X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel pump price difference

Here is the RockAuto page for the Carter P60987 fuel pump:
    http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=297078

If says it is for "General Mtrs. Marine 350/5.7L 1994-96" among others. I have a '97 with the GM 350 5.7L tbi. Will this one work for me?

On RockAuto this fuel pump is only $38.99.

On Skidim, the fuel pump that I think I would need is this:
    http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=55-6014
    but the price is $325!

Doesn't seem realistic that there could be such a price difference for the same part. Anyone know if the RockAuto part will work for me?

Okay, after some more research it does seem that the Rock Auto part is a replacement part for my engine, but it is somewhat concerning to buy a part for $40 that someone else is selling for $325. Just seems fishy. Makes me feel like I am missing some important information.

Comment

Rock Auto buys in huge quantity. They can afford to sell at a discount. All dealers sell at huge profits. It truly pays to shop around.
      1981 stars and stripes -powerslot
      sand with red metalflake stripe

Comment

Looks like mikeg205 tried that one from RockAuto:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=54116

His thread doesn't say much for the quality of the RockAuto pump, but at least he got it working

Comment

My too-good-to-be-true alarm went off with the pricing difference, but the mikeg205 thread is part of what convinced me the Rock Auto part will work. There has also been talk on the forum about the P60962 pump -- interestingly, the Summit Racing site lists both parts (though neither are in stock) but describes the 60987 as an "external" pump while the 60962 is an "in-tank" pump. Also found another site that describes the 60987 as being the pump for TBI engines while the 60962 is for MPI engines.

My engine is TBI and the pump is external and connected to the engine, so that is another confirmation that the 60987 part should work for me. Keeping fingers crossed.

Comment

I just received my RockAuto pump the other day. Delivery was very quick (2 days). It was in good packaging with the factory caps on and looks new. I plugged it in and gave it a 2 sec spin test and it spun. I'm going to replace my fuel lines and hook it up tomorrow. PO had replaced original pump with auto pump. I'm not thinking that the auto pump is terribly dangerous but the $40 pump is worth the peace of mind to me.

Comment

I orderd one after Mike's post, same experience new in bag with caps on fuel inlets. $39 is cheap insurance. Same engine 350 indmar std on a 1997.

Comment

Old new stock RockAuto found. It's the carter pump. Buy it and check it. - Rockauto has been known to do liquidation on auto and marine parts.
                sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg205 View Post
                  Old new stock RockAuto found. It's the carter pump. Buy it and check it. - Rockauto has been known to do liquidation on auto and marine parts.
                  Has it been verified that the P60987 will only work with the older TBI 5.7's (25-35 PSI) not the MPI (Corvette) 5.7 (50-60 PSI)

Thanks, Steve
                  My progress thread: 1998 Maristar 200 VRS

Comment

Originally posted by hig View Post
                    Has it been verified that the P60987 will only work with the older TBI 5.7's (25-35 PSI) not the MPI (Corvette) 5.7 (50-60 PSI)

Thanks, Steve
                    That's the impression I have gotten from other threads. Here is a link to what people are saying is required for the MPI:
                    http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/mm5/merch..._Code=MER7F-IB

Comment

Here is another place that has it:
                      http://www.marineexhaustmanifolds.co...-and-parts.htm

Comment

Alternate Fuel Pump - Owners Manual Specs

I have a 95 LT1 and have been looking for a replacement fuel pump. My Owners Manual says my LT-1 requires 30-45 PSI. If the P60987 goes up to 35 PSI - seems like this should work just fine until the inlet screen gets clogged
                        For $32 probably worth a try. Maybe the high-pressure P60962 is for those who never do preventive maintenance

Comment

Talked with Carter Pumps technical support - they say the P60987 is rated 40-57 PSI/40-65 gall/hour (too strong for carbs) and the P60962 is rated 60-120 PSI/44-63 gall/hour. Given the LT-1 specification in the owners manual says required pressure is 30-45 PSI, it would seem to me that both pumps "should work" just fine; but I don't claim to be an expert just working with the data? Thoughts?

Comment

That spec should make it work just fine $32 at rock auto - order it up!
                            sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Originally posted by BarefootWt View Post
                              Talked with Carter Pumps technical support - they say the P60987 is rated 40-57 PSI/40-65 gall/hour (too strong for carbs) and the P60962 is rated 60-120 PSI/44-63 gall/hour. Given the LT-1 specification in the owners manual says required pressure is 30-45 PSI, it would seem to me that both pumps "should work" just fine; but I don't claim to be an expert just working with the data? Thoughts?
                              Wow... when I called before the tech could not give me specs... lol awesome find... awesome info.

Comment

Working...
                              X