Nylon vs Polypropylene

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nylon vs Polypropylene

Hey guys. I bought a box anchor and don't want to lose her. Which type of rope do you use for your anchor? And is there any sort or minimum width I should get?

I guess while I'm at it I might as well ask what type of knot you guys use?
    Last edited by Hogwild; 03-31-2013, 12:23 AM.

Of those two materials - nylon.

If you have access to it - amsteel/dyneema etc. are pretty nice.

Knots - if you are doing an anchor i'd get a line with a spliced in ferrule end, then use a clevis.

If not that then you'd want to do something like a figure of 8 and burn whip the tag end.

Comment

I believe they say 3/8 for boats up to 26ft as a guide. You should base it upon the weight of your boat and the conditions you will encounter; 3/8 will most likely do the job and not be too big. An anchor line with factory eye-spliced with a thimble is nice.

Example: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...6#.UVfJvRw3t8E

You should attach the anchor to the rope with a shackle. Don't forget to use the safety wire.

Example: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...3#.UVfKRBw3t8E

If using a knot, I would use the anchor knot: https://www.google.com/search?q=anch...D7%3B500%3B289

They say the scope for a box anchor is 2:1 (50ft of depth = 100ft rope). Although I have had good luck with such scope using the box anchor, I still carry 100ft of rope even though I only anchor in shallow water (In deeper water I just drift). Higher scope only helps.

Honestly, at this point I mostly just use the 50ft anchor buddy. I mainly seek shallow (somewhat) protected coves to anchor in.
      I love to travel, but hate to arrive. ~~ A. Einstein
      -----
      You donít stop riding because youíre getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.
      -----
      Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a Ride! ~~ Hunter S. Thompson
      -----
      My wakeboard is calling, and I must go ride! ~~ Me

Comment

You are going to love the box anchor. They are great. I swear by mine.

Originally posted by Hogwild View Post
        Hey guys. I bought a box anchor and don't want to lose her. Which type of rope do you use for your anchor? And is there any sort or minimum width I should get?

I guess while I'm at it I might as well ask what type of knot you guys use?
        sigpic

Comment

After using anchors like this as a kid, I have come to appreciate a good anchor.

- Peter
          TANDEM AXLE PACKAGE - $950 DELIVERED WHEEL IMAGE
          5 14X5.5 T06 WHEELS W/5 ST215/75R14 KENDA LOADSTAR RADIALS SS CENTER CAPS, LUGS, MOUNTED, BALANCED & READY TO INSTALL

PM or email me for tire, wheel or package pricing.
          CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
          LED lights, Chrome & Powder Coated Lugs
          2 LED 6" BRAKE LIGHTS DELIVERED $25

tiresplease@gmail.com

Comment

From the same place that makes the anchor.

http://www.slideanchor.com/Hlm_ShopI...b-1afb6b4b1033
            Tim
            Gone, surfing.

Comment

Originally posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
              After using anchors like this as a kid, I have come to appreciate a good anchor.

Those look like the anchors I made for my first slalom course back in "62". Worked well for the bouys, but the fishermen kept snagging the line and dragging them out of position.

Comment

Looking for new anchor line myself. I got a new anchor from my daughter for Christmas with a 50 foot 1/4" line.

The problem is the last anchor was lost because we had a 50 foot line and threw the anchor in where it was 60' plus deep.
                STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER

Comment

Originally posted by ski_king View Post
                  Looking for new anchor line myself. I got a new anchor from my daughter for Christmas with a 50 foot 1/4" line.

The problem is the last anchor was lost because we had a 50 foot line and threw the anchor in where it was 60' plus deep.
                  Oops............................bye bye anchor
                  - Peter
                  5 14X5.5 T06 WHEELS W/5 ST215/75R14 KENDA LOADSTAR RADIALS SS CENTER CAPS, LUGS, MOUNTED, BALANCED & READY TO INSTALL

tiresplease@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
                    Oops............................bye bye anchor
                    Forget to tie off the anchor line before throwing the anchor over board? Or did the 1/4 line snap?
                    I love to travel, but hate to arrive. ~~ A. Einstein
                    -----
                    You donít stop riding because youíre getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.
                    -----
                    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a Ride! ~~ Hunter S. Thompson
                    -----
                    My wakeboard is calling, and I must go ride! ~~ Me

Comment

Well, my daughter got it for me because se was the one that was to tie it to the boat.
                      STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER

Comment

Originally posted by GoneBoatN View Post
                        Forget to tie off the anchor line before throwing the anchor over board? Or did the 1/4 line snap?
                        That's what Gilligan did to cause the SS Minnow to be shipwrecked.

http://www.gilligansisle.com/crew.html
                        - Peter

tiresplease@gmail.com

Comment

Well, my daughter got it for me because se was the one that was to tie it to the boat.
                          That was awfully nice of her to replace the anchor.
                          - Peter

tiresplease@gmail.com

Comment

Nylon is stronger and more abrasion resistant than poly.
                            I avoid the floating poly because in party lines etc when the boat changes direction and a line goes slack, the excess line floats on the surface. This is prime to wrap in a prop of yours or some one passing too close.

My choice is 1/2" x 150' minimum. It is not that much more expensive than half. If it becomes a little damaged it is still plenty strong to do the job. 3/8 or god forbid 1/4 is compromised much sooner.
                            If caught in a prop the larger diameter will usually wrap up and kill the motor so the jackazz can not get away with a dumb look on his face as happens when smaller line is cut. Once wrapped it is easier to unwrap than thinner line.
                            Why 150'min? too many examples as to why 50 or 100 is not sufficient for normal use. Then factor in the occasion the boat breaks down in deeper water and you need to anchor before blowing into shore or visit a different lake with deeper anchorage.
                            Always entertained when we go to LOTO. It is a deeper lake for several cove out locations and especially Shootout where depth is 60-100' See tons of people with lines straight down because they don't have enough and wonder why they are drifting........
                            1991 MariStar 240sc, 454, tower, WetSounds, Krypt and Rockford Fosgate

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I know that the box anchor doesn't require a chain, but would it hurt to attach one just in case?

Comment

Working...
                              X