Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on boat that has been sitting around

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question on boat that has been sitting around

    I have been looking for an 87-89 Prostar for a few weeks and finally found an 89. The interior and exterior are both in immaculate shape - almost too good of shape for a 24 year old boat. The motor has just under 500 hours, and the last registration sticker is from 2005. The guy selling it has never ran the boat, he traded a truck for it and is now looking to sell the boat since he has 2 others already. He claims the boat was previously owned by a boat mechanic and was ran (with no valid registration) for a couple of weeks at the end of the season.

    My question is - what should I check on the motor and tranny? I will do a test drive and a compression check. Is there anything else to look for with a boat that has been sitting for potentially 8 years? The motor and bilge were just as clean as the rest of the boat and there was no rust anywhere. I hate to pass up an oppurtunity at such a well preserved boat, but am afraid of what is in the motor with it sitting for so long. Thanks for the help.

  • #2
    Originally posted by half a can View Post
    I have been looking for an 87-89 Prostar for a few weeks and finally found an 89. The interior and exterior are both in immaculate shape - almost too good of shape for a 24 year old boat. The motor has just under 500 hours, and the last registration sticker is from 2005. The guy selling it has never ran the boat, he traded a truck for it and is now looking to sell the boat since he has 2 others already. He claims the boat was previously owned by a boat mechanic and was ran (with no valid registration) for a couple of weeks at the end of the season.

    My question is - what should I check on the motor and tranny? I will do a test drive and a compression check. Is there anything else to look for with a boat that has been sitting for potentially 8 years? The motor and bilge were just as clean as the rest of the boat and there was no rust anywhere. I hate to pass up an oppurtunity at such a well preserved boat, but am afraid of what is in the motor with it sitting for so long. Thanks for the help.
    Depending on geographical location of the boat; leaks from cracks in the engine block or heads from poor or no winterization. Salt water use from a coastal state or coastal proximity. Salt or brackish water is not my preference of legacy use. Worse case with this deal is that you drop in a new or rebuilt engine.
    Look at the engine oil (on the stick) for water in the oil (crack somewhere). Look at the transmission fluid in the same way.
    Magnet to check for JB Weld repairs (typically from crack repair from poor winterization). Magnet doesn't stick? Something else is there. I usually check each head for this type fake repair.
    Carb performance, starting of ease or not when engine is hot. Gasket leaks. Don't pay a ton of money for a great deal. You can sink another $5K into a boat easily enough on top of the 'great deal' price if it's trashed out. All sunken costs too.

    Slipping or clunky transmission performance. Smell the fluid for a burnt smell or water contamination.

    On and on and on...

    next!

    .
    93 190
    .
    Don't be a boot licker
    .

    Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

    sigpic

    ..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

    RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
    NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

    feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

    .

    Comment


    • #3
      The first thing I would do is pull the plugs and advance the engine by hand with a wrench on the crank. A stuck or nearly stuck piston could have catastrophic results even with a starter motor. If you have or can get a scope, inspect the cylinders through the plug holes for rust. All can look great from the outside but bad on the inside. Not a deal breaker if fixed.

      Comment


      • #4
        I know a guy on here who is about to sell a garage queen 88 ProStar 190, blue and cream. Keep your eyes open.
        If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

        1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
        275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
        Monster Tower & PerfectPass


        Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!


        "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Cloaked View Post
          ... You can sink another $5K into a boat easily enough on top of the 'great deal' price if it's trashed out. All sunken costs too.
          The thing is, you can sink $5k into a well preserved boat too. All sunken costs. Now alot of that can be "upgrades" if you will, but there is great deal of stuff that "can be/needs to be" replaced on a 20+ year old boat.

          Not everyone has the proper level of anal retentiveness (AKA MCOCD).

          After all, you will be out on the water with your family in this thing. You don't want it to break down / and or sink with you on it.

          The longer you plan to/decide to hold onto any boat (toy), the longer the costs amortize out as well. As the sage TMMC pointed out recently, we all walk the line on balancing present "needs" and future resale.

          My .02

          Keeping in mind that a brand new MC 190/197 is well north of $60k new. Its all relative in my mind.
          1991 ProStar / 351W with 1:1 Velvet Drive

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Double D View Post
            I know a guy on here who is about to sell a garage queen 88 ProStar 190, blue and cream. Keep your eyes open.
            Ill second that.... The boat he refers to is mint....Almost as clean as mine....

            Depends on where your located though as this boat will be in Ohio.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by half a can View Post
              I have been looking for an 87-89 Prostar for a few weeks and finally found an 89. The interior and exterior are both in immaculate shape - almost too good of shape for a 24 year old boat. The motor has just under 500 hours, and the last registration sticker is from 2005. The guy selling it has never ran the boat, he traded a truck for it and is now looking to sell the boat since he has 2 others already. He claims the boat was previously owned by a boat mechanic and was ran (with no valid registration) for a couple of weeks at the end of the season.

              My question is - what should I check on the motor and tranny? I will do a test drive and a compression check. Is there anything else to look for with a boat that has been sitting for potentially 8 years? The motor and bilge were just as clean as the rest of the boat and there was no rust anywhere. I hate to pass up an oppurtunity at such a well preserved boat, but am afraid of what is in the motor with it sitting for so long. Thanks for the help.
              ding..ding...you're almost too good says it all.... show us pictures and and let's hear her run.

