Don't hate me for asking 88 Prostar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't hate me for asking 88 Prostar

So i acquired a 88 prostar over the summer. Love it. Putting her away for the winter and have been reading about zinc in the oil for older motors. The PO mentioned to me that I should use an oil with an adequate amount of zinc for my boat. Can someone recommend a brand and weight that fits the bill?

Originally posted by Chrisoswald View Post
    So i acquired a 88 prostar over the summer. Love it. Putting her away for the winter and have been reading about zinc in the oil for older motors. The PO mentioned to me that I should use an oil with an adequate amount of zinc for my boat. Can someone recommend a brand and weight that fits the bill?
    Rotella 10w40
    What does the fox say?

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...

Comment

I am not sure Rotella still has a ZDDP additive. I have been using STP OIL Treatment with ZDDP

Comment

Valvoline vr1 20w50 1400 ppm

Anything north of 1000 ppm is adequate.
        Last edited by j.mccreight@hotmail.com; 10-26-2012, 06:39 PM.
        James

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
        sigpic

Comment

I use a standard oil of my choosing and put in a bottle of ZDDP additive. Or what ^^ said

Comment

Originally posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com View Post

What he said ^^ plus I am pro-synthetic (oil discussion? bring it...lol...not really)

Synthetics hold up better in high temps - shear strength and flow. So Valvoline Synthetic VR1 20w50. With an older engine the water jacket ain't what it used to be...so the temps in the cylinders "may" getting a little hotter - so the synthetic will give you a bit more protection... if it's over kill on the spend...it's cheap insurance...plus it's a really cool blue color.

I would stay away from any motor honey like STP - even if it has ZDDP. I do put in Hyperlube...it was designed to be used in C&C machines for lubrication. Third party tests show it ain't snake oil... Thanks 03geetee for that find.

ok... I'm done pontificating...about oil..
            sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

So if the oil has zinc weight % of 0.121 does that mean 1200 ppm?

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg205 View Post
                What he said ^^ plus I am pro-synthetic (oil discussion? bring it...lol...not really)

Synthetics hold up better in high temps - shear strength and flow. So Valvoline Synthetic VR1 20w50. With an older engine the water jacket ain't what it used to be...so the temps in the cylinders "may" getting a little hotter - so the synthetic will give you a bit more protection... if it's over kill on the spend...it's cheap insurance...plus it's a really cool blue color.

I would stay away from any motor honey like STP - even if it has ZDDP. I do put in Hyperlube...it was designed to be used in C&C machines for lubrication. Third party tests show it ain't snake oil... Thanks 03geetee for that find.

ok... I'm done pontificating...about oil..

He speaks the troooooof! I use this with Rotella 15w/40 and my dinosaur still roars.

JTR
                1983 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes
                Cream/Red Metal Flake
                "Powerslot"
                "The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
                -Charles Chaplin-
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisoswald View Post
                  So if the oil has zinc weight % of 0.121 does that mean 1200 ppm?
                  Short answer yes it does,
                  James

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 03geetee View Post

He speaks the troooooof! I use this with Rotella 15w/40 and my dinosaur still roars.

JTR
                    Thread jack.... we should get a few bottles for the promotion of the product...

now back to our thread...
                    sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

This, but I was under the impression that you wanted north of 1,200 ppm. Could just be past my bedtime.
                      Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Comment

For what it's worth, my flat tappet Ford gets Valvoline VR-1 20W50.
                        Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by east tx skier View Post
                          For what it's worth, my flat tappet Ford gets Valvoline VR-1 20W50.
                          Dino or Synth?

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg205 View Post
                            Dino or Synth?
                            Both conventional and synthetic have 1400 ppm as a 20w50 version, mine the syn VR1

Name:  7706ec8649d83499e711e38c5d715657.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  14.8 KB Name:  ad0514e07c1e12309f8a8e269ac037f7.jpg
Size:  12.4 KB

[QUOTE=east tx skier This, but I was under the impression that you wanted north of 1,200 ppm. Could just be past my bedtime.[/QUOTE]

1000ppm is adequate for stock engines, if camshaft is hotter than stock 1200ppm is necessary
                            James

sigpic

Comment

Both conventional and synthetic have 1400 ppm as a 20w50 version, mine the syn VR1

Name:  7706ec8649d83499e711e38c5d715657.jpg
Size:  14.8 KB Name:  ad0514e07c1e12309f8a8e269ac037f7.jpg
Size:  12.4 KB

1000ppm is adequate for stock engines, if camshaft is hotter than stock 1200ppm is necessary
                              Sorry was wondering if EastTx preferred the Dino or Synth...I am a converted synth guy now...after reading about the differences...just my choice...

Comment

Working...
                              X