Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airguide Speedometer Conversion to GPS

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am holding in my grimy little hands the first Airguide speedometer prototype conversion to GPS. I tested this prototype today and it appears to be working well.

No more leaks or clogs!

Stand by….
    Dean
    Classic Boatworks

Really can't wait to see pics.. and a good price...
    sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

How am I going to get rich if I give "a good price"

Seriously, it is too soon to talk price. It will be competitive.

From the front it will look no different. Some modification of the back of the case will be necessary and I need to explore the best internal mounting solution. Right now it fits into the current internal mechanism holder after removing all mechanical parts. A bit awkward my first try. I will work on this aspect. Hopefully, I can show photos of the internal circuit soon. All my questions are not yet answered but I am pretty excited about being able to offer this option soon.

Comment

lol... Ok...$325 is the benchmark... vs. smart phone... included ... love the idea...
        sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Yeah, but a smart phone doesn't look nearly as cool!

Comment

Cool idea. Good luck. Will probably stick with my pitot driven Airguide though. I already have SG, and it is nice to be able to compare speed over water to speed over ground when we are on the river.
            Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Classic Boatworks View Post
              You are correct sir!

Comment

Originally posted by east tx skier View Post
                Cool idea. Good luck. Will probably stick with my pitot driven Airguide though. I already have SG, and it is nice to be able to compare speed over water to speed over ground when we are on the river.
                What kind of differences do you see and how is this relevant to skiing? This is a river issue and not applicable to lake use?
                Thanks,
                Dean

Comment

For free skiing, it affects how fast I am moving relative to the water. A boat traveling at 34 mph on the gps in a 2 mph current feels faster or slower to the skier depending on if the boat is traveling with or against the current. Having a traditional speedo (assuming I calibrated it in open water) to compare to the GPS gives me an idea of how much I would want to adjust the speed control to counteract the current.

This is a nonissue in a slalom course since speed over ground, which GPS measures, is all we care about. But in a slalom course, I'm relying on speed control and not paying much attention to my airguide.

Not bagging on your idea. I actually think it's really great. I'm just pointing out one of the advantages, for some, of having a traditional speedo in addition to a GPS speedo.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Comment

I didn't think you were "bagging". I just never really understood the importance of speed over water vs. speed over ground. I do understand the effect of current but not in relationship to skiing. As with all things it won't be for everybody... darn it!
                    Thanks,
                    Dean

Comment

Can't wait to see some video. Good luck with it!

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Comment

Great to hear you are working on this.
                        - Peter
                        TANDEM AXLE PACKAGE - $950 DELIVERED WHEEL IMAGE
                        5 14X5.5 T06 WHEELS W/5 ST215/75R14 KENDA LOADSTAR RADIALS SS CENTER CAPS, LUGS, MOUNTED, BALANCED & READY TO INSTALL

PM or email me for tire, wheel or package pricing.
                        CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
                        LED lights, Chrome & Powder Coated Lugs
                        2 LED 6" BRAKE LIGHTS DELIVERED $25

tiresplease@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg205 View Post
                          lol... Ok...$325 is the benchmark... vs. smart phone... included ... love the idea...
                          Originally posted by Classic Boatworks View Post
                          Once you get this worked out, perhaps you can work with one of the phone manufacturers to make a smartphone that looks like an Airguide speedometer.
                          - Peter
                          TANDEM AXLE PACKAGE - $950 DELIVERED WHEEL IMAGE
                          5 14X5.5 T06 WHEELS W/5 ST215/75R14 KENDA LOADSTAR RADIALS SS CENTER CAPS, LUGS, MOUNTED, BALANCED & READY TO INSTALL

PM or email me for tire, wheel or package pricing.
                          CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
                          LED lights, Chrome & Powder Coated Lugs
                          2 LED 6" BRAKE LIGHTS DELIVERED $25

tiresplease@gmail.com

Comment

--------------^----------Has excite!

JTR
                            1983 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes
                            Cream/Red Metal Flake
                            "Powerslot"
                            "The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
                            -Charles Chaplin-
                            sigpic

Comment

I need some input.
                              One of the limitations I am running into is the total sweep of the needle motor is 315 degrees. On a 3 to 50mph dial, like most of you have, the needle has to do one of two things.

1. To reach 50mph the needle comes to rest at 5 mph.
                              2. If the needle settles at the post or 3 mph it will not quite reach 50 mph.

How big of a deal is this? I know if I were calibrating for myself I would let the needle set at the post. I have never had a boat that would actually go 50 mph! Does yours?
                              The gps will actually read up to 200 mph. The limitation is the scale not being over 315 degrees. It appears that finding a motor that will cover a broader range of degrees is problematical
                              but I am not certain about this.

In YOUR opinion is this a problem that should be resolved before further developement?

Thank you for your input,
                              Dean

Comment

Working...
                              X