Remove oil filter.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove oil filter.

I am having a heck of a time removing my oil filter. It won't budge and I have begun to collapse the tin housing. I'm using a rubber strap wrench. I have the LTR 330 the 351 was a lot easier to get to.
    https://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/302328.png

Oil Filter

From the looks of the picture, you're going the wrong way. The collapse is on the left side of the filter and the pressure should be on the right side? Unless you had the wrench in a funky way. Just like your other boat it should be very easy to get off. Now it maybe very tight so you may have to apply a little more pressure to get it loose.

You should be pushing the wrench toward the rear of the boat.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I thought it was righty tighty lefty loosey. I am pushing it away, turning it to the left. It's not left hand thread is it?
      Ok will try it the other way, WTH cant hurt.

Comment

It should be normal threads, I've never seen a reverse thread oil filter. Move closer to the base of the filter if you can. They are a lot stronger in that area.
        1990 prostar 190, 351, powerslot 1.5:1, tinted windows

Comment

I use one of these bottom filter wrenches. I have to tap it on with a hammer. Your current filter must have correct bottom to use this tool

There is a service advisory about the wrench.
          Attached Files
          Tim
          Gone, surfing.

Comment

Remove oil filter.

Ok I got it what a PITA. I was turning the correct way, what a booger to get off. I will have to invest in a different wrench for the next filter change.
            Than you for the help.

Comment

Great, they are not the easiest thing to get to!

I tighten mine by hand and now remove it by hand. I've never had a problem with one coming loose. Sometimes I have to put a wrench on it to get it off, but most of the time I can loosen it by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by zsqure View Post
                Ok I got it what a PITA. I was turning the correct way, what a booger to get off. I will have to invest in a different wrench for the next filter change.
                Than you for the help.
                Awesome, glad you got it off.

Don't forget to make sure that the old rubber gasket came off as well. Sometimes they stick to the bottom of the engine and make it a pain to get the new filter on and when you do they leak!
                Tim
                Gone, surfing.

Comment

Don't forget to lube the o-ring on the filter with a little oil before installation. It will be much easier to remove in the future.
                  - Peter
                  TANDEM AXLE PACKAGE - $950 DELIVERED WHEEL IMAGE
                  5 14X5.5 T06 WHEELS W/5 ST215/75R14 KENDA LOADSTAR RADIALS SS CENTER CAPS, LUGS, MOUNTED, BALANCED & READY TO INSTALL

PM or email me for tire, wheel or package pricing.
                  CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
                  LED lights, Chrome & Powder Coated Lugs
                  2 LED 6" BRAKE LIGHTS DELIVERED $25

tiresplease@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by jgraham37128 View Post
                    Great, they are not the easiest thing to get to!

I tighten mine by hand and now remove it by hand. I've never had a problem with one coming loose. Sometimes I have to put a wrench on it to get it off, but most of the time I can loosen it by hand.
                    I'm with you. I always hate changing filter when someone over tightens. I only hand tighten as well. Still always need tool to remove.
                    sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

A good ratchet helps in tight spaces too.

Comment

Originally posted by zsqure View Post
                        I am having a heck of a time removing my oil filter. It won't budge and I have begun to collapse the tin housing. I'm using a rubber strap wrench. I have the LTR 330 the 351 was a lot easier to get to.
                        I used a rubber strap filter wrench once. I use one that looks like that, but the strap is spring steel and it doesn't collapse filters, but I lube the o-ring and don't over-tighten them. Also, if the filter wrench falls in the pan full of used oil, like mine did yesterday, I just hand-tighten it.

It's best to grab the filter as close to the rolled edge as possible, because the can is strongest, there.

The 351 filter is a lot easier to reach, but it also leaks oil if the can isn't punctured and a container used to collect it before removing the filter. Personally, I think all motors should have a filter relocation kit, so the filter is at the top of the engine. The filter is punctured, the oil drains into the engine and once the filter is empty, it's removed without making a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by XtwentyNot View Post

A good ratchet helps in tight spaces too.
                          dang you bent the ratchet
                          sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

If you can't get if with a wrench I have used a screw drive thru the case to spin it off. It was a mess and the car had come from an oil change place
                            1981 MasterCraft
                            19' Skier 351W PowerSlot
                            Long gone is the Trans AM waiting for another

Comment

Originally posted by 1redTA View Post
                              If you can't get if with a wrench I have used a screw drive thru the case to spin it off. It was a mess and the car had come from an oil change place
                              Some oil change places are notorious for giving the filter a 1/2 turn with a wrench to be sure it doesn't leak. Those are the same guys who use a crescent wrench on the oil plug and crank it tight until the wrench slips and rounds the corners off.
                              - Peter
                              TANDEM AXLE PACKAGE - $950 DELIVERED WHEEL IMAGE
                              5 14X5.5 T06 WHEELS W/5 ST215/75R14 KENDA LOADSTAR RADIALS SS CENTER CAPS, LUGS, MOUNTED, BALANCED & READY TO INSTALL

PM or email me for tire, wheel or package pricing.
                              CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
                              LED lights, Chrome & Powder Coated Lugs
                              2 LED 6" BRAKE LIGHTS DELIVERED $25

tiresplease@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X