Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 Prostar 205

1998 MC with 5.7
    Hi...I'm new to boat ownership and just purchased a like new 98. I just tucked my boat away after doing a thorough winterization. I pulled the plugs and sprayed engine fogger into the cylinders and replaced the plugs with new plugs. Is that enough or should I pull the safety lanyard and turn the engine over? I also changed the fuel filter and changed all the fluids and of course drained the water from the appropriate locations. While cleaning the boat I found another fuel filter on top of my gas tank. A little research and I found out mC used a power steering filter at this location in 98. I called skidim and was told I could just use the identical filter that I had replaced on the engine. Has anyone else run into this and do u think I will be ok with the new filter that is not identical? Also I'm changing the location of the filter so it's easier to get to next winter. I'm moving it to the rear of the boat in the bilge area and it won't be in water. I also ordered it with barbed fitting so I can use hose clamps since it's between the tank and fuel pump...does this sound ok? Also, we live in hayden, Idaho and keep our boat on Hayden Lake. I can't believe at 56 years old we waited this long to get a boat...we surf no rope behind it and what a blast.
    Thanks, Larry
    Attached Files

Oh ya one more thing. Where can I buy a navigation light that goes on my tower on top of the rope saver? Thanks again

Comment

check attwood to see if they have that light. http://www.attwoodmarine.com/

congrats and welcome - I bought mine in 2010 - I waited way too long to get mine too.

mike
      sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Originally posted by Larry115 View Post
        I can't believe at 56 years old we waited this long to get a boat...we surf no rope behind it and what a blast.Thanks, Larry
        Don;t anyone tell him about the slalom course
        What does the fox say?

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...

Comment

Originally posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
          Don;t anyone tell him about the slalom course
          Yeah... no such thing... --- or that personal best thingy...
          sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Buy Your Last Boat First

@ Larry115
            You should have no trouble then with the old saying "Buy your Last boat First - Mastercraft".
            Looks fantastic, good luck and welcome to TeamTalk.
            1988 Tristar 190 Sport, 351W w/GT-40's, 1:1 Velvetdrive

Comment

Great looking boat! Which engine does it have? MY 205 had the LT-1 and had a fuel filter on top of the engine as well as on top of the fuel tank. If you follow the fuel line from the fuel pump, it should lead to that filter if it is a fuel filter. Good luck and welcome to TT.

Comment

98 205

My boat has the 5.7 vortec...assuming its a good engine. Ya 2 filters, 1 on the gas tank and the other on the engine. And thanks everyone for the welcome
                Larry

Comment

Great looking boat Larry. My first boat was a MC too.

Comment

Dumb question- what's the logic behind fogging and then putting new sparkplugs in? Wouldn't you want to wait until spring to put new plugs in, rather than letting them sit all winter?
                    G

Comment

Gwewver your right

I'm so new to this boat thing so what u said is exactly what I'm looking for. No logic I just did it. I will do better winterizing next year. Just looking for help and suggestions this year.....thanks for the input
                      Larry

Comment

I'm still trying to determine if pulling plugs and fogging cylinders is overkill. I do pull the lanyard and crank it a few times.

Comment

Cranking it after using fogging oil defeats the purpose of fogging. The rings will wipe the cylinders clean with only one stroke. Fogging the cylinders should be done last, no more turning of the motor.
                          1997 PS 205

Comment

Congrats

Larry, Congrats on the new boat- I'm same age and I started from the other end of the spectrum in that im in the middle of restoring a 98 205 that was really abused- so if there are any strange questions about the boat I might have (or will encounter it). Just yell. Welcome to the forum and congrats on the nice find. Dave

Comment

Larry, there is a winterization and de-winterization checklist on this site under the FAQ section thanks to EastTXSkier.There is a link up at the top left of the page. Nice boat.
                              1993 Blue Stars and Stripes Prostar Powerslot 351HO
                              Mastercraft: Face It - If you are not a good skier behind this boat, you are not a good skier.

Comment

Working...
                              X