ATF or 15w40?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATF or 15w40?

Picked up an '06 Meristar and changing the trans fluid out. I was told it would be wise to use 15w40 instead of ATF. Thoughts?

I use 15w40 for my 2011 X2. Some say it keeps the plates from "slapping" each other at idle and low speed, thus creating a quieter transmission.

Comment

V-drives and gear reduced transmissions from that era typically get the 15W40 to alleviate rattle.
      Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by psbudz View Post
        Picked up an '06 Meristar and changing the trans fluid out. I was told it would be wise to use 15w40 instead of ATF. Thoughts?

My 06 uses motor oil.
        Tim
        Gone, surfing.

Comment

Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
          My 06 uses motor oil.
          Plus 1.

Comment

Plus another

Comment

My dealer (Rambo Marine) advised me to use motor oil in my '99 205v.

Comment

I've always used ATF - but I have a DD.

One question for the masses - it is generally acknowledged in motorcycles with wet plate clutches that some motor oils (remember shared trans/engine/clutch lube) can cause reduced friction in the plates.

ANy issues in that with a velvet drive?

Comment

Use ATF Dex/Merc in a Velvet Drive and any 1:1.
                  Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I will go with 15w40 as I will be doing quite a bit of wakesurfing @ 10 to 12mph.

Comment

I think the issue was simply a rattle at idle. I switched over on mine and noticed a slight reduction in noise at speed, but mostly so I only have to carry one kind of oil for the boat.

Attached is the service bulletin describing this.
                      Attached Files
                      1998 Maristar 200VRS

Comment

Working...
                      X