Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What oil extractor are you using?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What oil extractor are you using?

    Hi,

    Attempted changing the oil for the first time last week before the maiden voyage and just have a cheap Harbor Freight extractor. I pumped for an hour and got maybe a half quart.

    Just trying to not break the bank on one of these and a manual pump is fine as long as it works. I know for best results the oil should be warm.

    Any suggestions? West Marine pumps are about $60. I have an oil pan I can pump into as well.

    Thanks! This forum has been great so far

  • #2
    I bought a Topsider MVP. That thing will suck the tail-lights out of a dump truck!

    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too..._390306_390306

    Comment


    • #3
      I just use the drain line out the back of the boat and let gravity take care of the rest. I usually let it drain overnight after a run, then refill the next morning.
      Being on the water is best, but when I'm not on the water I'm on TT.

      2002 X Star
      Sold - 76 S&S

      Comment


      • #4
        http://www.marinenutz.com/products/P...iter-Pump.html

        Love it. Full discloser I have never used any thing else

        Comment


        • #5
          easy!!

          Bought one last month.. Best money spent is years!!

          http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7201-F...s=mityvac+7201

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 06MCX15 View Post
            I bought a Topsider MVP. That thing will suck the tail-lights out of a dump truck!

            http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too..._390306_390306
            Have you had any issues with the threads like some of the reviewers? Have you tried it with cool oil? You are in my price range!

            Originally posted by pmikler View Post
            http://www.marinenutz.com/products/P...iter-Pump.html

            Love it. Full discloser I have never used any thing else
            This looks solid. How long have you had it?

            Comment


            • #7
              I honestly have not had these issues with my Topsider. And I always pull out the Diesel oil from my engine and transmission cold in the off season. Again, it has really light duty use. I have changed the transmission and engine oils around 5x now. So give or take 10 oil pulls, I have not experienced any vacuum leak at the handle. I dont exert a huge amount of force on the pump when pumping as I am being careful inside the boat. I am sure there are other better units, but the price of the Topsider is what sold me.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 06MCX15 View Post
                I honestly have not had these issues with my Topsider. And I always pull out the Diesel oil from my engine and transmission cold in the off season. Again, it has really light duty use. I have changed the transmission and engine oils around 5x now. So give or take 10 oil pulls, I have not experienced any vacuum leak at the handle. I dont exert a huge amount of force on the pump when pumping as I am being careful inside the boat. I am sure there are other better units, but the price of the Topsider is what sold me.
                With the price you may have sold me!

                Comment


                • #9
                  I use this one for everything! Name:  e885ba1d15f87dac369a0f92d150ff97.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  32.9 KB
                  I was njskier on here.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jerseydave View Post
                    I use this one for everything! Name:  e885ba1d15f87dac369a0f92d150ff97.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  32.9 KB
                    Exactly the one I use. I think mine was called "Tempo" back when I bought it.
                    Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

                    Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

                    FAQ


                    Tyler Ski Club


                    To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by dhanni848 View Post
                      Hi,

                      Attempted changing the oil for the first time last week before the maiden voyage and just have a cheap Harbor Freight extractor. I pumped for an hour and got maybe a half quart.

                      Just trying to not break the bank on one of these and a manual pump is fine as long as it works. I know for best results the oil should be warm.

                      Any suggestions? West Marine pumps are about $60. I have an oil pan I can pump into as well.

                      Thanks! This forum has been great so far
                      I use one of these hand pumps from harbor and it has worked great. 5 mins connected to the drain line out the back and done. Possibly you have a defective one?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I have the green compressor type from HF and it works great.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I used the following pump for the engine oil and transmission fluid. I extract the engine oil first, then the transmission fluid. While pump is extracting transmission fluid, I remove engine oil filter and fill up the engine oil.

                          http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...Oil+Change+Kit

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            4 or 5 years and 20+ oil changes. I believe i paid around $100 for it on decent sale.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              This is my pump, from Princess Auto in Canada - very similar to Harbor Freight.

                              Also, an adapter I made to go into the pump, and it fits onto the Mastercraft/Indmar oil drain hose. This makes it quite slick - you are draining from the bottom of the pan, so no risk of getting the drain hose stuck in the dipstick tube. Also - very clean, no drips!

                              Takes about 5 minutes to suck the oil pan dry, with warm oil.

                              The 3rd fitting in the 2nd picture (barbed hose fitting) is not required...
                              Attached Files

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X