Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you remove rub rail marks on the boat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you remove rub rail marks on the boat?

We had a bad storm and when pulling into the dock the boat hit the rub rail pretty hard and we have some white rub rail marks on the boat in several different spots.

1 we have them all over our black rub rail on the boat
    2 we have one long white mark on a black boat

What is the best way to remove these marks?

thanks!!

on the boat - cleaner wax works well. vinyl cleaner may work - it's what I used to remove some scuffs on my black rub rail.
    sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Acetone on the rubrail followed by 303 works well.
      -Cameron
      2007 ProStar 197
      1996 ProStar 190

Comment

What Sodar said^ easy,breezy,japaneezy.
        1996 ProStar 190
        PCM ZR6 W/ Zero Off

Comment

So sounds like I'm set for the rub rail. Would you ever use the Acetone on the actual body of the boat?

I have tried the cleaner wax with no luck. Someone local suggested using a rubbing compound, but it doesn't seem like its the right fit, any suggestions here?

Comment

Acetone won't hurt the gelcoat at all. You will just have to re-wax after you are done.

CNC routing, Signs, Plaques, 3D carving/turning, Butcher blocks

Comment

thanks for the info, I know acetone is some strong stuff and just didn't want to apply it without knowing if I would be messing things up. I'll let you all know how it works.

Comment

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

Comment

Originally posted by nkknutson View Post
                  thanks for the info, I know acetone is some strong stuff and just didn't want to apply it without knowing if I would be messing things up. I'll let you all know how it works.
                  Keep it away from the decals...at least the ones you want to keep

Comment

Any suggestions for getting them off the decal? I got a majority of it by just using my fingernail, but you can still see it right across the big x-10 in thaide.

Comment

post some pics so we can see what you are working with?
                      sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Acetone works really well for any hull scuffs, but not something you want to use regularly. Denatured alcohol works almost as well, but will not harm vinyl, gel coat, etc. It will remove stickers and vinyl lettering if left on for a while, but not instantly like acetone does.
                        2013 X55 6.2 OPS & Gen 2
                        Home Water: California Delta / San Francisco Bay

Comment

Goo gone
                          sigpic

Comment

"Pinstripe removal wheel", available at your local auto parts store for around $18. It's basically a glorified pencil eraser that you chuck into your drill.

I just removed all of the pinstripes and goo associated with them in about an hour with one of these. It would work fantastic on rub rail marks. Doesn't harm paint or gel. I was literally flabbergasted at how well it worked, and you'll save yourself the rubbing.

Comment

Working...
                            X