Fixing stiff steering

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing stiff steering

Here is a thread on how to fix your stiff steering.

Stiff steering could be a bad cable, stale grease in the rudder box, a bad helm, or stale grease in the cable housing.

After gaining access to the steering cable and rudder box, remove the cable from the box and remove the cable from the bracket that holds the cable to the hull.

It should now look like this.

Name:  bd4f27a6a560a529dfa2c0a26c513020.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  64.7 KB
    Last edited by Kyle; 12-15-2012, 03:03 PM.
    Rollin' Gangsta Style

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
    If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

Then remove the cable from the bracket like this

Name:  08bee99df8bc45ff581ebb6fd7d1a66b.jpg
Size:  43.9 KB
    Rollin' Gangsta Style

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
    If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

Comment

Taking the cable apart like this will not require re-adjusting of the steering wheel.

Clean the inside of the steering bracket tube. It will be full of old nasty grease.

Name:  83f2c12b1fc4fa2047afc694f2cc63ed.jpg
Size:  59.3 KB
      Rollin' Gangsta Style

Comment

Then clean the cable that goes in the tube real good.

Name:  91aa72fa0ee639062bbd1faa7f6aacb4.jpg
Size:  51.8 KB
        Rollin' Gangsta Style

Comment

Following that step turn the wheel all of the way to where the cable fully extends.

Clean this part of the cable real nice.

Name:  284d95d77381d7dc72ef245f9c0e9729.jpg
Size:  43.8 KB

At my finger the outer cable housing goes over the inner cable.

Run it in and out several times cleaning it good. I soaked the cable in WD40 and ran it all the way from right to left and cleaned it then repeated several times.

Name:  c04ec8dbbe5fed59e74cae662e67e5a5.jpg
Size:  44.0 KB
          Rollin' Gangsta Style

Comment

Cleaning the outer housing was hardest.

I took an oil drain pan and put some gas in it. I ran gas through the tube.

Name:  fd2ddc61bfedf40f78f246ab6884e019.jpg
Size:  69.3 KB

Then take a paper towel and cram it into the tube and find something to ram rod it all of the way through.

I was not willing to use my shotgun cleaning tools so I used a paper towel and a broken golf club.

Name:  000f42707d64e46e43d26d033ea63d13.jpg
Size:  69.5 KB

Now everything is clean and dirt free.
            Rollin' Gangsta Style

Comment

Then I took the rudder out of the rudder box.

Fortunately it was clean and no work was required.

Also I'm lucky as my trailer oils not let the rudder come out all of the way. It was dropped down enough to know 100% that it was not dirty. It was real clean.

I re assembled that. No pics sorry
              Rollin' Gangsta Style

Comment

Nice shoes.....

93 190
                Don't be a boot licker

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

sigpic

..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
                NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Comment

While doing this project I noticed a hole in the tubing.

This is where a grease fitting used to be. I am headed to find a new fitting now so more info coming after I get back from the store.
                  Rollin' Gangsta Style

Comment

Originally posted by Cloaked View Post
                    Nice shoes.....

Thank ya sir
                    Rollin' Gangsta Style

Comment

Nice write-up Kyle.
                      - Peter
                      TANDEM AXLE PACKAGE - $950 DELIVERED WHEEL IMAGE
                      5 14X5.5 T06 WHEELS W/5 ST215/75R14 KENDA LOADSTAR RADIALS SS CENTER CAPS, LUGS, MOUNTED, BALANCED & READY TO INSTALL

PM or email me for tire, wheel or package pricing.
                      CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
                      LED lights, Chrome & Powder Coated Lugs
                      2 LED 6" BRAKE LIGHTS DELIVERED $25

tiresplease@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                        Here is a thread on how to fix your stiff steering.

Stiff steering could be a bad cable, stale grease in the rudder box, a bad helm, or stale grease in the cable housing.

After gaining access to the steering cable and rudder box, remove the cable from the box and remove the cable from the bracket that holds the cable to the hull.

It should now look like this.

Name:  bd4f27a6a560a529dfa2c0a26c513020.jpg
Size:  64.7 KB
                        Can you demonstrate this on Mike O's SN?
                        2002 Blue Prostar 197, 0 Flex Tower, Perfect Pass, and The Preditor-ADHD Skier

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :

Comment

tsst tsst, snapon screwdrivers are not to be used as pry bars, chisels or punches.
                          Last edited by j.mccreight@hotmail.com; 12-15-2012, 06:27 PM.
                          James

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com View Post
                            tsst tsst, snapon screwdrivers are not to be used as pry bars, chisels or punches.
                            That's what Harbour Freight is for
                            sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

I think you know, but just in case, remember that the zerk (grease) fitting that goes into the steering cable/tube needs to not have the internal check valve. That is so that extra grease can be released and be expeled via the zerk. Otherwise, your steering can be very, very tight or even locked up. A normal zerk fitting will cause you problems at that location.

Good luck - let us know how the steering feels. You know, before/after, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X