Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 MC Prostar 205 LURCHING/SURGING

Hello,
    I am two weeks into ownership of a '94 205 with the 350 chev and the engine has troubles. It will drive fine with good power, steady speed and normal function. Then it will start to lurch/surge, usually after hitting it to go from zero. It sounds as if the engine is starving for fuel as it will cut power, then surge, cut, surge. In most cases it will stall right out after several surges and stalls. After one, two or three of these it will pop, sputter and then run fine for a period of time and then start all over again. It has plenty of fuel. I have not added fuel conditioner yet. Do these boats have fuel filters? Do fuel pumps on the way out behave this way? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, you should have at least one fuel filter. It should be on the back side of the motor.

You may also have one above the fuel tank if installed by the previous owner.

It sounds as if either you have a clogged filter or your fuel pump needs to be replaced.

Check the filter(s) first and then the pump secondly...might be a cheap fix.

Comment

Will do Rockman. Are the fuel pumps on these standard to the chevy 350 or specialized for marine use?

Comment

I am not 100% sure...I know a number of people have got them at Rock Auto and Napa so I believe they are non-marine.

Someone else can verify though. Sorry!

Comment

Yes skidim sells a marine one for 300+ the rock auto one under a bill. Also check plugs and distributor. Seafoam of throttle body works wonders on top end and fuel consumption.
          This forum is amazing with quality people.: I did not think i'd ever own an Inboard. Now I finally have a gorgeous 94 205 I am glad I have ya'll backing me up.

Comment

Before you buy anything run it with the flame arrester off and watch your injectors. If one is sputtering when the surge happens then I might be able to help.

I went through a similar problem and mine was the computer and the driver powering the injectors. Either search for posts by me to find it or I will post the link when I get home.

Sent from Never Neverland using my iPhone 4 on Tapatalk
            If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.
            1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
            275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
            Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams

Comment

Here it is:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=36482

Not saying its the same thing but maybe my experience (documented in this thread) can help...
              275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams

Comment

Hey Double D,
                From your thread it seems your main problem was at idle. Is that so? The main issue is the engine actually cutting out and re-engaging. It pulls hard then stops, pulls then stops and after a few seconds to minutes of this it usually runs fine again. Does this sound familiar?
                Last edited by Zad; 07-20-2014, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zad View Post
                  Hey Double D,
                  From your thread it seems your main problem was at idle. Is that so? While my engine does occasionally idle erratically (pulses very slightly) the main issue is the engine actually cutting out and re-engaging. It pulls hard then stops, pulls then stops and after a few seconds to minutes of this it usually runs fine again. Does this sound familiar?
                  Oops, I might have missed about it being under power. When mine did it it was mostly during idle, but when I was running the perfect pass on wakeboard runs it would do it then too so when my son made a cut the boat couldn't keep up.
                  275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar

Comment

Tonight I replaced the bilge pump, took off, cleaned and resealed the bulkhead that separates the ski locker from the engine bay and removed the fuel filter to see if it was plugged. I am able to easily blow through the fuel filter so I doubt that it is the cause of the engine cutting out. If this were the fuel pump wouldn't the engine be bogging down instead of cutting dead and then refiring, cutting dead and refiring? Somehow, even given my lack of mechanical experience, this feels more electrical in nature than mechanical given the sudden and complete cutoff of power and the sudden refiring. If I am off base, please set me straight.

Comment

Don't forget to check the screen at the base of the fuel pump. I add an inline fuel filter before the pump. I checked mine one winter and it was full of crud and mud. IT could also be a failing ignition module... make sure all connections are clean as well as inside your distributor cap.
                      sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Hey Mikeg205,
                        I have read about the filter at the base of the fuel pump however when I look at the fuel pump on the port/stern side of the engine I can't see how I would open it up to find a filter...looks like the pump housing is solid. What am I missing?

Comment

Hey Mikeg205,
                          I have read about the filter at the base of the fuel pump however when I look at the fuel pump on the port/stern side of the engine I can't see how I would open it up to find a filter...looks like the pump housing is solid. What am I missing?
                          Remove the pump - it's at the bottom of the pump. The larger of the 2 holes house the screen in the fitting...
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Just got a tip to change out the fuel/water separator...hadn't thought of that and will do today after work too.

Comment

Just got a tip to change out the fuel/water separator...hadn't thought of that and will do today after work too.
                              well ya didn't say ya had one of them... not stock on many boats here..

Comment

Working...
                              X