              8 years sitting around...seals are probably in poor shape. Get a 5 gallon bucket and run it. When was the fluid in the tranny changed last.

              I can just imagine the crud sludge in the motor/tranny from just sitting for 8 years. I took apart my 2 HP - has't ran for 5 years - couldn't believe the crap that came out... cleaned it up put new gaskets in and got it running.

              Good news it's carbed so no ECU to deal with. Pictures, price... and what's your repair/restrore/rennovate dollar threshold once you buy it. How much can you fix yourself.
              sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

              Comment


              • #8
                Rubber parts will be the most affected from sitting. Engine and transmission seals, valve cover gaskets. A carb rebuild should be factored in as well as removing the fuel tank for a cleaning. Your decision should factor in whether or not you can do this work yourself, or if you have to take it in to the shop for work. This really sounds best purchased by someone who can do the work themselves.
                - Peter
                TANDEM AXLE PACKAGE - $950 DELIVERED WHEEL IMAGE
                5 14X5.5 T06 WHEELS W/5 ST215/75R14 KENDA LOADSTAR RADIALS SS CENTER CAPS, LUGS, MOUNTED, BALANCED & READY TO INSTALL

                PM or email me for tire, wheel or package pricing.
                CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
                LED lights, Chrome & Powder Coated Lugs
                2 LED 6" BRAKE LIGHTS DELIVERED $25

                tiresplease@gmail.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Lumbergh View Post
                  The thing is, you can sink $5k into a well preserved boat too. All sunken costs. Now alot of that can be "upgrades" if you will, but there is great deal of stuff that "can be/needs to be" replaced on a 20+ year old boat.

                  Not everyone has the proper level of anal retentiveness (AKA MCOCD).

                  After all, you will be out on the water with your family in this thing. You don't want it to break down / and or sink with you on it.

                  The longer you plan to/decide to hold onto any boat (toy), the longer the costs amortize out as well. As the sage TMMC pointed out recently, we all walk the line on balancing present "needs" and future resale.

                  My .02

                  Keeping in mind that a brand new MC 190/197 is well north of $60k new. Its all relative in my mind.
                  I've been called a lot of things, most of which would be censored here, but I think this is the first time I have been called sage.
                  - Peter
                  TANDEM AXLE PACKAGE - $950 DELIVERED WHEEL IMAGE
                  5 14X5.5 T06 WHEELS W/5 ST215/75R14 KENDA LOADSTAR RADIALS SS CENTER CAPS, LUGS, MOUNTED, BALANCED & READY TO INSTALL

                  PM or email me for tire, wheel or package pricing.
                  CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
                  LED lights, Chrome & Powder Coated Lugs
                  2 LED 6" BRAKE LIGHTS DELIVERED $25

                  tiresplease@gmail.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Do you have pics of the boat? Please keep us posted! If u end up passing on it I would be interested if the price is right. I'm always up for another project!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Here are some pics (i hope). Thanks for all the replys. I'm pretty mechanical - I've rebuilt my snowmobile a couple times and work on friends sleds. I also work on a couple of outboards I own, and my 04 Cummins. Between good websites like this one, manuals, and YouTube, I'm pretty confident I can figure out and repair most issues. The guy wants what I feel is a premium for the boat, so I need to make sure there are minimal issues with the drivetrain. He is wanting $6,800, and I believe he will be fairly firm on that price. NADA average retail is around $5,100. In looking at other adds across the country and judging from some of the crap out there, I don't think his price is too far out of line considering the condition, if the motor checks out to be in the same condition. What do you guys feel on the prices? I know there are several of these boats in the area in what I consider "trashed" condition that are asking for $7k. Other than some staining on the carpet and no decals on the transom, this one really looks like brand new. Thanks again for the help!
                      Attached Files

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Boat looks clean but with sitting there are concerns. Also, as I said earlier, there will be a similar boat on the market here soon that there would be no concerns and I dont think it would be a whole bunch more money. I can put you in contact with the future seller if you want. Just PM me.
                        If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

                        1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
                        275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
                        Monster Tower & PerfectPass


                        Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!


                        "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          pop the risers off see if they are still clear. compression test. all that good stuff... My fear would be she would check out fine - then when she's under load and hot - that's when the leaks will come.

                          Double D may have a better boat for ya.... or something to bargain with....
                          sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
                            I've been called a lot of things, most of which would be censored here, but I think this is the first time I have been called sage.
                            sage....maybe it was an auto-correct mishap...
                            sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I don't know what area you're from but ultimately it's gonna come down to what you're comfortable paying for the boat.it looks to be in decent condition cosmetically but the engine is a big deal. I would do a compression check and would definitely have to test drive it before paying the 6800 asking price. That is at the upper end of the scale and the boat needs to be in very good running condition for that. There are two ps190's in my area now one is a powerslot with 326 hours and u could pick it up for 5800.the other is a 1:1 that needs some interior work but runs extremely well with 600 hours for 4500. I would ensure that the boat runs and is in good mechanical condition and then I would make him an offer that you're comfortable with. Just my 2 cents

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X