Insulation on Engine cover

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulation on Engine cover

My foam insulation under my engine covering is falling like snow in Colorado. Anyone have any tips for a replacement product? Where did you find the material?

Originally posted by Bradski
    My foam insulation under my engine covering is falling like snow in Colorado. Anyone have any tips for a replacement product? Where did you find the material?
    West Marine. Noise reducing insulation.
    ITCHIN' TO SKI, LET'S GO!!
    1985 MasterCraft Skier, Stars and Stripes
    351W with PowerSlot and Perfect Pass
    Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.

Comment

I just bought the I/O foil-backed noise reduction kit from overtons and plan to redo my insulation before it's warm enough to ski. There's a nice little how-to on the MBO Discussion Board

Motor Box Noise Reduction Installation How-to
      Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Comment

Well Doug the Malibu people should know they are the loudest boats around. I was lucky my factory foam in the engine compartment held up well. I reglued 1 section in 12 years. 3m spray glue works well. Get those projects done now cause soon you'll be doing those Dad projects.
        06 AWSA Approved Towboat

Comment

No doubt. Interestingly, it appears that Malibu does not offer the sound reinforcement as standard equipment, but as an option.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Comment

mine did the same and I removed it all and had LineX sprayed in.

Actually made a slight improvement over the foam, and looks MUCH better.

Comment

Looks good, JR.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Comment

Thats great, I know a guy that did that to whole inside of a jeep. Now he can hear the stereo.
                06 AWSA Approved Towboat

Comment

Originally posted by george
                  Thats great, I know a guy that did that to whole inside of a jeep. Now he can hear the stereo.
                  HUH? I can't hear you.... let me turn down the stereo in my Jeep

I'm Herculining my Jeep's tub this summer. Of course, I've been saying that for 2 years now. Maybe I'll actually get to it this summer!
                  If one day you're asked:
                  " How did you spend your time here on Earth?"
                  Will you say:
                  "I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
                  It's time to SKI.

Comment

JR--Can you give me a ball park figure of what the cost? Also, did it really make a difference quieting the engine. Thanks.
                    Brian

Current: 2000 ProStar 205

Former: 1987 ProStar 190

sigpic

Comment

If I remember correctly, the quote was $400 un-prepped and $100 prepped.

So, I scraped, scraped, scraped and scraped the insulation and glue off of the interior of the engine cover.

I used the guys at Line-X, and it turned out great. In and out in about an hour.

Comment

Just got my box back from the upholstery shop. Yeah, I decided I hate cutting patters and got them to cut and install the foam. I think it looks pretty good though. Snapped a couple of pics before I left the house after lunch.

I did the prep work like JR (and with price in mind). The foam came off really easily as its apt to do after 12 years. Instead of scraping, I used an adhesive remover called "Goof Off" that I picked up at Lowes. Then I took it to the car wash and hit it it some soap and water to get the Goof Off off. Shop vac'd and dried it, then off to the upholstery shop. Total cost was about $200 ($79 for the foam, adhesive and foil tape and $125 for the labor). I still have to attach some foam to the screen beneath the drink holders.

The hardest part was getting the motorbox off. Thanks, George, for the tip about pulling the floor up.

Here's the foam (disected). Much thicker than stock.
                        Attached Files

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Comment

Per George's instructions, I unscrewed the floor plate and rested it on the manifold risers. This made it much easier to get to the lock nuts securing the motorbox.
                          Attached Files

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Comment

Here's the finished product (sans the screen under theh cupholders).
                            Attached Files

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Comment

From the other side with better light.
                              Attached Files

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Comment

Working...
                              X