160 is the proper carb to have on there. I just bought a used 4160 in need of rebuilding from a TT member and rebuilt it for my boat. madcityskier was right on with a full tune-up. I also just added a Pertronix electronic ignition and updated coil.

Good luck with your work, and don't hesitate to ask any questions.......Lord knows you will have plenty of them.

Have the good guys at SKIDIM send you a catalog. This will become an invaluable resource, as well as a great source for parts and information. Also head on down to your local Mastercraft Dealer (if there is one nearby) and introduce yourself. If you go, bring your boat....everyone wants to check out a Stars & Stripes. Even a work in progress.

http://www.skidim.com/
          - Peter
          TANDEM AXLE PACKAGE - $950 DELIVERED WHEEL IMAGE
          5 14X5.5 T06 WHEELS W/5 ST215/75R14 KENDA LOADSTAR RADIALS SS CENTER CAPS, LUGS, MOUNTED, BALANCED & READY TO INSTALL

PM or email me for tire, wheel or package pricing.
          CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
          LED lights, Chrome & Powder Coated Lugs
          2 LED 6" BRAKE LIGHTS DELIVERED $25

tiresplease@gmail.com

Comment

Don't want to hijack the thread - this is related. Looking into going Elec Ignition - anything special to know when ordering the parts/kit(say, the Pertonix for instance)? What should I expect to spend OR just name a good source? Skidim?
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MasterKraftS&S View Post
              Don't want to hijack the thread - this is related. Looking into going Elec Ignition - anything special to know when ordering the parts/kit(say, the Pertonix for instance)? What should I expect to spend OR just name a good source? Skidim?
              If you go to the Pertronix website, you can enter your distributor number and they will give you the correct part number for your application. I bought my Pertronix Ignitor II and Flamethrower coil from Advance Auto. They have some killer pricing and a free shipping offer. Check Amazon for pricing too. Very simple installation and great results.

http://www.pertronix.com/
              http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ervlet/home___
              - Peter
              5 14X5.5 T06 WHEELS W/5 ST215/75R14 KENDA LOADSTAR RADIALS SS CENTER CAPS, LUGS, MOUNTED, BALANCED & READY TO INSTALL

tiresplease@gmail.com

Comment

I love the look of the brown S&S's. Wish it was big enough for my village.

Comment

Originally posted by AFX-30 View Post
                  I love the look of the brown S&S's. Wish it was big enough for my village.
                  The OTHER boat is a 27' Rendevous(BAYLINER) seats 16 for when we're done skiing! We might have 7 skiers in the AM it's gonna be TIGHT! The Boarders don't mind - Extra Ballasts!

Comment

Yea the wife and I have 7 kids so trying to put them in that enclosed space would not work. U have the boat I want when the wife and we retire.

Comment

What are the advantages of electronic ignition? Also, I haven't been able to identify what carb i currently have but how was it obvious that i had an automotive and not a marine carb? I get the parts in on wednesday, interior will have to wait.. I'd like to take this boat out once before the lake dries up. Seems obvious but can I use an automotive fuel filter? O'Reilly's is down the street, West Marine is more than a skip and hop. I'll also go ahead and say y'all successfully talked me out of a tower after looking at one post on here. I guess it would be like putting a 3 foot spoiler on a 67 mustang.. Stripper pole it is, then.

Comment

Re: All things MC - The FAQ on the Gen Disc page is great

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ead.php?t=5427

Auto parts:

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/show...1&postcount=33
                        1991 ProStar / 351W with 1:1 Velvet Drive

Comment

Congrats on the boat man, any questions search here or ask away there is a real soft spot for these boats here. You wont find a better resource.

JTR
                          1983 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes
                          Cream/Red Metal Flake
                          "Powerslot"
                          "The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
                          -Charles Chaplin-
                          sigpic

Comment

Lumbergh that link helped a lot, off to the parts store. Are any of y'all based in Austin?

Comment

Originally posted by oldschool View Post
                              What are the advantages of electronic ignition? Also, I haven't been able to identify what carb i currently have but how was it obvious that i had an automotive and not a marine carb? I get the parts in on wednesday, interior will have to wait.. I'd like to take this boat out once before the lake dries up. Seems obvious but can I use an automotive fuel filter? O'Reilly's is down the street, West Marine is more than a skip and hop. I'll also go ahead and say y'all successfully talked me out of a tower after looking at one post on here. I guess it would be like putting a 3 foot spoiler on a 67 mustang.. Stripper pole it is, then.
                              Electronic ignition operates on 2-3 time the voltage so the spark is much stronger. It also doesn't wear like points do.........and as they wear your dwell changes so there is an effect on start-up and running. Not that your boat isn't fully operational with points, it is just a great upgrade. I put upgrading mine off for two years as there were other boat items higher on the list.

The easiest way to tell a marine from an automotive Holley is the vent tubes on the marine version are "J" shaped to force any overflow fuel back into the carb, thereby not allowing it to run down the engine into the bilge and create an explosive situation. Marine versions don't have a functional fast idle attached to the automatic choke, as well as there are some other minor differences as well.

Glad you made the decision to go with the stripper pole. Your Mustang analogy was very accurate.

There are many parts on these boats that are simple automotive parts, or marine parts readily available. Some of the major marine only components are the carb, starter, distributor and alternator.

When I got my non-running project boat, I drew up a plan of attack where Phase 1 was to get the boat running properly and operational on the water. Phase 2 is mechanical upgrades with some cosmetic items (that's where I am now), and Phase 3 will almost exclusively cosmetic. This helped me plan costs and work (sort of) within my budget.
                              - Peter

tiresplease@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X